2021 Braves Spring Training

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its finally here! Camp opens Thursday when pitchers and catchers report.

Snitker said Soroka was able to participate in drills today. He fielded comebacks, bunted and of course threw a side session. Fielding and running are his only remaining hurdles.

Nick Markakis has announced his retirement. Kakes said he knew after the NLCS that he would never play again. Just waited to announce his decision. Kakes had 2,971 ABs as a Brave. He hit .283/.357/.40

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Snitker also adding Soroka looks impressive. He isnt ready to cover 1B or run bases yet but just throwing hes had no setbacks. He said theyll give it a few weeks and see where he is but he wouldn't rule out he could be out there Opening Day.

I know that a 23-year-old won't listen when he's told to slow down. Still, I hope we give him an extra 4-6 weeks.

Snitker said hes comfortable with not as deep of a pen. He doesn't feel it necessary with starters being able to stretch out fully. He said Smith, Matzek, Minter and Martin could all close games. Hes basically taking a wait and see approach. He added that Freeman will likely drop to #3 with the SP at 9 but he said theyll mull it over and hammer out some lineups as a staff.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Snitker said hes comfortable with not as deep of a pen. He doesn't feel it necessary with starters being able to stretch out fully. He said Smith, Matzek, Minter and Martin could all close games. Hes basically taking a wait and see approach. He added that Freeman will likely drop to #3 with the SP at 9 but he said theyll mull it over and hammer out some lineups as a staff.

What do you think our optimal four should be?

Acuna, Free, Ozuna, Darnaud

Acuna, darnaud, freeman, ozuna

Acuna, Swanson, Free, Ozuna

Acuna. Albies, Free, Ozuna

Something else? I loved the first one last year but if Swanson stays on pace I like that one too.

54 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Something else? I loved the first one last year but if Swanson stays on pace I like that one too.

I like 1 or 4. 

1 hour ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

I like Acuna, Freeman, Ozuna, d'Arnaud but you need to move the SP to #8 and have Swanson or Pache hit 9. We know Snitker is uncomfortable with a pitcher at 8. So I think we'll see Acuna, Albies, Freeman, Ozuna. 

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

I like Acuna, Freeman, Ozuna, d'Arnaud but you need to move the SP to #8 and have Swanson or Pache hit 9. We know Snitker is uncomfortable with a pitcher at 8. So I think we'll see Acuna, Albies, Freeman, Ozuna. 

Why do you need to move the pitcher to 8th to hit Freddie 2nd?

30 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I like having that second leadoff guy. More runners in front of Freddie. I think I'd probably line it up with Pache 9, Acuna, Free, etc. 

I'm not even worried about that part of the deal cause according to what I saw once the number of RBI opportunies between the 2nd and 3rd spots was roughly the same. So because of that you should put your best hitter 2nd so he gets more plate appearances.

Snitker on CF.. 

“It’ll be great to get Pache back out there and watch him again,” Snitker said. “How he handled himself in October in that situation was really, really impressive. We’d all seen the talent that the kid had, it was just that he hadn’t played. Again, it amazes me how much bigger and stronger he is from the first time I saw him in camp. He’s another player it’s going to be exciting to get him out there and see what they can do.”

Position players are due on Tuesday, and Snitker expected Pache to report to camp more self-assured after his showing on the big postseason stage. He had competitive at-bats almost every time up despite going a modest 4-for-22 with three walks and four strikeouts against the dominant Dodgers pitching staff.

“We’re going to give him a lot of opportunity,” Snitker said. “The kid’s got to come to camp feeling really good about things and have a lot of confidence, off of the performance at the NLCS. This will be his third or fourth camp that he’s been in, so he knows what to expect, where he’s going to have a better idea, and probably a better idea about himself.

“Because I know until those guys get here and actually compete at this level, they don’t know what to expect. And I think he’s probably got a lot of confidence in his abilities and the fact that he can play here.”

Inciarte has started five consecutive Opening Days for the Braves but probably knows that streak could end this year. He was left off the postseason roster in favor of Pache, and Inciarte wasn’t even added after Duvall got hurt. The Braves instead added utilityman Johan Camargo.

If Inciarte doesn’t know the Opening Day center-field job is up for grabs this spring, he will soon.

“I’m sure we’ll talk to him, Snitker said. “I think it’s just, we’ll see how spring training goes. I love what Pache did, but it’s like you tell all those young guys, ‘You don’t have a baseball card yet.’ So you’ve got to come in and earn your way. So I think we’ll just see. I’m not going to say it’s a competition or anything like that. We’re going to have spring training and everbody’s going to get a chance to play a lot, and we’ll just see what happens.”

Snitker was then asked if Inciarte’s contract status and track record would play into the decision, or if it would be based on performance this spring.

“I think it’s kind of see where everybody is this spring, more than anything,” he said. “We’ll just probably let the games and the performances dictate what goes on. I really don’t know how else to handle it.”