Bold prediction: The Falcons will pick Penei Sewell.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There isn't a "Super" QB in this draft. Lawerence is as close as you'll get, and he's not an option.   Fields, Wilson, Jones, etc aren't super...

Terry Fontenot had made it clear that he wants to build for the long haul. He comes from a place where the top priority was to protect Drew Brees.   Fontenot knows first hand how Cameron Jordon

I'm not convinced selecting a Top 5 player with the #4 pick is that bold.  But OP made some great points why Sewell selection makes sense.    

1 hour ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Lol he is the 2nd best player in the draft. It's a bold prediction because no many have us taking him, when in fact, he may not make it past the jest or the Finns. 

LOL, first thoughts I had too.  

Uh, yeah, it might be one of the most likely scenarios which means it's not too bold at all.  No disrespect intended.

6 hours ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Terry Fontenot had made it clear that he wants to build for the long haul. He comes from a place where the top priority was to protect Drew Brees.

Fontenot knows first hand how Cameron Jordon has owned Matt Ryan (correction: owned Jake Matthews).

Arthur Smith comes from a team that emphasizes the trenches.

Sewell is ranked the 2nd best player in the draft behind Trevor Lawrence.

He is consider the most dominant O-Lineman to have ever come out of college.

If he gets past the Jets, we will draft him at 4th overall. In fact, we’d be lucky to have him.  

So really, based upon all these factors, this isn't really a bold prediction.

7 hours ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Terry Fontenot had made it clear that he wants to build for the long haul. He comes from a place where the top priority was to protect Drew Brees.

Fontenot knows first hand how Cameron Jordon has owned Matt Ryan (correction: owned Jake Matthews).

If he gets past the Jets, we will draft him at 4th overall. In fact, we’d be lucky to have him.  

WOW! Dude you REALLY went on a limb with this prediction! I will stay tuned for more HOT TAKES.  #GoodStuff

2 hours ago, Falcons_time_is_now said:

I do agree that drafting Sewell would help strengthen our trenches..but it kind of makes me believe we still will have a void at LG. Sewell plays LT, Matthews moves to RT, and that leaves McGary where? If we were planning on moving any of the 2 previous tackles to guard..they would be there currently. Just a thought!

I'm not so sure. McGary is the weakest link, but Hennessy isn't proven either. Matthews could move in to LG just as easily as to RT (moving him to RT starts juggling everyone). But good stepping out there OP.

This isn’t too bold, because honestly it would be the logical pick. I worry about his short arms tho; recent history says that he will struggle to anchor against bull rushers because of his arms like Jake Matthews and Jonah Williams in Cincy. I would love to have an all-pro caliber tackle because that would add a year or two to Matt Ryan’s career. We must fortify the trenches if we are to do anything going forward.

2 hours ago, Falcons_time_is_now said:

I do agree that drafting Sewell would help strengthen our trenches..but it kind of makes me believe we still will have a void at LG. Sewell plays LT, Matthews moves to RT, and that leaves McGary where? If we were planning on moving any of the 2 previous tackles to guard..they would be there currently. Just a thought!

They won't move Matthews. He'll be the LT. Sewell will play LG. Matthews, Sewell, Hennessey, McGary, Lindstrom. That would be your lineup from Left to right.

Just now, Macintez said:

This isn’t too bold, because honestly it would be the logical pick. I worry about his short arms tho; recent history says that he will struggle to anchor against bull rushers because of his arms like Jake Matthews and Jonah Williams in Cincy. I would love to have an all-pro caliber tackle because that would add a year or two to Matt Ryan’s career. We must fortify the trenches if we are to do anything going forward.

Exactly my point. Not bold when most people have been saying this for months...

7 hours ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

And id be down for that...I just need him to get past the Jets and the dolphins if that's the case instant transmission to the podium

2 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

There are QBs in the later rounds.

I'm curious what you think about Ian Book.  I've been looking at him since I heard them mention on Sirus NFL that he led the Irish to two straight undefeated regular seasons.  The knock on him seems to be height, which QBs like Wilson and Brees have shown is not that great an issue, and NFL readiness, which I honestly think is an issue with a lot of these guys, especially some that people want us to take at 4 overall.  

If he can develop into a solid backup, burning a 5th or 6th on him would be low risk, potentially great reward.  I don't know that he ever develops into a starter, but the things he doesn't have you can teach, excepting arm strength and size, and the things he does have you can't teach.

10 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Here's a bold prediction, TF throws caution to the wind and drafts Parsons with #4.  

Hahaha that would be bold. I bet he's on our "do not draft" list with all the talk from TF that "it's not just about winning", but "winning the right way". After which he always talks about morals and character. Scratch Parsons.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

I'm curious what you think about Ian Book.  I've been looking at him since I heard them mention on Sirus NFL that he led the Irish to two straight undefeated regular seasons.  The knock on him seems to be height, which QBs like Wilson and Brees have shown is not that great an issue, and NFL readiness, which I honestly think is an issue with a lot of these guys, especially some that people want us to take at 4 overall.  

If he can develop into a solid backup, burning a 5th or 6th on him would be low risk, potentially great reward.  I don't know that he ever develops into a starter, but the things he doesn't have you can teach, excepting arm strength and size, and the things he does have you can't teach.

Thanks for asking. Hes a viable backup 

25 minutes ago, papachaz said:

that's what sewell is, he's the superman of this draft after lawrence

I agree that Sewell is a superman as well.  I think the new regime would be extremely interested in nailing on this 1st pick, and looking to eliminate the "what if" factor with any top 5-10 prospect.  Sewell is the most Pro level player in the draft, and also has upside to develop beyond.  Even Lawrence is a risk with how QBs actually develop and look after 5 years in the league.  To say that any of the other QB's are "superman" is a stretch at best.  I would go with the least question marks, plus a player that has extremely high ceiling.

I'm all for drafting Sewell, but I don't feel like we would move Jake to the right side or inside to OG. Dude has been playing LT his entire career and has been way above average. If we take Sewell I think he battles it out at RT with McGary and probably wins, but McGary can't play LG (in my opinion). So do we draft him to just replace McGary or do we draft him and let him play LG and move outside if someone gets injured?

Whatever the scenario, if he improves the O line then I am for drafting him. I'm also fine with taking Slater and just sticking him at LG. I'm also fine with signing someone in FA. Just fix the O line. 

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Should have just stick with Ettling.