2021 Braves Spring Training

Unknøwn

35 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Snitker said they don't view Contreras as a backup and don't want to hinder his development. He'll get a chance to get regular ABs at the alternative camp and AAA. 

I agree with that. I just don't want TDA to get worn down too early in the season by playing nearly every day because A-Jax is completely useless at the plate.

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I agree with that. I just don't want TDA to get worn down too early in the season by playing nearly every day because A-Jax is completely useless at the plate.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if AA picked up a veteran catcher that gets cut somewhere else. Could look at someone like Lucroy who might be the odd man out in Chicago, had a good Spring. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if they rolled with Jackson for awhile. Give him a shot to prove he's ready to be the primary backup. If Jackson steps up into that backup role you'd be set there for a long time with Contreras coming next year. 

3 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if AA picked up a veteran catcher that gets cut somewhere else. Could look at someone like Lucroy who might be the odd man out in Chicago, had a good Spring. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if they rolled with Jackson for awhile. Give him a shot to prove he's ready to be the primary backup. If Jackson steps up into that backup role you'd be set there for a long time with Contreras coming next year. 

I don't think we'll see a return to the Lopez/McCann days of a catcher starting 130-140 games for the Braves anymore. I think the idea is you want two starting catchers and have them split the load the way the Braves have the last several years. That is where Shea Langeliers comes in. He was drafted 9th overall for a reason. I think him and Contreras as co-starters at catcher is the future with the Braves.

7 hours ago, Malachore said:

Man AA can't seriously be ok with this bench, can he?

Hes still looking at the market and watching to see who becomes roster casualties elsewhere. So it could change a little bit but not much. I expect the bench will be address through trades during the season.

Snitker has set the rotation as Fried, Morton, Anderson and Smyly. Bullpen, probably Ynoa, will take the first game instead of a #5. Soroka will then hopefully be ready for that next turn through but Wilson will be called up if not.

12 hours ago, Malachore said:

Man AA can't seriously be ok with this bench, can he?

or the bullpen. He got screwed by ownership, but we're pacing toward having money by the trade deadline. Until then, we're counting on offense and a wealth of quality starters. It's not your imagination, though.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

or the bullpen. He got screwed by ownership, but we're pacing toward having money by the trade deadline. Until then, we're counting on offense and a wealth of quality starters. It's not your imagination, though.

What makes you think this?

I'm still wondering where that money went that they offered Yates and Rosenthal.

Bullpen worries me too, still think Smyly ends up there if Wright and Wilson finally make that jump.

9 minutes ago, Malachore said:

What makes you think this?

I'm still wondering where that money went that they offered Yates and Rosenthal.

Bullpen worries me too, still think Smyly ends up there if Wright and Wilson finally make that jump.

Fans in the stadium means money at Bravesville. The pandemic curve should diminish as the season progresses and more people are vaccinated, allowing greater attendance.

14 minutes ago, jidady said:

Fans in the stadium means money at Bravesville. The pandemic curve should diminish as the season progresses and more people are vaccinated, allowing greater attendance.

Let's hope they use the money and don't keep it to offset last season's lost funds.

8 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Snitker has set the rotation as Fried, Morton, Anderson and Smyly. Bullpen, probably Ynoa, will take the first game instead of a #5. Soroka will then hopefully be ready for that next turn through but Wilson will be called up if not.

I thought Wilson won a spot in the rotation until Soroka returns 

5 hours ago, jidady said:

The bullpen is still really really good.

19 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I thought Wilson won a spot in the rotation until Soroka returns 

Wilson was sent to the alternate camp site. Braves announced that they're going with a bullpen game on April 7th. Soroka is expected to be ready by mid April when a 5th starter is needed a second time.

Just now, AUTiger7222 said:

Wilson was sent to the alternate camp site. Braves announced that they're going with a bullpen game on April 7th. Soroka is expected to be ready by mid April when a 5th starter is needed a second time.

Gotcha

Wilson did win the spot they just opted to carry another RP. He did win the job as first man up though. They've pretty much said theyll rotate some guys in and out to rest the regular rotation arms. They don't want to push them too hard after last years limited innings due to the short season. Plenty of innings out there for Wilson, Wright and Touki when he's healthy 

2 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Personally I think it's pretty cool that Nate Jones made the Braves team. For years on The Show I always traded for him because I loved pitching with him and he's really good. He looked healthy this year and it wouldn't surprise me to see him quickly take hold of the 7th or 8th.

That's how I felt about Trevor Rosenthal and was bummed when we didn't get him, especially since interest was shown.