Nose Guard/Tackle, 0 or 1 technique

*TMo*

I have not paid a lot of attention to Coach Pees defensive alignment. I know it changes based on who they're playing. I do, however, understand he runs a good bit of 3/4. With our roster right now who would play the 0 or 1 technique? Grady Jarrett with obviously play the 3.

8 minutes ago, *TMo* said:

I have not paid a lot of attention to Coach Pees defensive alignment. I know it changes based on who they're playing. I do, however, understand he runs a good bit of 3/4. With our roster right now who would play the 0 or 1 technique? Grady Jarrett with obviously play the 3.

Most likely candidates on the roster would be Senat or Davison. Provided they aren't cut

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

Tyler Shelvin would be a great candidate, too. Late rounds another name to check out is Khyris Tonga of BYU. 

My first take is stay away from Shelvin. I've been looking to see who other teams are drafting and both the Broncos and Dolphins media gurus list him as a DT to avoid. He gets handled and eliminated often in one on one (can't maintain against multiple blockers), and can't clog the line according to those guys.

Maybe he's more of a penetrating DT0/DT1 if that's Pees' type. I dunno.

I still think a trade down in rd 1 and draft Christian Barrmore from Bama makes sense. The DL would be :

Marlon Davidson-End, Barrmore-NT, Grady-End

LBs would be:

Mykal Walker-OLB, D Jones-ILB, Foye-ILB, Dante Fowler-OLB.

That would be nice. All 4 LBs can blitz well, the Ends can definitely set the edge, and Barrmore has shown at Alabama that he can penetrate. There would be no way our opponents would know where the pressure would be coming from...

1 hour ago, *TMo* said:

I've noticed early drafted nose guards usually don't bring the value spent. Maybe we can draft a middle rounder that could be a steal.

My thought is the good ones actually provide nice value while they are on their rookie contracts but then they barely ever get re-signed. 

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

(Khyris Tonga)

My mocks have us getting him with our 6th, if I don't manage to get one of the other guys: Tufele, McNeill, Shelvin, Slaton. There are a few even later who could be possibilities if we just need power, but not skill. 

This roster doesn't have a true 0 tech. the closest would be Senat who played this at USF. Davison played DE in college and is possibly a cut. So this is definitely a need. I would say in FA maybe DaQuan Jones from Tenn. But this looks like a draft need as well. 

The ones that I like have already been called out in this thread. I'd double down. McNeil will likely be a 2-3 round pick, but Slaton could slide to the 6th. I'd grab both of them, as I think McNeil is very much like Grady and has some position flexibility.

4 hours ago, Alomar said:

I still think a trade down in rd 1 and draft Christian Barrmore from Bama makes sense. The DL would be :

Marlon Davidson-End, Barrmore-NT, Grady-End

LBs would be:

Mykal Walker-OLB, D Jones-ILB, Foye-ILB, Dante Fowler-OLB.

That would be nice. All 4 LBs can blitz well, the Ends can definitely set the edge, and Barrmore has shown at Alabama that he can penetrate. There would be no way our opponents would know where the pressure would be coming from...

I have a real problem drafting a guy that high who literally only played great ball for a few games. Before that he was a ghost. Whoever we pick in round one needs to have as few questions as possible, because we can’t muck this one up. 

The best risk/reward NTs are going to be had between rounds 3-7. 

1 hour ago, GrimeyKidd said:

This roster doesn't have a true 0 tech. the closest would be Senat who played this at USF. Davison played DE in college and is possibly a cut. So this is definitely a need. I would say in FA maybe DaQuan Jones from Tenn. But this looks like a draft need as well. 

Senat doesn’t actually exist. We just mass dreamed about him a few years back. 😄

13 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

Id prefer a McNeil. But he could opt for Heavier in Tyler Shelvin or Tedarral Slaton 

McNeil is an excellent prospect, but I don’t know if he’s a true NT. He seems more of a Grady type. I won’t be upset if we draft him, regardless. 

15 hours ago, thanat0s said:

I have a real problem drafting a guy that high who literally only played great ball for a few games. Before that he was a ghost. Whoever we pick in round one needs to have as few questions as possible, because we can’t muck this one up. 

The best risk/reward NTs are going to be had between rounds 3-7. 

I like your thought process, but the risk/reward I can't really wrap my head around. Sure if we get a NT in those rounds and he turns out to be average, then that is a good reward. If we draft a NT in 1st or 2nd round and he turns out to be all-pro, that would still be a good reward. Every draft pick is a gamble. There are just higher expectations from early draft picks in comparison to lower draft picks, and every year there are lower draft picks that outshine higher draft picks...