Falcons held virtual meeting with CB Asante Samuel Jr.

birdz4i

Matt Urben
Wed, February 17, 2021, 2:11 PM·1 min read

6e0794e364917f3530e7a38f63aebcd1

Despite addressing the position in the first round of the 2020 draft, the Atlanta Falcons still have a need at the cornerback spot. According to Justin Melo of The Draft Network, the Falcons were one of six teams to hold a virtual meeting with Florida State cornerback Asante Samuel Jr.

Analysts expect Samuel Jr. to be drafted somewhere between the second and third rounds. In 2020, he finished with 22 tackles, three interceptions, six passes defended, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble. He’s also the son of former NFL CB Asante Samuel.

Scouts believe Samuel Jr. is best suited to play in a man coverage scheme, which the Falcons played a lot of last season and could do so again in Dean Pees’ defense.

Here’s Samuel Jr. going up against Georgia Tech.

https://sports.yahoo.com/falcons-held-virtual-meeting-cb-191133564.html

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Don't watch anything FSU until they play my boys but if he's anything like his pops, I'm cool with it. 

I don’t think he’ll get anything close to his pops... Sr. is one of the best ball hawks ever. He should be HOF caliber on his ball skills alone.

1 hour ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Somebody had opinion on here that he was a fifth rounder at best and had horrible stats this year.

Im all about some blood lines on this team

Well he don't seem able to get off of a block from a WR. That's a little concerning considering they block even better at the next level. I also saw safety, especially on that first pick where he was playing closer to the middle of the field. 

Roger that

39 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Well he don't seem able to get off of a block from a WR. That's a little concerning considering they block even better at the next level. I also saw safety, especially on that first pick where he was playing closer to the middle of the field. 

Roger that but think the pros are looking at his 29 PD and 4 INT. 

18 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Roger that

Roger that but think the pros are looking at his 29 PD and 4 INT. 

He does seem to be a ball hawk. Maybe at safety he wouldn't have to worry about those WR blocks. He could just ball.

But then if he's got cover skills... he's a tough one to peg, and if he can do multiple things that might be even better.