QB deep ball 2020-2021 season

Interesting.  Ryan's usually top 5 in these.  Wonder if he had a drop off this year on the deep ball.

There are only 50 of them, would be neat to see a cut up, to see how many were throwaways/last minute plays.

But it wouldn't surprise me if the deep ball wasn't as good as normal.  Everything looked bad this year.

4 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Interesting.  Ryan's usually top 5 in these.  Wonder if he had a drop off this year on the deep ball.

There are only 50 of them, would be neat to see a cut up, to see how many were throwaways/last minute plays.

But it wouldn't surprise me if the deep ball wasn't as good as normal.  Everything looked bad this year.

Julio on the sidelines coaching all year probably didn't help.

Also had the 4th most drops in the nfl.

1 minute ago, takeitdown said:

Matt ryans deep ball passes are mediocre at best, but good timing is what really matters, when offense is in sync matt ryans deep balls are top 5. But we all know how bad our offense has been since koetter took over

3 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah, I'd have to go rewatch but I don't want to expose myself to that garbage again but I'd say 1) no protection plus 2) no play action plus 3) no pre-snap motion plus 4) no run game plus 5) no Julio plus 6) poor route concepts all played a large part in this.  

Just now, athell said:

Yeah, I'd have to go rewatch but I don't want to expose myself to that garbage again but I'd say 1) no protection plus 2) no play action plus 3) no pre-snap motion plus 4) no run game plus 5) no Julio plus 6) poor route concepts all played a large part in this.  

No run game is a big one. 6 or 7 defenders can play coverage every single down. Even if julio was playing it would be easy to double him every down with zero threat of a running game. Koetter is just awful

2 minutes ago, dapanch420 said:

Matt ryans deep ball passes are mediocre at best, but good timing is what really matters, when offense is in sync matt ryans deep balls are top 5. But we all know how bad our offense has been since koetter took over

I'd push back on this and say his deep ball passes are only mediocre at best to Julio.  He constantly underthrows him, and I don't think it's an arm strength issue because he will then hit Oz in stride for a 60 yard dime.  If he can lead Julio a little more, both of their numbers skyrocket.  That and his propensity to hold onto the ball at times...but when the guys aren't getting open and there is no run game to keep Safeties honest...

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Well here is clean pocket sample but I mostly agree.

For reference, this is from last year, note the last line.  I get why people want to point the finger at Matt but coaching is absolutely critical at this level and this 2020 season exposed why.

4. Matt Ryan (Atlanta Falcons)

Matt Ryan

Matt Ryan is the great quarterback that time forgot.

He had rougher stretches of play in 2019, but he’s also continued to be a sensational deep passer. Getting coached by the likes of Dan Quinn and Dirk Koetter does nothing to help other than destroy chances of a proper tank amidst a quest of mediocrity, which is a shame because a QB as good as Ryan should not be this hung out to dry.

A nice 69.23 Accuracy Percentage to the left kept Ryan fourth in accuracy in that area. He had issues on throws of 41+ yards and into open windows, but was also the most accurate passer into tight windows with an Accuracy Percentage of 52.38%.

Ryan was also phenomenal against pressure, excelling against both interior and edge pressure. While never the most mobile quarterback, Ryan has enough athleticism in his legs and incredible pocket play to offset danger for the most part. Don’t let the touchdown-interception ratio fool you; Ryan was yet again a fantastic deep passer in 2019.

Now if we could get him an actual coach while he’s still a quality quarterback the Falcons would be way more fun to watch…

3 minutes ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

Well here is clean pocket sample but I mostly agree.

Yeah, it didn't seem like he had one often but I'd love to see these plays broken down to see what was happening on the back end.  Matt with time can pick apart any defense, so this leads me to believe there were receivers in the same zone, or bumping into eachother, or running low percentage routes thanks to Dirk.  All of which we saw this year.  So glad he is gone.

1 minute ago, athell said:

Yeah, it didn't seem like he had one often but I'd love to see these plays broken down to see what was happening on the back end.  Matt with time can pick apart any defense, so this leads me to believe there were receivers in the same zone, or bumping into eachother, or running low percentage routes thanks to Dirk.  All of which we saw this year.  So glad he is gone.

Nothing gets me more excited for next season than knowing that Dirk wont be here.

Ryan had great passing stats in some  categories but most of his passes are pretty short and almost every play is a pass play. This is just parsed for long balls. Ryan really hasn’t been a long ball guy this year by any account. It’s not because Jones was out. Rid is fast and can get a long lane.  That’s not really Ryan’s game.  
FYI that’s exactly why I’m ale whining about tight ends.  Middle distance is his best play. 

36 minutes ago, gazoo said:

No running game with predictable play calling, 5 step drops and probably #1 in NFL in total drop back pressures will have an impact your deep ball accuracy. 

His pressure % on dropbacks was 12th. His time In pocket before pressure was 2.6 seconds which was 2nd only to Mayfield at 2.7%.

Ryan overall had good protection in the pass game. The problem was many of the things you listed. Bad Play calling, Bad Route concepts, 5 Step drops with no underneath/YAC options, Bad Run blocking/Run Game, Falling behind in games and teams knowing we were going to pass, List goes on and on.

17 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

No run game is a big one. 6 or 7 defenders can play coverage every single down. Even if julio was playing it would be easy to double him every down with zero threat of a running game. Koetter is just awful

We ran far more this year than in seasons past where Ryan finished top 5.  It was just an off year for Ryan and the offense.  We were Koetter’d.  That’s all the excuse needed.  Two years after he leaves TB they win a SB.  Hopefully we have similar success

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

We ran far more this year than in seasons past where Ryan finished top 5.  It was just an off year for Ryan and the offense.  We were Koetter’d.  That’s all the excuse needed.  Two years after he leaves TB they win a SB.  Hopefully we have similar success

Doesn't matter if we ran it more if all we are doing is running it up the middle for 1 yard....then unlike 2019 no julio and also at the top in drops where in 2019 we were near the bottom

13 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Doesn't matter if we ran it more if all we are doing is running it up the middle for 1 yard....then unlike 2019 no julio and also at the top in drops where in 2019 we were near the bottom

We were just as poor running the football in years where Ryan finished top 5 in this metric.  Ryan and the offense were off.  Simple as that