2021 Braves Spring Training

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its finally here! Camp opens Thursday when pitchers and catchers report.

Snitker said Soroka was able to participate in drills today. He fielded comebacks, bunted and of course threw a side session. Fielding and running are his only remaining hurdles.

Nick Markakis has announced his retirement. Kakes said he knew after the NLCS that he would never play again. Just waited to announce his decision. Kakes had 2,971 ABs as a Brave. He hit .283/.357/.40

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I don't think this has anything to do with Pache as much as trying to make sure we have a good bench.

I have a hard time thinking that he will be ok with a bench role.

I could be way off but he does not strike me as that type.

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

I have a hard time thinking that he will be ok with a bench role.

I could be way off but he does not strike me as that type.

No one is gonna sign Cespedes with the guarantee of playing everyday given his injury history of the last few years and his off-field issues. He's also 35 years old. Cespedes hasn't started 150 games in a season since 2015. He's only played 127 games total the last 4 years. He either accepts a bench role or he doesn't accept any role.

1 minute ago, AUTiger7222 said:

No one is gonna sign Cespedes with the guarantee of playing everyday given his injury history of the last few years and his off-field issues. He's also 35 years old. Cespedes hasn't started 150 games in a season since 2015. He's only played 127 games total the last 4 years. He either accepts a bench role or he doesn't accept any role.

Well then....when you put it that way.

21 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Freeman told the media he'll hit 2nd if thats where Snit wants him but he thinks it doesn't make sense. Pretty much said he prefers 3rd with no DH in the most professional way he could.

I believe he also said the only other way it would makes sense for him to hit 2nd without their being a DH is that if the pitcher bats 8th and say Pache bats 9th. 

1 hour ago, brdu4 said:

I believe he also said the only other way it would makes sense for him to hit 2nd without their being a DH is that if the pitcher bats 8th and say Pache bats 9th. 

Yeah, we already know Snitker isn't comfortable with the pitcher at 8. He admitted that after he tried it briefly in 2019. 

42 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

It's not Freeman's job to know, but he clearly doesn't understand lineup optimization with those comments. 

Snitker pretty much said the same thing before Spring started. Wouldn't commit to anything but pretty much said without the DH he'll probably put Free back at 3.

Snitker said Soroka is participating in some running drills. They are being cautious with it though. He may make a start during Spring according to Snit. Ynoa is currently being stretched out as if he'll be in the rotation. Itll be a 3 way battle between Wilson, Wright and Ynoa to fill Soroka's spot if he's not ready. 

27 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Snitker pretty much said the same thing before Spring started. Wouldn't commit to anything but pretty much said without the DH he'll probably put Free back at 3.

Which just makes me bang my head against a wall. Let's take our best hitter and cut the number of plate appearances he'll have this season by 20-40 just for the hope of making 5 more RBI's. Makes absolutely no sense.

51 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Which just makes me bang my head against a wall. Let's take our best hitter and cut the number of plate appearances he'll have this season by 20-40 just for the hope of making 5 more RBI's. Makes absolutely no sense.

Freeman mentioned he would get more ABs at #2 but said he prefers the RBI opportunities he would get at 3. I'm guessing they reviewed the data behind it which led to his comments on it.

Just now, Unknøwn said:

Freeman mentioned he would get more ABs at #2 but said he prefers the RBI opportunities he would get at 3. I'm guessing they reviewed the data behind it which led to his comments on it.

The data shows the number of RBI chances between hitting 2nd and 3rd is extremely minimum. There's a reason teams started putting their best hitter in the 2 hole. The first team I saw do that was the Twins with Joe Mauer. But the Blue Jays did it with Josh Donaldson. The Cubs did it with Kris Bryant when Joe Maddon was still there. Mike Trout hits 2nd for the Angels. The Brewers do it with Christian Yelich. I don't think having the DH or not having the DH should matter that much.

Best hitter hitting 3rd is old school thinking. Best hitter hitting 2nd is new school thinking.

One article explaining why you should hit your best hitter 2nd.

https://www.lrsitsolutions.com/Blog/Posts/67/Uncategorized/2019/5/How-Analytics-changed-the-role-of-the-2-hitter/blog-post/

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

You know I value your opinion when it comes to the Braves,  but we're forgetting one thing...

Acuna is in scoring position when the game starts,  so in a way,  Freeman is hitting second after Ozzie/Dansby.

1 hour ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

You know I value your opinion when it comes to the Braves,  but we're forgetting one thing...

Acuna is in scoring position when the game starts,  so in a way,  Freeman is hitting second after Ozzie/Dansby.

I get that. My main driving point is I want my best hitters to get the most AB's. The Braves two best hitters are Acuna and Freeman. They should be hitting 1st and 2nd. The whole, Freeman needs to hit 3rd so he gets more RBI opportunities is severely outdated thinking as the article I linked to points out. A team's run probability increases when the best hitter hits 2nd.

Here's something interesting. Check this out. Let me know if it doesn't post right.

https://www.baseballmusings.com/cgi-bin/LineupAnalysis.py?Player0=d'Arnaud&OBA0=386.000&Slug0=533.000&Player1=Freeman&OBA1=462.000&Slug1=640.000&Player2=Albies&OBA2=306&Slug2=466&Player3=Riley&OBA3=301&Slug3=415&Player4=Swanson&OBA4=345&Slug4=464&Player5=Ozuna&OBA5=431&Slug5=636&Player6=Acuna&OBA6=406&Slug6=581&Player7=Markakis&OBA7=312&Slug7=392&Player8=Duvall&OBA8=301&Slug8=532&Model=0

On 3/5/2021 at 7:45 PM, jidady said:

We're apparently at least semi-serious about Yoenis Cespedes.

I thought Cespedes made sense if there was a DH and we didn't sign Ozuna. Since there isn't a DH and we did sign Ozuna, I don't see a spot, but it's good to check in because circumstances can change quickly. 

Curious to see if Cora will do the same as he did last weekend and end the inning after 20 pitches. 17 pitches so far in the 1st for Richards. Remember he was the pitcher on the mound when Cora ended the inning.