• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd ride Ryan and Julio out til the end of their lifetime contracts, unless some team loses their mind and offers a deal we can't refuse. That's what Dimi set up. There will be college boys coming out

I would be extremely surprised if we take a QB at 4. I'm not with taking a QB at 4 and having him sit for potentially 2 years. He definitely won't start year 1 and he may not even start year 2. I mean

Sit 2 years making 6 mil in 2021 ... then around 7.5 mil in 2022..... To sit andddddd to go along with what Matt cap hit will be

11 hours ago, Em_Jae20 said:

If Zach Wilson is there I don't pass on him.  I think his talent at the most important and key position on the football field is too much to pass on even if he has to sit a year or 2.  If we make a playoff run next year with MR2 and we want to give Zach a shot trade MR2 and see what you can get for.  The market is trending toward offensive players and in a post playoff scenario MR2 will garner interest

I would touch Zach Wilson with a 10' pole! His injury history worries me Big Time.

32 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Not really. They don't  approach the draft like fans. Fans like some players and want the Roster to bend for accommodating their fav shiny new prospect. TF and AS will approach on what's best for Roster goals and who fits or doesn't fit. The teams draft board is likely much different than media or fan YouTube draft boards.

It will still be a touch decision. A LOT of work will go into preparation for this pick, and even with that, it will be a difficult decision. These guys' jobs depend on making the right choices, and if they make the wrong choice, it will affect their, and the team's future. It's not going to be easy.

6 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

It will still be a touch decision. A LOT of work will go into preparation for this pick, and even with that, it will be a difficult decision. These guys' jobs depend on making the right choices, and if they make the wrong choice, it will affect their, and the team's future. It's not going to be easy.

well said.

As to the QB decision.  It's a huge decision.   While drafting a QB at #4 isn't an immediate payoff - basically no payoff for 2021 on the field - the position is so important and if you truly believe you are drafting a franchise player - at the most important position in all of team professional sports - you strongly consider it.

I believe someone quoted Fontenot to the affect that he balances the short w/ the long term and the long term and would never make a short term decision w/ a long-term ramification.   I don't want to go down the rabbit hole but something to that affect.

Quarterback - it's a position above all others by a country mile.   As a GM, you don't take one just to take one.   You don't take one "just cause" - you better be a TRUE BELIEVER in the guy you take with a Top 4 pick.

Frankly I like that the Falcons truly have a quarterback now that is good although aging and maybe a slight decline.

Terry Fontenot doesn't have to take a QB in this draft - at some point he probably should at least take a later round one but he doesn't have to take a QB at all and he certainly doesn't have to take one at #4.

However, if Fontenot is a true believer - whether it be Zach Wilson, Justin Fields or Trey Lance - if he LOVES the long-term and projects any of those three as ELITE potential to be a Top 5 QB in the league for 10+ years - then, if that is the case, then that particular QB is the only choice.    I like the fact that if Fontenot goes QB there - it was done w/ the flexibility that he didn't have to do it.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

well said.

As to the QB decision.  It's a huge decision.   While drafting a QB at #4 isn't an immediate payoff - basically no payoff for 2021 on the field - the position is so important and if you truly believe you are drafting a franchise player - at the most important position in all of team professional sports - you strongly consider it.

I believe someone quoted Fontenot to the affect that he balances the short w/ the long term and the long term and would never make a short term decision w/ a long-term ramification.   I don't want to go down the rabbit hole but something to that affect.

Quarterback - it's a position above all others by a country mile.   As a GM, you don't take one just to take one.   You don't take one "just cause" - you better be a TRUE BELIEVER in the guy you take with a Top 4 pick.

Frankly I like that the Falcons truly have a quarterback now that is good although aging and maybe a slight decline.

Terry Fontenot doesn't have to take a QB in this draft - at some point he probably should at least take a later round one but he doesn't have to take a QB at all and he certainly doesn't have to take one at #4.

However, if Fontenot is a true believer - whether it be Zach Wilson, Justin Fields or Trey Lance - if he LOVES the long-term and projects any of those three as ELITE potential to be a Top 5 QB in the league for 10+ years - then, if that is the case, then that particular QB is the only choice.    I like the fact that if Fontenot goes QB there - it was done w/ the flexibility that he didn't have to do it.

Agreed.  Knowing is half the battle.  I would HATE to have to make this choice.  You have got to nail #4, whatever you choose.

23 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Those guys are paid to make those decisions. It isn’t like TF and AS have to do something no GM or HC has done in NFL. They have plenty of options to make it work and not lose their jobs in 2-3 years.

11 hours ago, ATLskinjob said:

I'm very much in the "keep Matty Ice" camp, but man I would hate to be in our front office's shoes. Who would want to be the GM that passed on a potentially great QB? Glad that decision is not mine to make.

That’s the thing about being a leader.  You assess all of your options while taking into account what might be the best outcome for your team’s future. You pray for wisdom & make the move without regard to what others might think.  Never making decisions based upon fear.  It doesn’t matter what others might say.  At the end of the day you must live with yourself knowing you did your best & arrived at your decision with good intentions & a pure heart.

