Falcons GM Terry Fontenot: 'You always bring in quarterbacks' whether in draft or free agency

Matt Ryan is expected to be the Atlanta Falcons' quarterback for at least 2021, but his presence shouldn't stop the club from considering adding a potential replacement for down the line.

Sitting with the No. 4 overall pick, the Falcons are in a position to snag a future signal-caller in the 2021 NFL Draft, allowing that player to learn for a year under Ryan, then take over in 2022, a.k.a. the Patrick Mahomes method.

Ryan's exorbitant salary -- $40-plus-million cap figure this year -- makes him a certainty to remain on the club at least until next year when his dead-money figure would shrink to a more manageable range.

New Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot recently joined the Huddle & Flow podcast with NFL Network's Jim Trotter and Steve Wyche. While Fontenot didn't explicitly suggest how the Falcons would buffer the QB room, his comments suggest he's open to using that top draft pick on a signal-caller if it's the right fit.

"Whether we're talking about free agency or whether we're talking about the draft, we are going to add to every position," Fontenot said. "We'll build strength. We're not afraid to build strength. We're going to add to every position. It's about adding. We want a culture of competition, and (coach) Arthur Smith has said it: We want to bring in smart, tough, highly competitive football players that are going to fit this culture. And we're going to do that at every position, whether it's QB or whether it's WR.

"You look at (former Packers GM) Ron Wolf. You always bring in quarterbacks. You need to bring in quarterbacks, whether it's in the draft, whether it's in free agency, or signing guys off the street. It's so important, bring in quarterbacks a lot, build strengths. (Former Ravens GM) Ozzie Newsome, bring in the best players available. These are men that have had all that success, and it's about having the right 53, but we have to add competition at every position. So we're not going to be afraid to add to strengths. But both (Ryan and Julio Jones) are really good and I'm excited to be here with those players."

With Ryan and Jones on the roster, the Falcons could be a contender for a one-year turnaround. If the defense flips the script and the stars stay healthy, Atlanta owns the talent to compete right away. The possibility of the Falcons being one of the teams that go from cellar to contender motivates the club to give it one more go with their two stars.

It's Fontenot's job, however, to think beyond one year. In an ideal world, the club would never again be in a position high enough in the draft to grab a franchise QB. It makes the No. 4 overall pick an interesting choice for the first-time GM. Does he add a potential playmaker who could immediately boost the product or a QB who might not see the field in 2021?

Echoing Falcons owner Arthur Blank, Fontenot noted that no player is untouchable, including Ryan or Jones, and underscored that adding competition to every position will be essential for a quick Falcons turnaround.

"I don't think you'd ever be in a situation where you'd say anybody is untouchable," the 40-year-old said. "That's not the right culture. If you're building a culture, like I said, of competition, then that doesn't make sense to say this person can't be touched."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's common knowledge

People always bring up the Chiefs and Mahomes, but Andy Reid was starting his 4th season in KC when they drafted Mahomes.  He didn't walk in the door saying "we must draft a QB."  In fact, he sent dra

6 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Matt Ryan is expected to be the Atlanta Falcons' quarterback for at least 2021, but his presence shouldn't stop the club from considering adding a potential replacement for down the line.

Sitting with the No. 4 overall pick, the Falcons are in a position to snag a future signal-caller in the 2021 NFL Draft, allowing that player to learn for a year under Ryan, then take over in 2022, a.k.a. the Patrick Mahomes method.

Ryan's exorbitant salary -- $40-plus-million cap figure this year -- makes him a certainty to remain on the club at least until next year when his dead-money figure would shrink to a more manageable range.

New Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot recently joined the Huddle & Flow podcast with NFL Network's Jim Trotter and Steve Wyche. While Fontenot didn't explicitly suggest how the Falcons would buffer the QB room, his comments suggest he's open to using that top draft pick on a signal-caller if it's the right fit.

"Whether we're talking about free agency or whether we're talking about the draft, we are going to add to every position," Fontenot said. "We'll build strength. We're not afraid to build strength. We're going to add to every position. It's about adding. We want a culture of competition, and (coach) Arthur Smith has said it: We want to bring in smart, tough, highly competitive football players that are going to fit this culture. And we're going to do that at every position, whether it's QB or whether it's WR.

"You look at (former Packers GM) Ron Wolf. You always bring in quarterbacks. You need to bring in quarterbacks, whether it's in the draft, whether it's in free agency, or signing guys off the street. It's so important, bring in quarterbacks a lot, build strengths. (Former Ravens GM) Ozzie Newsome, bring in the best players available. These are men that have had all that success, and it's about having the right 53, but we have to add competition at every position. So we're not going to be afraid to add to strengths. But both (Ryan and Julio Jones) are really good and I'm excited to be here with those players."

