Bold prediction: The Falcons will pick Penei Sewell.

Without seeing what we or any other team does in Free Agency I think this is the most likely scenario.  It is equally possible that he is not available at #4 however depending on how the evaluation of the young QB's goes.  I remember that Dwayne Haskins was looked at as a possible top 5 pick about this time of year in 2019. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terry Fontenot had made it clear that he wants to build for the long haul. He comes from a place where the top priority was to protect Drew Brees.   Fontenot knows first hand how Cameron Jordon

I'm not convinced selecting a Top 5 player with the #4 pick is that bold.  But OP made some great points why Sewell selection makes sense.    

There isn't a "Super" QB in this draft. Lawerence is as close as you'll get, and he's not an option.   Fields, Wilson, Jones, etc aren't super...

11 hours ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Terry Fontenot had made it clear that he wants to build for the long haul. He comes from a place where the top priority was to protect Drew Brees.

Fontenot knows first hand how Cameron Jordon has owned Matt Ryan (correction: owned Jake Matthews).

Arthur Smith comes from a team that emphasizes the trenches.

Sewell is ranked the 2nd best player in the draft behind Trevor Lawrence.

He is consider the most dominant O-Lineman to have ever come out of college.

If he gets past the Jets, we will draft him at 4th overall. In fact, we’d be lucky to have him.  

Lol just stop. I would almost bet anything we don't draft or sign a T, unless its a new swing T if we let Gono walk. Other wise all we will be drafting is a G and I am not taking a G at 4 when we need a lot of other things. I can get a real good G in FA or the draft in rounds 3-4. 

3 hours ago, celtiksage said:

Hahaha that would be bold. I bet he's on our "do not draft" list with all the talk from TF that "it's not just about winning", but "winning the right way". After which he always talks about morals and character. Scratch Parsons.

Yeah, because the Saints always exhibited good moral character. Especially their ownership (The cover-up.), Sean Payton (don't even get me started.), Greg Williams, etc. 

45 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

and you know that how exactly?

Mahomes and Watson weren't super, either remember?

If people actually paid attention to Mahomes in college they would have known he was the best thrower of the ball. But people paid too much attention to the Texas Tech system and not Mahomes traits. And I have to go back and look to see why Watson slipped 

13 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

If people actually paid attention to Mahomes in college they would have known he was the best thrower of the ball. But people paid too much attention to the Texas Tech system and not Mahomes traits. And I have to go back and look to see why Watson slipped 

Justin Fields is being "over-thought" as well.   His career completion percentage is 69.2%.    He has 67 passing TDs, only 9 INTs which is a healthy 7.4/1 TD/INT ratio.  He's 6'3", 228lbs, will run a 4.5-4.6/40 and is a strong/fast runner with the ability to make plays, extend plays, move the chains for first downs and has a very strong arm.

The combo of the way he left UGA and the "anti-OhioState QBs in NFL" history has everyone overthinking Justin Fields.   That said, he does have some more development and only had basically 1.5 years as a starter instead of the typical 2-3 year starter - so he's a little behind the curve there.   He's not as good now today as he will be - but he's dayum good now.

There will be a lotta "yeah we should have saw this" hindsight from the doubters now in three years when he's a star in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Justin Fields is being "over-thought" as well.   His career completion percentage is 69.2%.    He has 67 passing TDs, only 9 INTs which is a healthy 7.4/1 TD/INT ratio.  He's 6'3", 228lbs, will run a 4.5-4.6/40 and is a strong/fast runner with the ability to make plays, extend plays, move the chains for first downs and has a very strong arm.

The combo of the way he left UGA and the "anti-OhioState QBs in NFL" history has everyone overthinking Justin Fields.   That said, he does have some more development and only had basically 1.5 years as a starter instead of the typical 2-3 year starter - so he's a little behind the curve there.   He's not as good now today as he will be - but he's dayum good now.

There will be a lotta "yeah we should have saw this" hindsight from the doubters now in three years when he's a star in the NFL.

Hey I agree. I have said it plenty of times people keep focusing on the Ohio State system and it’s just like when people were focusing on the Texas Tech system. People should look at traits and not the system. Only thing the system means is Fields should sit his first year like Mahomes 

7 hours ago, etherdome said:

Pardon my ignorance but who considers Sewell the best OL to EVER come out of college.  I consider Orlando Pace and Anthony Munoz as the top OT’s to come out of college.  Sewell is a top prospect but he has technical flaws (correctable) that put him at least a notch below the two I mentioned.