Having said that, a decision might involve having to choose between two options at a particular position that you have studied.  For example, Fields & Wilson staring at you at 4.  Maybe it boils down to interviewing them personally. Let’s say your heart spoke to you during the interview & you felt that ZW seemed arrogant & less willing to take instruction & JF humbled himself with a desire to be coached through his flaws... That could be the determining factor in your spirit that propelled your final decision.  

16 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Those guys are paid to make those decisions. It isn’t like TF and AS have to do something no GM or HC has done in NFL. They have plenty of options to make it work and not lose their jobs in 2-3 years.

That's not the point. You said that "they are not fans", when you said the call wouldn't be tough. It absolutely is a TOUGH CALL.

Just now, Boise Falcon Fan said:

That's not the point. You said that "they are not fans", when you said the call wouldn't be tough. It absolutely is a TOUGH CALL.

Yeah. They are not fans. Are they? Lol. If TF and AS are peeing pants about this, they aren’t as good as they were advertised. They have many options, not like they are in impossible situation. 

6 hours ago, Red Bandana said:

Take the qb at 4 and have him sit a year. Chances are we’re picking top 10 again next year. Draft the top running back next year then Arthur smith can finally run his offense 

If that’s the case why not take Sewell or Surtain at 4 and a RB in the 2nd this year?  I’d trade down if at all possible and load up on picks that we’re gonna need to get out of cap trouble over the next 2-3 seasons.  

58 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Agreed.  Knowing is half the battle.  I would HATE to have to make this choice.  You have got to nail #4, whatever you choose.

...and for those "anti-QB",  the longer Fontenot waits, the more likely he would feel compelled to make a QB move.   Just want Fontenot to make the right QB move - whether it is made in 2021, 2022 or 2023 is irrelevant if you get the right guy.

56 minutes ago, Williamb said:

And then in year 3, that same qb (who never took a starting snap) will be negotiating a long term deal. ( more logic I think).

People can’t seem to grasp this part of it.  You don’t take a QB at four if Ryan is the plan for QB the next two years.  If you don’t like Ryan for one reason or another, that’s fine, but the finances and logic don’t match up.

56 minutes ago, Sipifalcon said:

Whomever the pick is they will need to be a consistent probowl/all-pro kind of player.  We CAN NOT miss on this #4 pick. Heck we can't miss on the 1st 3 picks imo all of them needs to be solid at least 2 out the 1st 3 picks needs to shine.

Or trade back and say three of the five need to shine and you are still ahead of where you were.

39 minutes ago, Rings said:

It’s only bloated because TD kicked the can down the road over and over, his actual contract is more than reasonable.

So the reality is his cap hit is a problem for what we offer. TD kicked the can down the road to try to build around Ryan. I guess the smart thing to do would be to make the same mistake.

2 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

That’s the thing about being a leader.  You assess all of your options while taking into account what might be the best outcome for your team’s future. You pray for wisdom & make the move without regard to what others might think.  Never making decisions based upon fear.  It doesn’t matter what others might say.  At the end of the day you must live with yourself knowing you did your best & arrived at your decision with good intentions & a pure heart.

There you go again HB3. I love your aggressive approach to living in a competitive world my friend.

2 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

There you go again HB3. I love your aggressive approach to living in a competitive world my friend.

Thanks bud, but that doesn't mean you do it all by yourself either.  Clearly you consult with folks who are smarter than yourself as well.  But ultimately the decision is yours.  :)

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

12 hours ago, Rings said:

And since tanking isn’t real in the NFL, we won’t take a QB.  Thank god.

I hope you're right. People think we can just scrap what we have and the next couple of years. This is the NFL, you don't build over time, you build to win a superbowl every year.  If you aren't trying to win a SB, you're tanking. You don't just go into a season without an attempt to win it all.

6 hours ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

A top 5 pick warrants taking a "can't miss" quarterback or defensive end since these  two positions have the most influence on the outcome of games. Unfortunately, there isn't a DE that warrants this high a draft pick so that leaves QB as the logical choice. 

A generational talent in any other position could warrant a top 5 pick also but there don't seem to be many any of these either; especially in positions we need.

The hit rate for QBs in the first is higher than any other round, and higher than all other rounds combined. 

Last 20 years

Top 15 is 50%

1st round is 35%

2nd round is less than 10%

3rd and below 1.5%

That’s based on finding a player who can actually run your franchise for a 10 year window. 

If ever you want a higher chance of taking a QB you want to be where we are now. We can move around inside the 15 and get some extra assets but you might get beaten to the punch if you want a QB still. After that your odds drop 1/3, still respectable, but less than 10% refutes this notion that it’s easy to get a QB outside the first. Those guys are outliers for the most part. 

It’s not easy to get a QB outside the first, I agree with you on that.  But the idea you have to take one top five is also false (not yours but a lot of fans).  I agree when the time comes, you go get your guy.  I just don’t think that time is now with our salary cap where it is and the large contracts that are still on the books for the next few years.  That’s why I’d rather trade down for someone who needs a QB and willing pay highly for that pick.  Then use those picks to make one final run before Ryan and Julio move on.