With Ryan and Jones on the roster, the Falcons could be a contender for a one-year turnaround. If the defense flips the script and the stars stay healthy, Atlanta owns the talent to compete right away. The possibility of the Falcons being one of the teams that go from cellar to contender motivates the club to give it one more go with their two stars.

It's Fontenot's job, however, to think beyond one year. In an ideal world, the club would never again be in a position high enough in the draft to grab a franchise QB. It makes the No. 4 overall pick an interesting choice for the first-time GM. Does he add a potential playmaker who could immediately boost the product or a QB who might not see the field in 2021?

Echoing Falcons owner Arthur Blank, Fontenot noted that no player is untouchable, including Ryan or Jones, and underscored that adding competition to every position will be essential for a quick Falcons turnaround.

"I don't think you'd ever be in a situation where you'd say anybody is untouchable," the 40-year-old said. "That's not the right culture. If you're building a culture, like I said, of competition, then that doesn't make sense to say this person can't be touched."

Common sense

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Yeah...I read that and thought "water is wet"

You are always going to add QB's but you are not always going to burn a first on them.

I'm almost willing to bet that will add Trubisky.

Tribusky is going to cost more than people think....I don't think we can afford that.

6 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Tribusky is going to cost more than people think....I don't think we can afford that.

Maybe.....maybe not.

People said the same thing about Winston last year.

I don't think anyone is going to be jumping at offering trubisky a big deal and a chance to start anytime soon.....but I could be wrong.

I guess it's going to depend on how the coaches that we got from Chicago got along with him and their relationship.

16 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Maybe.....maybe not.

People said the same thing about Winston last year.

I don't think anyone is going to be jumping at offering trubisky a big deal and a chance to start anytime soon.....but I could be wrong.

I guess it's going to depend on how the coaches that we got from Chicago got along with him and their relationship.

The qb carousal this year is insane tho. Nothing like last year. Multiple teams don't even have a qb under contract.

interviews and comments by GMs from January-Eve of Draft mean nothing.

having said that, Falcons will be monitoring and evaluating every top QB in this draft and guys down the draft as well.   I fully expect the Falcons to take a QB somewhere in this draft - and, if they take one low - could take another next year.

It may be common sense to most, but I love me some TF & it's nice to see him articulate some basic common sense.

It also sends a signal to other franchises that the Atlanta Falcons could do just about anything & are open to any scenario moving forward.

This alone keeps all the doors & options active & open for deals/moves that can benefit us come draft day or even before & after...

1 minute ago, TheHeartless said:

Why on earth would we want to waste money on Trubisky of all QBs

Because he is still young (26 I think). He is inconsistent as a passer but is a very good athlete, he has starting experience including playoff experience and we hired 2 offensive coaches from the staff that just coached him last year.... including the guy who was in charge of the passing game.

Plus we would have far more to work with here.

So depending on his relationship with Ragone then I absolutely could see him coming on a short one or 2 year deal and potentially building his value back up.

Smith has first hand experience with that with Tannahill.

I think ppl are reading what they want into these comments.. Ofcourse we have to bring in a QB..... Matt and Benkert are our only QBs,,,,,, We have to add a QB but ppl assume its at the 4th pick.... 

We can draft a prospect coach like that is a true developmental guy in the 2nd-4th round that can truly sit and  not drain your cap for 2-3 years ...

Or sign a developmental FA like the titans did with their QB

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

And for the record....I would not be jumping for joy if we added him......I am just pointing out all of the dots that connect us to him.

Trubisky would be unnecessary waste of capital that I see no common sense connection to whatsoever.  The only way we'd consider him is if we were interested in him leading our team in the future & that is not the case. 

Just sayin bro.

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Because he is still young (26 I think). He is inconsistent as a passer but is a very good athlete, he has starting experience including playoff experience and we hired 2 offensive coaches from the staff that just coached him last year.... including the guy who was in charge of the passing game.

Plus we would have far more to work with here.

So depending on his relationship with Ragone then I absolutely could see him coming on a short one or 2 year deal and potentially building his value back up.

Smith has first hand experience with that with Tannahill.

Didn't really find Bears passing game to be all that grand this season or any season as of late, I mean bears have never been a franchise known for a thrilling pass game I guess so I'll cut them some slack. While I do believe Nagy is a terrible coach, I'd rather the team just pick up a rookie from the draft than giving Trubisky the money he'd probably ask for. If Smith is a QB whisperer or revivor he should be able to instill those talents/abilities into a rookie as well I'd imagine. 

2 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Trubisky would be unnecessary waste of capital that I see no common sense connection to whatsoever.  The only way we'd consider him is if we were interested in him leading our team in the future & that is not the case. 

Just sayin bro.

Any time you  bring in coaches from another team and there are FA's at positions big need from that team then there is a common sense connection.

Like I said......it would not shock me if he is our back up qb.

The guy I want from Chicago is Cordarrelle Patterson