Bold prediction: The Falcons will pick Penei Sewell.

4 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

Well that’s the same thing ppl are starting to say about Wilson trust me nobody wants to miss on the next Mahomes, Josh Allen or Herbert ... how many teams are kicking themselves for missing them ... bet you Detroit wish they took Herbert instead of Okudah 

Now nobody knew Mahomes would be this great this soon. Drafting Wilson and thinking he is the next Mahomes is wrong. You draft him to be the next Zach Wilson. He isn’t on Mahomes level as far as throwing the ball. He had 1 great year at BYU. Mahomes had 2

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There isn't a "Super" QB in this draft. Lawerence is as close as you'll get, and he's not an option.   Fields, Wilson, Jones, etc aren't super...

Terry Fontenot had made it clear that he wants to build for the long haul. He comes from a place where the top priority was to protect Drew Brees.   Fontenot knows first hand how Cameron Jordon

I'm not convinced selecting a Top 5 player with the #4 pick is that bold.  But OP made some great points why Sewell selection makes sense.    

Just now, youngbloodz said:

Now nobody knew Mahomes would be this great this soon now. Drafting Wilson and thinking he is the next Mahomes is wrong. You draft him to be the next Zach Wilson. He isn’t on Mahomes level as far as throwing the ball. He had 1 great year at BYU. Mahomes had 2

I’m not saying he’s Mahomes I’m saying teams realized they missed big time on guys like Mahomes Josh Allen Lamar and Herbert going forward the QB position is at an all time high of importance teams will do whatever it takes to get that guy whether it means even reaching 

Just now, JetJones11 said:

I’m not saying he’s Mahomes I’m saying teams realized they missed big time on guys like Mahomes Josh Allen Lamar and Herbert going forward the QB position is at an all time high of importance teams will do whatever it takes to get that guy whether it means even reaching 

I liked Herbert a lot last year. Even more than Burrows. Lamar needs to get better T throwing the ball for real. And the Ravens need to get him a number 1 WR. I get your main point though 

54 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

You don’t draft a guy at 4 to play guard LOL ... arm chair GMs 

where exactly did I say I was: a - being arm chair gm, and b - advocating for drafting him at 4 in that post you quoted? what I said was in reference to someone else saying moving the line around to draft him at four would be a bad idea.

the only thing worse than arm chair GM's are you internet knowitall types who try to make it look like a post says something it doesn't. Just because you're in the crowd who thinks we're spending the fourth pick in the draft on a guy who's going to spend most of his beneficial to the team rookie salary on the bench.

now having said that, so saying something like "you don't draft a guy at 4 to play guard LOL"  DOESN'T make YOU an armchair GM???? what a joke and a hypocrite. New coach and GM BOTH are quoted at saying they'll take BPA even if it's at a position of strength on the team. so that leaves the door open to drafting the guy many pro's have pegged as the second best player in the draft behind Lawrence to play LG, and moving him to LT in a few years when Jakes contract is at a point we can move on from him.

Sewell is clearly the BPA after Lawrence. I personally don't think he makes it to our spot anyway

10 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Add Tony Boselli to the all-time great out of college list.

I think Sewell will be a good player in the NFL but actually like Slater's ceiling more. Just can not see yet another 1st round pick to protect Ryan, when is enough resources enough? I make no excuses about it I want either Fields or Wilson at 4. They might not be there but as much as I hate the idea of any D player at 4....I would rather go D at 4 than another OL pick.

Thanks for the mention of Boselli. 

13 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Justin Fields is being "over-thought" as well.   His career completion percentage is 69.2%.    He has 67 passing TDs, only 9 INTs which is a healthy 7.4/1 TD/INT ratio.  He's 6'3", 228lbs, will run a 4.5-4.6/40 and is a strong/fast runner with the ability to make plays, extend plays, move the chains for first downs and has a very strong arm.

The combo of the way he left UGA and the "anti-OhioState QBs in NFL" history has everyone overthinking Justin Fields.   That said, he does have some more development and only had basically 1.5 years as a starter instead of the typical 2-3 year starter - so he's a little behind the curve there.   He's not as good now today as he will be - but he's dayum good now.

