Jump to content

IF the Falcons take a round 1 qb..


Which round 1 quarterback?  

127 members have voted

  1. 1. Assuming Lawrence is gone and IF the Falcons were to draft a qb in round 1, which is your preferred? Granted, drafting Mac Jones or Lance may offer a slight trade back, but this is your choice for your qb post Matt Ryan

    • Zach Wilson
      49
    • Justin Fields
      36
    • Trey Lance
      26
    • Mac Jones
      17


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have liked to have seen Benkert get some playing time with our starters at some point last season 

I would have my impressive 6.0 40 time on full display as I ran to the podium....if Wilson was there at 4.

just no to any of those

Trey Lance. In this situation, I see his lack of experience as a positive for us. He's moldable and likely won't complain about learning under Ryan for a couple of years. If Fields and Wilson are drafted by teams to start day one and we draft Lance, I guarantee Lance winds up having the better career by getting to learn the game and watch how Ryan approaches it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 9:49 PM, marvinthemartian said:

I would have liked to have seen Benkert get some playing time with our starters at some point last season 

Sadly, it just wasn't possible to get him in for even a few snaps with the dogfight we were in for a play-off spot all season long.  :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, blknoble357 said:

So if I reading your comments correctly, you like ZW because of arm strength, he improvise and he can adjust his arm angle to throw the ball down field or sidearm the ball? Just trying to understand.

Generally speaking yes. All of those things included are examples of his ability to create on the fly more like Patrick Mahomes who you often see throwing across his body when he sees a receiver break open.  He’s more aware than JF.  He improvises better in & out of the pocket with his throws.  I thought I articulated thoroughly in my rather lengthy post above.  I think it’s all of the things I mentioned that have people nudging Wilson slightly ahead of Fields.  How it plays out in the nfl at the end of the day remains to be seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Fields.  I think taking any of those 4 at number 4 is a mistake, but if we have to have one, Fields has the best combination of upside and NFL ready of the remaining candidates.

Curious, why is taking any of the QBs at #4 a mistake?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it hilarious that the people that like Wilson discredit Fields because of his performance against a team like Northwestern (Despite half his team being out due to COVID) but ignore the fact that the only decent defense Wilson played all year he looked terrified in the pocket and they lost. They also pretend that his horrific 2019 season never happened. 11 TDs in 9 games not to mention the 7 INTs. He has been playing garbage level competition his whole career and finally had a great year this year. One year wonder.

Wilson has played 6 ranked teams in his whole entire 3 years at BYU...His record is 2-4. 

Meanwhile Fields played 5 ranked teams in just an 8 game season this year... His record is 4-1. The only loss coming against the god squad of Alabama. He has lost 2 games in 2 years.

If a QB is great, Even low level teams the QB will find a way to win. Matt Ryan got the awful squad of Boston College to #2 in the rankings. Only other player worth a crap on that team was Gosder Cherilus and Ron Brace and neither were anything to write home about. Zach Wilson is the flavor of the month QB that will get drafted too high and a team will regret it later. I would take Mac Jones in the 2nd before I took Zach Wilson at 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, isproab said:

Curious, why is taking any of the QBs at #4 a mistake?

Because we are a 12-4 team with a new coach, we have top 5 talent and what we have seen over the past 3 years didn't really happen. Well it did, but it was solely because of coaching and the players themselves are not accountable.

We have a new coach and he is a massive upgrade over DQ, who was literally labeled(by many)the greatest coach in Falcons history.

Clear enough?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know but my last choice would be Mac Jones. I'm a believer if you're a QB for a loaded blue blood team and scouts don't think you're the #1 overall pick, there's probably a problem. Scouts have been watching Alabama more closely than any other team the last 10 years. There's nothing they don't know about Mac Jones. And no one think he is even a top 5 pick. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I find it hilarious that the people that like Wilson discredit Fields because of his performance against a team like Northwestern (Despite half his team being out due to COVID) but ignore the fact that the only decent defense Wilson played all year he looked terrified in the pocket and they lost. They also pretend that his horrific 2019 season never happened. 11 TDs in 9 games not to mention the 7 INTs. He has been playing garbage level competition his whole career and finally had a great year this year. One year wonder.

Wilson has played 6 ranked teams in his whole entire 3 years at BYU...His record is 2-4. 

Meanwhile Fields played 5 ranked teams in just an 8 game season this year... His record is 4-1. The only loss coming against the god squad of Alabama. He has lost 2 games in 2 years.

