IF the Falcons take a round 1 qb..

Which round 1 quarterback?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Lawrence is gone and IF the Falcons were to draft a qb in round 1, which is your preferred? Granted, drafting Mac Jones or Lance may offer a slight trade back, but this is your choice for your qb post Matt Ryan

• Zach Wilson
    • Justin Fields
    • Trey Lance
    • Mac Jones

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have liked to have seen Benkert get some playing time with our starters at some point last season 

I would have my impressive 6.0 40 time on full display as I ran to the podium....if Wilson was there at 4.

just no to any of those

Lance as a trade back option and only with the complete understanding that he was a backup for the next 2 years maybe in a Taysom Hill type role with the idea of showcasing him and trading him after 2 seasons.

Ryan aint going nowhere.  There isnt a QB in college that can take the position from him and after this season, his contract gets more friendly.

I prefer the Trask Ehrlinger options, but they werent in the poll and we wouldnt be wasting a first rounder on the one position where the player is basically guaranteed not to play for 3 years or more.

13 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

I would have liked to have seen Benkert get some playing time with our starters at some point last season 

This. Its as if they didn't want Benkert TO COMPETE.  Teams that are afraid to push their starting quarterback inevitably fail the team as a whole. Rodgers got complacent, Packers draft a quarterback,  Rodgers becomes MVP level.

18 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

This. Its as if they didn't want Benkert TO COMPETE.  Teams that are afraid to push their starting quarterback inevitably fail the team as a whole. Rodgers got complacent, Packers draft a quarterback,  Rodgers becomes MVP level.

In his defense, Morris was literally coaching for his/a job

13 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

Something I don't understand about people that think this way or like this comment.  NFL players are not created equal.  The one's that have been identified to be franchise QBs typically are drafted.  Not always round 1, but generally I think if you look at starting QB's since 1994 (when the NFL draft moved to 7 rounds).  The overwhelming number of guys to start NFL games at the QB sport have been guys picked between rounds 1 and 4.  I pull that just from what I have seen.

Every blue moon there is a guy that is a FA that gets some starts or even a round 5-7 guy.  If I could pull that stats of number of games played since 1994 and the starting QBs for each game, its RARE that you have a free agent end up a franchise QB.  Knowing this, I don't understand why for years this has always been a talking point on the board.  Not just with QBs, but there always seems to be a favorite undrafted free agent that people think can be a starter if he just got a look.  It does work out more frequently with other positions, but rarely with QBs.  I trust that the team at least knows what a starting caliber player looks like.  Throw in Benkert with Cole Magner, Jerious Norwood, Kerry Meier, etc.

31 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

In his defense, Morris was literally coaching for his/a job

Morris didn't have any say so with the quarterback. A full time coach is gonna run it by the front office before he benches a starting quarterback. Do you believe a interim head coach would go there? Its politics too. This is why Wentz is whining about leaving the eagles. The front office was behind benching him for Hurts. Its politics.

Ok, If we’re at 4 & the org wants to grab it’s QB of the future, it will be between Fields & Wilson.  
I think the forced comparisons have finally trickled from the pro personnel & scouting communities down to the laymen & social media throngs.  Zach Wilson is beginning to surpass JF as the favorite to be the 2nd ranked QB prospect.

Although I don’t think the separation is vast, Zach Wilson has a couple of tangible & intangible things that have propelled him past Fields.

Although Justin has an advantage when observing them from a physical stature perspective, I tend to agree with what Bucky Brooks said that both QB’s have talent, but Zach is the more skilled player.

Both guys have flaws obviously. Most all do. Both have live arms but Zach has the better of the two with an advantage of also having the better deep ball. A foot race might go to JF, although both QB’s have good mobility.

Right now, ZW flashes more wow factor moments.  The stage has been set by Patrick Mahomes.  Although neither ZW nor JF can compare to those wow arm skills, Wilson’s film flashes more of this type of skillset... ie, throwing back across his body out of nowhere to hit a WR who broke open at the last second, or adjusting his arm angle to release a ball sidearm to avoid a defender’s outstretched arms, etc... if these skills mean anything, ZW is your guy at this moment in time.

Personally, my gut has been here for a short while now.  But I wanted to give it time to hear & see more with regards to these two guys.  My favorite QB has been PM now for some time because of his improvisational skills & his ability to create on the fly.  That’s why Zach is gaining more notoriety lately I’m pretty sure.

But choosing a QB is still an imperfect science & has a way of leaving teams either pleasantly surprised or unpleasantly disappointed.  But you must pay to play & you can’t win without playing.

What this team may do remains a mystery to me. There never is a “right answer” on draft day.  The answers appear only in hindsight several years later.  Nobody saw Brady, Mahomes, Brees, Manning, RW or name dozens more.  They just fulfilled what God gave to them at the next level.  We saw it with Mahomes & are beginning to see it with Josh Allen...

If this team trades back to take ad advantage of the demand for QB talent, fine. I’m ok with that. But on the flip side of that coin, if ZW or JF is their target, I have come to a place where I am also ok with moving up a slot or two.  Nothing comes easy & our destiny hangs in the balance.  If it takes a stroke of luck or the balls to make bold moves, my hope is that our franchise will flourish & TF, AS & company are blessed with success.