As always, there is a lot of hype in draft talk.

Add Tony Boselli to the all-time great out of college list.

I think Sewell will be a good player in the NFL but actually like Slater's ceiling more. Just can not see yet another 1st round pick to protect Ryan, when is enough resources enough? I make no excuses about it I want either Fields or Wilson at 4. They might not be there but as much as I hate the idea of any D player at 4....I would rather go D at 4 than another OL pick.

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Hey I agree. I have said it plenty of times people keep focusing on the Ohio State system and it’s just like when people were focusing on the Texas Tech system. People should look at traits and not the system. Only thing the system means is Fields should sit his first year like Mahomes 

that's correct.   People are looking more at the system the "one read" system and projecting that to "Justin Fields is dumb and cannot read defenses".    Fields literally ran the Ohio State system the way it was required to be run - and he ran it very well.      I know the Ohio State system is QB-centric and you have JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins and those guys never did squat in the NFL - but is that Justin Fields' fault?    Fields was an elite prospect coming out of High School - next level elite.   He has done nothing in college to disappoint.   He's a smart kid, uber athlete and has every trait the NFL wants in a QB.    Does he have to  continue to develop? Sure.

2 hours ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Lol just stop. I would almost bet anything we don't draft or sign a T, unless its a new swing T if we let Gono walk. Other wise all we will be drafting is a G and I am not taking a G at 4 when we need a lot of other things. I can get a real good G in FA or the draft in rounds 3-4. 

What FA G do you have in mind? or to draft in rounds 3-4 who you would start day 1? 

14 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

What FA G do you have in mind? or to draft in rounds 3-4 who you would start day 1? 

Man there are a ton, but we could free up money for a Joe Thuney or even bring in another stop-gap G to compete with a rookie. As far as the draft I don't follow college a ton, but Gs can be had in 3rd and 4th all day.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/guard/

3 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Yeah, because the Saints always exhibited good moral character. Especially their ownership (The cover-up.), Sean Payton (don't even get me started.), Greg Williams, etc. 

I'm just saying. That's all he's preaching after having read AB's book. So I think Parsons will be on a different team.

He's been introduced to the filter. The filter is real. 🤣

5 hours ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I'm all for drafting Sewell, but I don't feel like we would move Jake to the right side or inside to OG. Dude has been playing LT his entire career and has been way above average. If we take Sewell I think he battles it out at RT with McGary and probably wins, but McGary can't play LG (in my opinion). So do we draft him to just replace McGary or do we draft him and let him play LG and move outside if someone gets injured?

Whatever the scenario, if he improves the O line then I am for drafting him. I'm also fine with taking Slater and just sticking him at LG. I'm also fine with signing someone in FA. Just fix the O line. 

as mentioned somewhere up above, Sewell spent some time at LG before moving to LT in college, just put him there for a few years and see what they wanna do with Jake after that...

11 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

There isn't a "Super" QB in this draft. Lawerence is as close as you'll get, and he's not an option.

Fields, Wilson, Jones, etc aren't super...

Lol **** you need to be a GM dawg ... pre draft nobody thought Mahomes was “super” or he’d be on the Browns ... Herbert 3rd QB taken and bases off one year already looks like a top 10 QB 

4 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Well that’s the same thing ppl are starting to say about Wilson trust me nobody wants to miss on the next Mahomes, Josh Allen or Herbert ... how many teams are kicking themselves for missing them ... bet you Detroit wish they took Herbert instead of Okudah 

2 hours ago, papachaz said:

as mentioned somewhere up above, Sewell spent some time at LG before moving to LT in college, just put him there for a few years and see what they wanna do with Jake after that...

You don’t draft a guy at 4 to play guard LOL ... arm chair GMs 

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

that's correct.   People are looking more at the system the "one read" system and projecting that to "Justin Fields is dumb and cannot read defenses".    Fields literally ran the Ohio State system the way it was required to be run - and he ran it very well.      I know the Ohio State system is QB-centric and you have JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins and those guys never did squat in the NFL - but is that Justin Fields' fault?    Fields was an elite prospect coming out of High School - next level elite.   He has done nothing in college to disappoint.   He's a smart kid, uber athlete and has every trait the NFL wants in a QB.    Does he have to  continue to develop? Sure.

Exactly why he’s the perfect pick for us he can sit and develop for a year plus he’s a hometown kid the fan base will be reinvested in the team and he can come along slowly ... all this Wilson hype is cool hype him all the way up till JF falls in our lap at 4