There will be a lotta "yeah we should have saw this" hindsight from the doubters now in three years when he's a star in the NFL.

I admit I do have some negative bias due to the OSU system and how they haven’t converted to the NFL. But I also have concern w how he played against top defenses this season. He was great against Clemson, but struggled against Indiana, Alabama and especially Northwestern. Maybe the NW game sticks out because I watched that game live...good thing Sermon broke out that game.

That said, I won’t go as far to say he is a guaranteed bust or something, but I personally am skittish of taking him at 4...then again I admit I don’t have the talent eye of a scout and may be wrong. 

13 hours ago, JetJones11 said:

Lol **** you need to be a GM dawg ... pre draft nobody thought Mahomes was “super” or he’d be on the Browns ... Herbert 3rd QB taken and bases off one year already looks like a top 10 QB 

What are you talking about? Mahomes and Watson were the top 2 QBs in the Draft...

A.) Trubisky was the only QB taken before Mahomes. And everyone thought the Bears screwed the pooch.

B.) Watson had just won the Nat Championship and went AFTER Mahomes.

17 was a horrible draft for QBs. Only 10 QBs drafted. 3 in the First (And with the exception of the Bears going dumb, only Mahomes was top 10)

13 hours ago, JetJones11 said:

Exactly why he’s the perfect pick for us he can sit and develop for a year plus he’s a hometown kid the fan base will be reinvested in the team and he can come along slowly ... all this Wilson hype is cool hype him all the way up till JF falls in our lap at 4

You don't pick a QB at 4 and park him on the bench. It doesn't happen. At all. Ever. You can't. I've broken this down before. Out of all of the 1st round QBs drafted the last few years, all played minus Jordan Love.

And of those, the failure rate is thru the roof.

This is a misnomer. If you draft a player in the top 5-10, they are expected to come in and play, day one. If you pick a QB at 4, they're playing. Here, this is history...

Burrow, Tua, Herbert all played. Love didn't, but we heard the howling for Love at the beginning of the year.

19... Kyler, Jones, Haskins.

18... Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson. All played.

17... Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson. All played (Mahomes started 1 game.)

16... Goff, Wentz, Lynch. All played.

15... Winston, Mariota All played.

14... Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater All played.

13... Manual All played.

12... Luck, RGIII, Tannehill, Weeden All played.

11... Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder All played.

Strikethrough is dudes who either aren't playing anymore, have been cut/traded/released, or just don't play at a level worthy of their position.

30 QBs in the first round since 2011. Of those, only 1 didn't play. We'll say 2, even though Mahomes did play 1 game. Of those 30, 11 are doing at least "ok" (being generous with young guys like Burrow, Herbert, Kyler, Jones). Only 1 has stayed relevant in the league for more than 5 years, Tannehill. And he was mostly done until he went to TN.

So... Lets look at what we can see here.... Most QBs come in and fail to stick. Almost all taken in the 1st round play.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:33 AM, blknoble357 said:

I need to see that article, Ryan does hold onto the ball too long at times

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/22/cam-jordan-compliments-matt-ryans-quick-release/

Cam Jordan compliments Matt Ryan's quick release

usatsi_8863029.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Tim Weaver 

November 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Top Rated

One key to watch for tonight’s game between the Falcons and the Saints is how Atlanta looks to neutralize defensive end Cameron Jordan.

Containing Jordan will fall not only to the Falcons offense line, but how quick quarterback Matt Ryan can get rid of the ball. Ryan excels in this area and Jordan admitted to Tiffany Blackmon at NFL Network that it “irritates the **** out of me.”

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cam Jordan told me Matt Ryan’s quick release “irritates the **** out of me” 🤣 “His release is one of the fastest in the game... he’s a veteran type QB that you hate to go against because of his fast release... look at the drop depth... Matt’s somewhere in that 5 to 7yd range.”</p>&mdash; Tiffany Blackmon (@tiffblackmon) <a href="https://twitter.com/tiffblackmon/status/1065373271363862534?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 21, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jordan has given the Falcons offense plenty of problems in the past. In 15 career meetings with Atlanta, Jordan has posted 13 tackles for a loss and 12 sacks, his highest total against any team.

