2021 Braves Spring Training

Unknøwn

45 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Nick Markakis has announced his retirement. Kakes said he knew after the NLCS that he would never play again. Just waited to announce his decision. Kakes had 2,971 ABs as a Brave. He hit .283/.357/.402. Kakes was a doubling fool and finished with more doubles than Babe Ruth. In his Braves career alone he posted 198 doubles. **** of a career for Nick and a very under appreciated Brave. 

Here’s to hoping he remains a Brave in some capacity 

“I just think it’s my time,” Markakis said. “My No. 1 decision and my main focus on this is obviously my kids and my family. I’ve been fortunate enough to do this for a very long time and not many people get to do what I’ve gone through. I’m thankful for every second and every minute.”

Known as an intense competitor and consummate professional who stressed throughout his career that he played the game cleanly, Markakis never drew attention to himself, preferring the lowest of big-league profiles. He never participated in social media and, through much of his career, didn’t have a working email account. There was never going to be a big retirement announcement from Markakis.

“Nick just thought he could slip away into retirement without anyone noticing,” said his longtime agent, Jamie Murphy. “He played his entire career under the radar, so he thought he could slip away under the radar, too.”

Markakis’ plans for retirement are equally as simple: Spending more time at his home in Alpharetta, Ga., with his wife, Christina, and their three boys: Taylor, 12; Tucker, 10; and Toby, 7.

“I’m gonna be a stay-at-home dad. My wife is actually back working. She’s enjoying herself, being a personal trainer. I’m just gonna take care of the house and take care of the boys,” he said. “I’ve missed so much over the years and sacrificed a lot. I think this is the least I can do for them. It’s an important age that these guys are at right now and I think I need to be there.”

That rule was implemented for spring training games because of less players in camp. But yet they also have a rule that allows a pitcher to be replaced but yet still come back in the game during spring training. 

Edited by brdu4

5 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Braves made their first round of cuts. Some notables

Michael Harris
Drew Waters
Trey Harris
William Woods
Victor Vodnik
Kyle Miller
De La Cruz
Sobotka
Weigel
Pfeifer
Ball
Shewmake
Demeritte

Disappointed to see Ball on that list but with Sandoval apparently having a good spring it makes sense I guess.

1 hour ago, brdu4 said:

Wondering if Snitker will have the SP batting instead of the DH this spring at some point. Just to let them work on bunting fundamentals 

All NL teams use the DH for the first several weeks of spring training. It's not until the final 2 weeks or so of spring that the pitchers start "hitting." That's the way it's always been done.