If a QB is great, Even low level teams the QB will find a way to win. Matt Ryan got the awful squad of Boston College to #2 in the rankings. Only other player worth a crap on that team was Gosder Cherilus and Ron Brace and neither were anything to write home about. Zach Wilson is the flavor of the month QB that will get drafted too high and a team will regret it later. I would take Mac Jones in the 2nd before I took Zach Wilson at 4.

Money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, isproab said:

Curious, why is taking any of the QBs at #4 a mistake?

Because I think the drop-off from Lawrence to the next guy is enormous (I happen to think that guy is Fields, but I find it interesting that no one is really making the case that any of the 4 in the poll should go at number 1 instead of Lawrence).  I also don't think Fields will be there, because I think he will go to either the 2nd or 3rd team, or to a team that trades up to 2 or 3 to get him.  Even if he is, I think that means Wilson went ahead of him, and that makes it highly likely Sewell or Slater are on the board, and I think both are better picks.  And most of all, I think if either Fields or Wilson slides to us, there will be a team wanting to mortgage the draft to move up to our spot and take him, and we will have the opportunity to trade down and stockpile picks, which we badly need over a guy who isn't going to start for us at least for a year, maybe 2 or more.

41 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Because we are a 12-4 team with a new coach, we have top 5 talent and what we have seen over the past 3 years didn't really happen. Well it did, but it was solely because of coaching and the players themselves are not accountable.

We have a new coach and he is a massive upgrade over DQ, who was literally labeled(by many)the greatest coach in Falcons history.

Clear enough?

 

You do a poor enough job speaking for yourself.  Don't speak for me.  Especially when what you say is this utterly stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Because I think the drop-off from Lawrence to the next guy is enormous (I happen to think that guy is Fields, but I find it interesting that no one is really making the case that any of the 4 in the poll should go at number 1 instead of Lawrence).  I also don't think Fields will be there, because I think he will go to either the 2nd or 3rd team, or to a team that trades up to 2 or 3 to get him.  Even if he is, I think that means Wilson went ahead of him, and that makes it highly likely Sewell or Slater are on the board, and I think both are better picks.  And most of all, I think if either Fields or Wilson slides to us, there will be a team wanting to mortgage the draft to move up to our spot and take him, and we will have the opportunity to trade down and stockpile picks, which we badly need over a guy who isn't going to start for us at least for a year, maybe 2 or more.

You do a poor enough job speaking for yourself.  Don't speak for me.  Especially when what you say is this utterly stupid.

That's a pretty good point about Lawrence vs the other guys & them not even in the mention for #1.  But that's more a testament for TL than a hit on the other guys I think.  Burrow is an example similar to Trevor too I think.  But there have been times where you see a number of guys that are lumped in the mix like JF & ZW and such, where it becomes more of a scouting or team fit philosophy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Because I think the drop-off from Lawrence to the next guy is enormous (I happen to think that guy is Fields, but I find it interesting that no one is really making the case that any of the 4 in the poll should go at number 1 instead of Lawrence).  I also don't think Fields will be there, because I think he will go to either the 2nd or 3rd team, or to a team that trades up to 2 or 3 to get him.  Even if he is, I think that means Wilson went ahead of him, and that makes it highly likely Sewell or Slater are on the board, and I think both are better picks.  And most of all, I think if either Fields or Wilson slides to us, there will be a team wanting to mortgage the draft to move up to our spot and take him, and we will have the opportunity to trade down and stockpile picks, which we badly need over a guy who isn't going to start for us at least for a year, maybe 2 or more.

You do a poor enough job speaking for yourself.  Don't speak for me.  Especially when what you say is this utterly stupid.

 

Did I quote you or something like that JDaveG?  Get over yourself and actually thinking your so important that a random response to a post, revolved around your thoughts or rather tried to be the voice of the mighty JDaveG. You act like it was an exclusive phone call call that I was eavesdropping on and then tried, interject myself in. It's an open forum and if you are that insecure, well that's on you. 

To the rest of the board members, if I confused you and what I typed you mistook as coming actually form JDaveG, then I apologize in advance. 

Also tell me why the drop off is so big? Oh QB whisper? You have no idea at all how these guys will pan out. None. Nobody on this forum or living on earth does.

Again, get over yourself.

 

Edited by PointSwayzee
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

 

Did I quote you or something like that JDaveG?  Get over yourself and actually thinking your so important that a random response to a post, revolved around your thoughts or rather tried to be the voice of the mighty JDaveG. You act like it was an exclusive phone call call that I was eavesdropping on and then tried, interject myself in. It's an open forum and if you are that insecure, well that's on you. 