On 2/17/2021 at 2:49 AM, I Even Bleed Red said:

Terry Fontenot had made it clear that he wants to build for the long haul. He comes from a place where the top priority was to protect Drew Brees.

Fontenot knows first hand how Cameron Jordon has owned Matt Ryan (correction: owned Jake Matthews).

Arthur Smith comes from a team that emphasizes the trenches.

Sewell is ranked the 2nd best player in the draft behind Trevor Lawrence.

He is consider the most dominant O-Lineman to have ever come out of college.

If he gets past the Jets, we will draft him at 4th overall. In fact, we’d be lucky to have him.  

Long haul? Then that means getting rid of matt Ryan since he's old right?

On 2/17/2021 at 8:03 AM, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I’m VERY OK with that. 

Drafting the best OT in the draft will make the line way better for a long time!

I have said for years that the day we upgrade at OT is the day our line is going to take off.

We have a really good LT already.  Browns had the best LT in the league for a decade and never once made the playoffs.  I don’t think it’s quite that simple.

Just now, Herr Doktor said:

Money well spent.  Henny probably could move to LG, Gono swing tackle, and then draft an interior lineman.  We don't need to be caught flat footed again with oline holes.

Exactly. Especially at center. Mack made a world of difference for our OL and now we need a top, long-term replacement for him.

2 hours ago, Tandy said:

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/22/cam-jordan-compliments-matt-ryans-quick-release/

Cam Jordan compliments Matt Ryan's quick release

usatsi_8863029.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Tim Weaver 

November 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Top Rated

One key to watch for tonight’s game between the Falcons and the Saints is how Atlanta looks to neutralize defensive end Cameron Jordan.

Containing Jordan will fall not only to the Falcons offense line, but how quick quarterback Matt Ryan can get rid of the ball. Ryan excels in this area and Jordan admitted to Tiffany Blackmon at NFL Network that it “irritates the **** out of me.”

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cam Jordan told me Matt Ryan’s quick release “irritates the **** out of me” 🤣 “His release is one of the fastest in the game... he’s a veteran type QB that you hate to go against because of his fast release... look at the drop depth... Matt’s somewhere in that 5 to 7yd range.”</p>&mdash; Tiffany Blackmon (@tiffblackmon) <a href="https://twitter.com/tiffblackmon/status/1065373271363862534?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 21, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jordan has given the Falcons offense plenty of problems in the past. In 15 career meetings with Atlanta, Jordan has posted 13 tackles for a loss and 12 sacks, his highest total against any team.

Thanks....thats good to know

6 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

What are you talking about? Mahomes and Watson were the top 2 QBs in the Draft...

A.) Trubisky was the only QB taken before Mahomes. And everyone thought the Bears screwed the pooch.

B.) Watson had just won the Nat Championship and went AFTER Mahomes.

17 was a horrible draft for QBs. Only 10 QBs drafted. 3 in the First (And with the exception of the Bears going dumb, only Mahomes was top 10)

Yeah and they were drafted 10 and 12th overall is the point so many teams are kicking themselves for not drafting them 

2 hours ago, JetJones11 said:

Yeah and they were drafted 10 and 12th overall is the point so many teams are kicking themselves for not drafting them 

So these 2 examples are justification for us drafting a QB at 4?

You realize that nothing about Mahomes or Watson has any bearing what-so-ever on this years draft class, right?

1 hour ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

So these 2 examples are justification for us drafting a QB at 4?

You realize that nothing about Mahomes or Watson has any bearing what-so-ever on this years draft class, right?

Wow some of you are really dense ... teams will not make the same mistake of passing on potential QBs if they have any questions about their starter ... which we definitely do the only reason he’s still on this roster is his salary not cause he’s soooo good 

Wow some of you are really dense ... teams will not make the same mistake of passing on potential QBs if they have any questions about their starter ... which we definitely do the only reason he’s still on this roster is his salary not cause he’s soooo good 

They literally pass on QBs all the time. Rodgers was passed over. Brady was passed over. Every QB not drafted #1 was passed over.

But, you know what doesn't happen? QBs getting drafted in the 1st to sit. Teams drafting a QB when they have a MVP on the roster who is still under contract and playing at an extremely high level. 

The Lions and Redskins just passed on Tua and Herbert.