The Falcons could always draft a QB and let him sit for 3 years. Trade back in round 1 and get someone like Mac Jones.

No.  Your examples were in the old CBA, completely different times then.  It makes no sense in today’s world to draft any first rounder and sit them for two years, let alone three.  And if we stay put and draft someone at four, it makes no sense to sit them even a year.  When’s the last QB taken top five that sat his entire first year?  It doesn’t happen for a reason.  Even all those bad teams picking in those spots understand that.

• Falcons Fan MVP changed the title to The Falcons could always draft a QB and let him sit for 3 years. Trade back in round 1 and get someone like Mac Jones.
8 minutes ago, Rings said:

No.  Your examples were in the old CBA, completely different times then.  It makes no sense in today’s world to draft any first rounder and sit them for two years, let alone three.  And if we stay put and draft someone at four, it makes no sense to sit them even a year.  When’s the last QB taken top five that sat his entire first year?  It doesn’t happen for a reason.  Even all those bad teams picking in those spots understand that.

My dream scenerio would be trading back in round 1 and picking up Mac Jones.

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

It worked out great for Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers. 

It's a real possibility since Terry Fontenont said something about addressing biggest needs in free agency. 

Steve Young was a different situation.

Young was looked at as a bust when he played for the Bucs before backing up Montana and learning under Walsh. He was more of a reclamation project and wasn't a player drafted to groom.

20 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

My dream scenerio would be trading back in round 1 and picking up Mac Jones.

Why?  We know Ryan is starting this coming year, he is more than likely starting the following year, they may even extended him to help with his cap hit.  

Is it a given that Ryan will play into his 40’s?  Probably not.  

Is it time to start thinking about the future?  Yes.  

Is it time to pull the trigger and have that QB sit on the bench when it’s all but guaranteed you waste half of his cheap rookie contract, which is the biggest benefit of having a rookie QB?  No.  

Ryan won’t be here forever, and whether you like Ryan or not, it’s too early to address his replacement in this draft given Ryan’s cap hit the next two years.

And sitting anyone for three years that you take in the first round is just absurd.  They would be negotiating a second contract before their first start.

52 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

It worked out great for Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers. 

It's a real possibility since Terry Fontenont said something about addressing biggest needs in free agency. 

45 minutes ago, Rings said:

Yep. Tired of lazy examples or folks who never lived through those moments. 

Young was traded as back up from Tampa. IIRC Niners gave up a second round or something like that for Him. 

Rodgers situation is entirely different. GB needed a QB in 2005, after Favre went in to off season with out commitment and said it was year to year for him. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

Young was traded as back up from Tampa. IIRC Niners gave up a second round or something like that for Him. 

Rodgers situation is entirely different. GB needed a QB in 2005, after Favre went to off season with out commitment and said it was year to year for him. 

Exactly.  If Ryan was threatening retirement for multiple seasons than this would make sense.  He isn’t.  Not once.

AS/TF either think They can win with Matt under centre or they don't. If they do then you use the 4th pick to help the team win and address the QB somewhere down the line. If they don't then you take a QB and figure out how best to get Matt out of here. To me you don't have a plan to win with Matt and then take a QB to sit.

15 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Rodgers situation is entirely different. GB needed a QB in 2005, after Favre went to off season with out commitment and said it was year to year for him. 

Yep, exactly.

Different situations based on the time and circumstances.

As for Young, people tend to forget he was a starting QB on the pro level in the USFL and the Bucs before backing up and taking over after Montana with Niners. Although the first 2 was very short lived, he wasn't a QB that the Niners drafted to replace Montana. Young was more of a reclamation project by Walsh.

Don't understand why that part of Young's career is so often forgotten by many. I remember it so easily.

15 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

You can't burn a top 5 pick on a guy that intentionally  will not see the field for 2 or 3 years.

You are right, I wouldnt draft within top 5 and expect them to sit for more than 1 year.  And even if we pick up one later 1st or early second, I wouldnt expect him to sit no more than 2 years. Anything longer would be late 3rd or deeper in the draft. Just my thoughts. 

22 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yep, exactly.

Different situations based on the time and circumstances.

As for Young, people tend to forget he was a starting QB on the pro level in the USFL and the Bucs before backing up and taking over after Montana with Niners. Although the first 2 was very short lived, he wasn't a QB that the Niners drafted to replace Montana. Young was more of a reclamation project by Walsh.

Don't understand why that part of Young's career is so often forgotten by many. I remember it so easily.

We are showing our age. Lol. Ironically Favre was a reclamation project for GB. Favre would have been out of the league in couple of years if he stayed with Falcons. I forgot about The short lived USFL. Herschel Walker played in USFL too. 

TF has been plucking veteran backups off the waiver wire and late trades practically every offseason for the past 20 years and has been successful at it.

When he says BPA in the draft, he is not talking about a 3-4 year backup.  

Which accessible QB in this draft has the skillset to take this job from Ryan in the next 2 years?

TBH, and it's JMO, I sure hope we don't pick up Mac Jones... I mean geesh, I just want to have a bit more playmaking ability with our next QB and that means mobility & athleticism.  Statue Mac just ain't ringing my bell LOL.  

But for some reason, his name keeps regurgitating itself on the board.  I guess I would be disappointed is what I am trying to say.  Just ready for more dynamics from the next choice at QB.  Now he might be a good leader, good passer etc... but I am hoping for that & more with the next one I guess.

I totally get why people want to draft a QB early but just feels like we are trading this year's  first rounder to 2022, 2023 or 2024 with no compensation and no assurance he would work out.  For three years, if he did pan out, you only have one year before he becomes crazy expensive.  While I have a higher opinion of Mac Jones after watching film, (top 15 but my #4 QB behind TL,ZW and JF), we don't need him either. 

I say trade back, get a player who can help the team now and pick up an early 2nd.  Grab a QB in the 3rd or 4th who has traits and can come in and learn to be Arthur Smith's system and siphon some of Matt's experience.  Heck I actually think Benkert could be really good in Smith's system.

Edited by Monolith2001
1 hour ago, Rings said:

Why?  We know Ryan is starting this coming year, he is more than likely starting the following year, they may even extended him to help with his cap hit.  

Is it a given that Ryan will play into his 40’s?  Probably not.  

Is it time to start thinking about the future?  Yes.  

Is it time to pull the trigger and have that QB sit on the bench when it’s all but guaranteed you waste half of his cheap rookie contract, which is the biggest benefit of having a rookie QB?  No.  

Ryan won’t be here forever, and whether you like Ryan or not, it’s too early to address his replacement in this draft given Ryan’s cap hit the next two years.

And sitting anyone for three years that you take in the first round is just absurd.  They would be negotiating a second contract before their first start.

I guess it depends if AS and TF feel they can find our future QB in a late first round pick in the next couple of years vs the early pick this year.

6 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I guess it depends if AS and TF feel they can find our future QB in a late first round pick in the next couple of years vs the early pick this year.

It’s so hard to tell year to year.  No one was talking about Joe Burrow this time two years ago and then he’s the obvious #1 overall pick the following draft.