Ice Will Be Falcon QB In 2021, Will It Be His Last Season Here?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I prefer Matt to be here through his contract, hence I don't want to draft a qb this year and burn two years of a rookie contract. Call me crazy

Would make sense to move him next season or after next season if that's the plan

I haven't seen a genius here yet

1 minute ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I agree that no matter which way the new regime goes they are going to be criticized. There’s multiple directions they can go. Nearly every scenario has its pros and cons. Drafting a QB is just a viable solution as drafting a LT. Despite popular belief, drafting any particular position isn’t throwing in the towel for my particular season. That’s not how football works whatsoever.

That being said, I believe we have the potential to reach the playoffs next season. We aren’t Super Bowl contenders but it’s a step in the right direction. I think worst case scenario we end up with a winning record. We have enough talent to win games, whether it’s consistent enough, or against top tier teams, is a different story. I expect a lot of ups and downs next season. Ultimately we have the ability to win. Whether or not we do is a different story. 

I'm down with everything you said, especially the bold. This team is going to be dam hard to beat. They were that way this past season, they'd just slowly disintegrate late in games. That's just not going to happen with Arthur Smith. He's going to score TD's in the Red Zone.

He's going to call third-down plays that keep drives going in the fourth quarter. Dean Pees is going to be a thorn in the side of any offense trying to come from behind on the Falcons. I can't wait to watch the new brand of Falcon football on offense and on defense. It's going to be exciting and we are going to have a winning record. No doubt in my mind.

100%, we all know our defense, specifically our pass rush needs help but it's not the strength of this draft. We have to go best player available from a long term standpoint, not a win now around Matt Ryan philosophy like we've done through 2 regimes. 

All the anti QB people yelling build the team don't look at the fact we're paying an above average but not great QB top dollar, limiting our ability to build around him. Matt is middle of the pack at this point in his career so why would we keep building around that.... because we're stuck with him for 1 or 2 years. A new regime doesn't want to only have their jobs for 2 to 3 years. 

Seems like our fan base is happy making the playoffs with no chance of winning it all 

4 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I'm down with everything you said, especially the bold. This team is going to be dam hard to beat. They were that way this past season, they'd just slowly disintegrate late in games. That's just not going to happen with Arthur Smith. He's going to score TD's in the Red Zone.

He's going to call third-down plays that keep drives going in the fourth quarter. Dean Pees is going to be a thorn in the side of any offense trying to come from behind on the Falcons. I can't wait to watch the new brand of Falcon football on offense and on defense. It's going to be exciting and we are going to have a winning record. No doubt in my mind.

Thank you. I think we should finished anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6. Anything 7-9 and above (given play) and I’m ok with because it’s a process. I think we should have a top ten offense next season. And maybe a defense ranked at best 17th overall. I doubt we correct that part of the ship immediately. That’s not a bad thing, $hit like that takes time. 

5 minutes ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

100%, we all know our defense, specifically our pass rush needs help but it's not the strength of this draft. We have to go best player available from a long term standpoint, not a win now around Matt Ryan philosophy like we've done through 2 regimes. 

All the anti QB people yelling build the team don't look at the fact we're paying an above average but not great QB top dollar, limiting our ability to build around him. Matt is middle of the pack at this point in his career so why would we keep building around that.... because we're stuck with him for 1 or 2 years. A new regime doesn't want to only have their jobs for 2 to 3 years. 

Seems like our fan base is happy making the playoffs with no chance of winning it all 

It's our lot as Falcon fans. When you're constantly starving, a baloney sandwich tastes almost like steak. 😆

16 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It doesn’t have to be the only option. Trading down if there is a partner could be best move in 2021. Assuming worst and Ryan just plays average like 2020, he can be traded next year for a QB hungry team. And if they can get extra 1st in 2022 with trade down this year and add picks from Ryan’s trade to move up and pick a QB next year. I am not thinking about Ryan retiring, how can this team navigate both situations with Ryan lighting up the league or failing in 2021. 