To the rest of the board members, if I confused you and what I typed you mistook as coming actually form JDaveG, then I apologize in advance. 

Also tell me why the drop off is so big? Oh QB whisper? You have no idea at all how these guys will pan out. None. Nobody on this forum or living on earth does.

Again, get over yourself.

 

No, you chose to answer a question someone else posed to me.

You chose poorly.  You answered poorly.  This response was done poorly.  Do better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, izibit74 said:

Cant beat coastal carolina lol

Just an off game I would imagine, everyone has them. He has some really good work on film, maybe better than Lawrence's film, truthfully. Go watch Lawrence throw this past week. If you base his entire body of work on one game or one throwing session, then you are not doing any player justice.

Does Lawrence's stock drop because his throws in the red zone at a workout were off? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Because I think the drop-off from Lawrence to the next guy is enormous (I happen to think that guy is Fields, but I find it interesting that no one is really making the case that any of the 4 in the poll should go at number 1 instead of Lawrence).  I also don't think Fields will be there, because I think he will go to either the 2nd or 3rd team, or to a team that trades up to 2 or 3 to get him.  Even if he is, I think that means Wilson went ahead of him, and that makes it highly likely Sewell or Slater are on the board, and I think both are better picks.  And most of all, I think if either Fields or Wilson slides to us, there will be a team wanting to mortgage the draft to move up to our spot and take him, and we will have the opportunity to trade down and stockpile picks, which we badly need over a guy who isn't going to start for us at least for a year, maybe 2 or more.

I just think the QB makes it all go. Once you have a really good QB, you typically have a shot. I think Fields is the guy. I personally like him better than Lawrence. If I could see into the future and told you Fields is going to have a Russell Wilson type career, I don't think anyone would pass on that. So what if he sits his first or maybe even second year. 

Not saying that I think Fields is in that track, honestly, who know. To be in the playoffs both of his years as a starter with his tools, there has never been a more tested and proven guy to be sold short. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Because we are a 12-4 team with a new coach, we have top 5 talent and what we have seen over the past 3 years didn't really happen. Well it did, but it was solely because of coaching and the players themselves are not accountable.

We have a new coach and he is a massive upgrade over DQ, who was literally labeled(by many)the greatest coach in Falcons history.

Clear enough?

 

OK, well let's see. You may be guilty of the same thing others did with DQ. Sure, 2016 was a historic offense, but that didn't make DQ the greatest coach in Falcons history. He would have needed to win that title. Even then, it was built on the offense. Not DQ's specialty. 

I think in 2021 we are more of a 7 or 8 win team if we get the roster squared away with some key pieces. I don't see playoffs, but that's just me.  Aging quarterback, no RB of note. OL that can't run block or pass block. All world WR that is aging and often injured. Defense that makes few plays and can't get to the QB. No safeties right now.  I just don't see playoffs. Would take a heck of an off season. 

I believe in Arthur Smith, but I would be shocked with double digit wins in 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Just an off game I would imagine, everyone has them. He has some really good work on film, maybe better than Lawrence's film, truthfully. Go watch Lawrence throw this past week. If you base his entire body of work on one game or one throwing session, then you are not doing any player justice.

Does Lawrence's stock drop because his throws in the red zone at a workout were off? 

 

If anybody is having their body of work judged based on a limited sample it's Wilson. Lawrence was winning the national championship as a freshman. Wilson was doing absolutely nothing of note. Wilson has a few games where he has a few pretty throws. Lawrence has 3 full years of extremely good production. There is no comparison.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, isproab said:

OK, well let's see. You may be guilty of the same thing others did with DQ. Sure, 2016 was a historic offense, but that didn't make DQ the greatest coach in Falcons history. He would have needed to win that title. Even then, it was built on the offense. Not DQ's specialty. 

I think in 2021 we are more of a 7 or 8 win team if we get the roster squared away with some key pieces. I don't see playoffs, but that's just me.  Aging quarterback, no RB of note. OL that can't run block or pass block. All world WR that is aging and often injured. Defense that makes few plays and can't get to the QB. No safeties right now.  I just don't see playoffs. Would take a heck of an off season. 

I believe in Arthur Smith, but I would be shocked with double digit wins in 2021.

/purple indicates sarcasm

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 10:02 PM, PokerSteve said:

Sadly, it just wasn't possible to get him in for even a few snaps with the dogfight we were in for a play-off spot all season long.  :rolleyes:

We may have seen Benkert play if the head coaching slot wasn't in flux.  Really, Raheem and co were playing to win.  They wanted to be employed next season, somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...