Is Matt Ryan still Matty Ice?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Ryan's issues since his 2016 MVP season are due to: Two start up OCs Shaky Olines No run game Defense giving up big early leads There may be a physical decline

But when the rest of the team plays horribly and the coaching is horrible he can’t get to the playoffs by himself. He’s doing pretty darn incredible with what he has to work with.    The guy ha

How many times have you seen Ryan take the lead with less than a minute remaining only to see the other team come back to win. May be he should have recovered the onside kick against Dallas or May be

Matt definitely hasn't played his best football for the past few years and I think that has come from a slight decline he's still good enough to win us a Super Bowl with the right support.  Arthur Blank thinks so too because they went out and got him new coaches and a GM to see if a different group can attain NFL glory with MR2

1 hour ago, campdirtybirdz said:

I'm not a Ryan hater, but I see decline. Matt has been really un-clutch the past couple seasons. I am talking about the second half of games for the past couple years. Is it all on coaching as some would say on these boards, or is it decline? 

I think it would help Matt Ryan if he had a defense and an offensive coordinator that he trusted.

How many times have you seen Ryan take the lead with less than a minute remaining only to see the other team come back to win. May be he should have recovered the onside kick against Dallas or May be he should have tackled Todd Gurley from scoring the TD against DET. Remember the Bears game? **** Falcons have played some ugly games last 2-3 seasons under DQ. The missed FG against the chiefs to tie the game late in 4th quarter. Or missing the extra point against Cardinals to tie the game late in fourth Qtr. This team has lost so many close games with other team winning in final seconds. 

1 hour ago, Red Bandana said:

All those random tweets with stats mean nothing if we’re not competing for playoff wins 🤷‍♀️

But when the rest of the team plays horribly and the coaching is horrible he can’t get to the playoffs by himself. He’s doing pretty darn incredible with what he has to work with. 

The guy has only missed a handful of games in 13 years despite getting beat to **** and is among the all time leaders in several seasonal and career records. All this behind crappy offensive lines and numerous OC changes, and two of them were Koetter. The guy is the Falcons’ GOAT, he’s going to the HOF and people continue to crap all over him. There’s a part of me that wants him to go somewhere that he can win a title just to root for him. He’s a good dude and is always gracious and classy. Don’t know what more people expect from the guy. 

7 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

It's a mixture of bad coaching and the undefeated father time.  Ryan is still clutch though. 

The losses this year where Matt did what he had to do and had nothing to do with the loss. 

Dallas (Def and ST) Chicago (def), Detroit (def and bad coaching) KC (def and ST) first TB game (def)

It would have made 4-12 into 9-7

6 hours ago, falcons007 said:

How many times have you seen Ryan take the lead with less than a minute remaining only to see the other team come back to win. May be he should have recovered the onside kick against Dallas or May be he should have tackled Todd Gurley from scoring the TD against DET. Remember the Bears game? **** Falcons have played some ugly games last 2-3 seasons under DQ. The missed FG against the chiefs to tie the game late in 4th quarter. Or missing the extra point against Cardinals to tie the game late in fourth Qtr. This team has lost so many close games with other team winning in final seconds. 

Heck, you can go back to 2016 with the KC loss where we were two scores behind and he drove us to a go-ahead score at 28-27 and we tried for two and returned for 2 points and their win 29-28. (IYes, I realize he threw the pick on that conversion but I still hate that 2 point return rule. How can you reward a team for being scored on? Just ridiculous )

Edited by 44 Aaron RF
1 hour ago, 44 Aaron RF said:

Heck, you can go back to 2016 with the KC loss where we were two scores behind and he drove us to a go-ahead score at 28-27 and we tried for two and returned for 2 points and their win 29-28. (IYes, I realize he threw the pick on that conversion but I still hate that 2 point return rule. How can you reward a team for being scored on? Just ridiculous )

I can't hate the rule because if you're able to score two, they should be able to counter. Now if it was on the PAT, I can understand your logic.

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

One of the things about come back victories is timing.  Sometimes, the defense has to make an actual stop to close out the game.  Our defense has specialized in the inate ability to not do this, at all, for several years now.  

This is totally not true. There has been plenty of game where the Defense made the stop, and the offense was not able to do anything.

1 minute ago, Faithful Falcon said:

This is totally not true. There has been plenty of game where the Defense made the stop, and the offense was not able to do anything.

Perhaps, but at least twice this year alone, game winning drives were successful, only to watch the other team March down and win with bare minutes on the clock.  One man cannot do it alone.  Matt gets it done more often than not. 

9 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I think Ryan's issues since his 2016 MVP season are due to:

• Two start up OCs
  • Shaky Olines
  • No run game
  • Defense giving up big early leads

There may be a physical decline but it's slight.

I’ve been rewatching all the games from 2020.  IMHO Matt still has zip on the ball and is surprisingly mobile in the pocket. The problem was receivers could not get open and hybrid line could not hold up for as long as they were being asked.  Like you said terrible OCs.