Let the 2021 play out, winning cures lot of this stuff. 

This is something no one has mentioned yet. If we trade Matt after this upcoming season and after trading down, we should have a crap load of draft picks. Worst case scenario is that we use those picks to move up for a QB like you said. Best case scenario is we actually win with Matt and also still have good draft capital. This year is not a “draft a QB by any means” year at all. 

I honestly don't care who we select as long as A. The actually make the team B.  Contribute ASAP and C. Are around more than a season.  I've been looking at our drafts over the last twenty years.  We are not that successful.  I'd rather an instant contributor with high play level than a project or maybe player.  We need home runs in this draft.  

1 hour ago, Atlantafan21 said:

This is something no one has mentioned yet. If we trade Matt after this upcoming season and after trading down, we should have a crap load of draft picks. Worst case scenario is that we use those picks to move up for a QB like you said. Best case scenario is we actually win with Matt and also still have good draft capital. This year is not a “draft a QB by any means” year at all. 

The fans/ media want most drama and clicks. HC and GM has to deliver to keep their jobs. HC or isn’t thinking about the move which gets most buzz and clicks. They have to factor in many different options and balance to deliver wins. You have seen many hot HC candidates fired after year two as HC in NFL. If AS and TF are thinking about must have player, it’s not better than TD falling in love with a particular player.  

1 hour ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

this times 1,000.

I would still say Matt is a little better than what you say above "above average" - but the juice is no longer worth the squeeze on Matt's salary.   Falcons can hit the escape clause in 2022 and have a 2nd yr QB who has taken a year to learn at NFL level and can start making an impact while still learning on the job.

Also, agree w/ you that the "anti-QB draft" brigade seems satisfied w/ a shot at making the playoffs - that doesn't interest me at all.   I'm interested in building a team capable of winning a SuperBowl.  Don't see that happening with Matt - even at better than above average.   You cannot win a SuperBowl when your former stars are on bloated contracts while their impact is diminishing - it just won't happen.

41 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

The fans/ media want most drama and clicks. HC and GM has to deliver to keep their jobs. HC or isn’t thinking about the move which gets most buzz and clicks. They have to factor in many different options and balance to deliver wins. You have seen many hot HC candidates fired after year two as HC in NFL. If AS and TF are thinking about must have player, it’s not better than TD falling in love with a particular player.  

Drafting a promising QB buys you more time as a GM or HC than any other move made.   If Falcons pass on a potential franchise QB at #4, this speeds up the "impatience time-clock" of the owner.   You better win in 2022 if  you don't draft a QB in 2021.

9 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Drafting a promising QB buys you more time as a GM or HC than any other move made.   If Falcons pass on a potential franchise QB at #4, this speeds up the "impatience time-clock" of the owner.   You better win in 2022 if  you don't draft a QB in 2021.

I don't think it matters who we draft, if we go 2 more years without sniffing the playoffs these guys are outta here.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

no, not if you are turning over Matt and Julio.   I could see both gone by 2022.

You're going by what YOU would do, I'm telling you how things work in the NFL. Especially when ab and rm have said they want to win now. If we go 2 more years without playoffs these guys are gone, regardless of whose under centre.

Personally, I think Matt Ryan will see the end of this current contract. Look what Arthur Smith's play calling and scheme did for Ryan Tannehill. He was an average at best QB before Arthur Smith. Matt Ryan is a far superior QB. He gives this regime the best chance to win right now. Take the bpa at 4 or if a QB is there and a QB needy team wants that guy, trade back for a bunch of picks. Build the rest of the roster and then take your shot at a QB in 2023. Building a team will give a young QB the best shot at early success

Edited by wnyfalconfan
2 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

You're going by what YOU would do, I'm telling you how things work in the NFL. Especially when ab and rm have said they want to win now. If we go 2 more years without playoffs these guys are gone, regardless of whose under centre.

if we draft a QB at #4 - I will take that bet.   Let's re-visit end of April.