Jump to content

2021 Braves Spring Training


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its finally here! Camp opens Thursday when pitchers and catchers report.

Snitker said Soroka was able to participate in drills today. He fielded comebacks, bunted and of course threw a side session. Fielding and running are his only remaining hurdles.

I don't care if it's only spring training, I'm happy to see baseball on TV again...

If anyone is wondering DOB explained Chippers role. He'll be in uniform for BP and available to all players prior to every game. When the game starts he can't be out there because of MLB rules limiting coaches. He'll be watching the games from home on TV and be able to bring what he's sees into work the next day. Hes not expected to travel with the club but is available to be brought in if needed. He felt the time was right and he had a long enough break to be able to jump back in. He actually initiated the contact with Anthopolous. Chipper didn't like the broadcasting from home gig on ESPN and then when Boog left he called Anthopolous and told him he wanted a job as a part time coach. 

Eric Young is also back as 1B coach after opting out of 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken Rosenthal did confirm the Braves had talks with Trevor Rosenthal before he went elsewhere. Could clear the way for Greene's return. Ken also added that according to his sources, the Braves are down to $5M or less in the budget for 2021. If that's true Liberty really put the clamps on after the lost revenue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting bit from the Rosenthal piece:

"Even though Ozuna’s deal is back-loaded, the Braves are down to less than $5 million of payroll flexibility in ’21, according to a source with knowledge of the team’s thinking."

It's rare to get a precise budget number. Interesting, and makes me think Greene isn't coming unless they clear payroll some other way. 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Yet the Braves are worth more than a lot of teams and Liberty has already made a large profit.

Hope fans don't show up after they realize all Liberty is trying to do is once again build a NLDS team that gets beat because of lack of depth.

This is why you can't really blame Anthopolous. He only has what Liberty gives him. This year they significantly cut payroll and he was fortunate enough to get a couple of arms and Ozuna in. Looks like patchwork is all we have the money for now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

This is why you can't really blame Anthopolous. He only has what Liberty gives him. This year they significantly cut payroll and he was fortunate enough to get a couple of arms and Ozuna in. Looks like patchwork is all we have the money for now. 

Yeah I know but I still believe his unwillingness to trade prospects is on him. That's something he could do and seems afraid of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Yeah I know but I still believe his unwillingness to trade prospects is on him. That's something he could do and seems afraid of.

Money still a factor there. Will likely come into play in July. The better the prospect the more money you can get to cover a contract. If Ken's reporting is accurate we won't be able to take on much in a trade without that. You could send Ender back to free up some space but thats not even that much if its a July trade. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Money still a factor there. Will likely come into play in July. The better the prospect the more money you can get to cover a contract. If Ken's reporting is accurate we won't be able to take on much in a trade without that. You could send Ender back to free up some space but thats not even that much if its a July trade. 

Right. Look at the Yankees. They wanted to get out from under Adam Ottavino's bad contract and had to include a pretty good prospect to get the Red Sox to take him. It's just like how the Braves had to give up Kimbrel to get the Padres to take Upton's bad contract. The only way the Braves can get rid of Ender is to give up a pretty good prospect to get a team to take him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Money still a factor there. Will likely come into play in July. The better the prospect the more money you can get to cover a contract. If Ken's reporting is accurate we won't be able to take on much in a trade without that. You could send Ender back to free up some space but thats not even that much if its a July trade. 

So do it then, guys have devalued under his watch. I'm not talking about sending prospects to pay for Ender, I'm talking about adding talent.

Team is so broke but he thought it a wise use of money to give Drew Smyly 11 mil?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Malachore said:

So do it then, guys have devalued under his watch. I'm not talking about sending prospects to pay for Ender, I'm talking about adding talent.

Team is so broke but he thought it a wise use of money to give Drew Smyly 11 mil?

I'm guessing the analytics showed Smyly would benefit from a good defense and last years performance was legit. Solid numbers last year but as always, can he stay healthy? I'm guessing Anthopolous thought the potential upside warranted the risk. Who knows? Could turn into Hamels 2.0.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I strongly suspect the budget got cut after we signed Smyly. 
 

Our payroll is down $40 million. I was the one last year saying to watch out for this, and even I am surprised by the depth of the cuts. 
 

A World Series win would add a significant amount to the franchise’s value. So, this is extremely short-sighted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jidady said:

I strongly suspect the budget got cut after we signed Smyly. 
 

Our payroll is down $40 million. I was the one last year saying to watch out for this, and even I am surprised by the depth of the cuts. 
 

A World Series win would add a significant amount to the franchise’s value. So, this is extremely short-sighted.

Your assuming Liberty Media actually cares about something like that. All they care about is the balance sheet and that the Braves are a giant tax write off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ransack said:

Your assuming Liberty Media actually cares about something like that. All they care about is the balance sheet and that the Braves are a giant tax write off.

The value of the franchise impacts the balance sheet, though. That's the point. What they're doing is incredibly short-sighted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...