53 minutes ago, isproab said:

Something I don't understand about people that think this way or like this comment.  NFL players are not created equal.  The one's that have been identified to be franchise QBs typically are drafted.  Not always round 1, but generally I think if you look at starting QB's since 1994 (when the NFL draft moved to 7 rounds).  The overwhelming number of guys to start NFL games at the QB sport have been guys picked between rounds 1 and 4.  I pull that just from what I have seen.

Every blue moon there is a guy that is a FA that gets some starts or even a round 5-7 guy.  If I could pull that stats of number of games played since 1994 and the starting QBs for each game, its RARE that you have a free agent end up a franchise QB.  Knowing this, I don't understand why for years this has always been a talking point on the board.  Not just with QBs, but there always seems to be a favorite undrafted free agent that people think can be a starter if he just got a look.  It does work out more frequently with other positions, but rarely with QBs.  I trust that the team at least knows what a starting caliber player looks like.  Throw in Benkert with Cole Magner, Jerious Norwood, Kerry Meier, etc.

Schaub retired. We need a backup. We don’t know if Benkert can fill that back up role or not. We might have known it a little more clearly had he gotten a chance to play a little with the number 1s. Nobody even remotely suggested that he would be in line to be the starter. I know I didn’t. 

2 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

Schaub retired. We need a backup. We don’t know if Benkert can fill that back up role or not. We might have known it a little more clearly had he gotten a chance to play a little with the number 1s. Nobody even remotely suggested that he would be in line to be the starter. I know I didn’t. 

You don't think the coaches know what he is capable of at this point?  You don't think they have been watching him every day in practice?  I'm sure if they feel he is an NFL talent long term, he would be in the mix.  Maybe they go with him as the backup this year, maybe they don't.  If they bring in another guy and draft a QB, that could all but close the book on Kurt.

For me, and maybe its just a mind set thing.  I feel that if a guy is worthy of bigger things and has shown that he has "something", he will be given the opportunity.  You don't get the opportunity just because you are hanging around.

29 minutes ago, isproab said:

You don't think the coaches know what he is capable of at this point?  You don't think they have been watching him every day in practice?  I'm sure if they feel he is an NFL talent long term, he would be in the mix.  Maybe they go with him as the backup this year, maybe they don't.  If they bring in another guy and draft a QB, that could all but close the book on Kurt.

For me, and maybe its just a mind set thing.  I feel that if a guy is worthy of bigger things and has shown that he has "something", he will be given the opportunity.  You don't get the opportunity just because you are hanging around.

They had to know Schaub was retiring. Benkert is just taking up a spot and eating up cap space if you don’t think he can contribute. If he can’t help the team cut him and get someone who can. There are only 53 spots. Everybody has to be able to help. If you can’t you don’t belong on the team. 

1 hour ago, marvinthemartian said:

They had to know Schaub was retiring. Benkert is just taking up a spot and eating up cap space if you don’t think he can contribute. If he can’t help the team cut him and get someone who can. There are only 53 spots. Everybody has to be able to help. If you can’t you don’t belong on the team. 

My point exactly.  If he hasn't earned #2 by end of camp 2021, he likely isn't worth keeping.  

8 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Ok, If we’re at 4 & the org wants to grab it’s QB of the future, it will be between Fields & Wilson.  
I think the forced comparisons have finally trickled from the pro personnel & scouting communities down to the laymen & social media throngs.  Zach Wilson is beginning to surpass JF as the favorite to be the 2nd ranked QB prospect.

Although I don’t think the separation is vast, Zach Wilson has a couple of tangible & intangible things that have propelled him past Fields.

Although Justin has an advantage when observing them from a physical stature perspective, I tend to agree with what Bucky Brooks said that both QB’s have talent, but Zach is the more skilled player.

Both guys have flaws obviously. Most all do. Both have live arms but Zach has the better of the two with an advantage of also having the better deep ball. A foot race might go to JF, although both QB’s have good mobility.

Right now, ZW flashes more wow factor moments.  The stage has been set by Patrick Mahomes.  Although neither ZW nor JF can compare to those wow arm skills, Wilson’s film flashes more of this type of skillset... ie, throwing back across his body out of nowhere to hit a WR who broke open at the last second, or adjusting his arm angle to release a ball sidearm to avoid a defender’s outstretched arms, etc... if these skills mean anything, ZW is your guy at this moment in time.

Personally, my gut has been here for a short while now.  But I wanted to give it time to hear & see more with regards to these two guys.  My favorite QB has been PM now for some time because of his improvisational skills & his ability to create on the fly.  That’s why Zach is gaining more notoriety lately I’m pretty sure.

But choosing a QB is still an imperfect science & has a way of leaving teams either pleasantly surprised or unpleasantly disappointed.  But you must pay to play & you can’t win without playing.

What this team may do remains a mystery to me. There never is a “right answer” on draft day.  The answers appear only in hindsight several years later.  Nobody saw Brady, Mahomes, Brees, Manning, RW or name dozens more.  They just fulfilled what God gave to them at the next level.  We saw it with Mahomes & are beginning to see it with Josh Allen...

If this team trades back to take ad advantage of the demand for QB talent, fine. I’m ok with that. But on the flip side of that coin, if ZW or JF is their target, I have come to a place where I am also ok with moving up a slot or two.  Nothing comes easy & our destiny hangs in the balance.  If it takes a stroke of luck or the balls to make bold moves, my hope is that our franchise will flourish & TF, AS & company are blessed with success.

So if I reading your comments correctly, you like ZW because of arm strength, he improvise and he can adjust his arm angle to throw the ball down field or sidearm the ball? Just trying to understand.