Which DL do you think better defensive coaching and scheming could help break out?

gazoo

I have maintained for years we have more talent on the roster than the coaching staffs have been getting out of them. Here are some of the players that may surface as much better than we realize:

Deadrin Senat: Senat was looking good his rookie season, breaking into the backfield quite a bit and disrupting plays from the interior. It is a mystery to us all what happened to him. It could be he regressed his second year, if something else I could see Pees using him a lot in his lineups, even at the nose in 3 man fronts. He had a little bit of a NT frame with bigger, thick trunk. If he’s not cut for some reason we are unaware of, he could be highly productive as a rotation player in Pees defensive alignments.

Marlon Davidson: Had many issues with COVID killing training camp and injury he is a wildcard. I really liked him coming out of college and he has an upper body frame and hand violence similar to Rod Coleman. If he can stay healthy and get coached up by Pees he could still be a really good player. 

Steven Means: if we resign Means, he was actually flashing some ability last year. We will resign him if Pees likes what he sees on tape.

John Cominsky:  This is the player with the highest potential to break out in Pees defense IMO. I am not sure what happened to h8m last year but he was flashing big the year prior.  Pees knows how to take this kind of raw talent and place it in a position to shine.

2 or 3 of these players should be able to be in backfield at times to help with our pressure packages. We still need outside help, but I think Pees has some untapped talent already here to work with.

• gazoo changed the title to Which DL do you think better defensive coaching and scheming could help break out?
22 minutes ago, jazzyburrell said:

Jaylin Hawkins looked good in limited snaps. I think Mychal Walker could be a movable piece on the edge. 

My understanding is Pees often likes to play both safeties out of the box. Hawkins was looking great, very physical playing in box, hope he can transition. 

Walker looks like he’s got some diversity and can pressure the QB. Pees loves that.

Well, I think Davidsons slow start was more injury related. Senat I don’t know what to say. He could very wel l just be cut by the new regime, who knows.

my 2 that I hope the scheme itself helps more is Fowler and Cominsky. is Fowler’s poor season just injury? I think it may have been that some, but he Hasn’t had success before as a traditional hand in the dirt 4-3 end.

Cominsky was another case of taking a big DE and moving him inside. I think he has some game, he has shown some flashes...I think he will be a guy Pees likes and gets solid performance from. Don’t think he will become a double digit sack guy, but he can make a difference and be a solid contributor.

Marlon and Cominsky are the two I am excited to see.  I’m hoping Cominsky has gotten on an elite diet and strength program and works with someone like Smith in the off-season. Needs to maximize his physical potential and develop real skills.  Still say we need another month we to team up with Gradyand I just don’t know who that is. 

Edited by Godzilla1985

8 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Concerned with Keanu Neal.

We lack depth at that position and its playing a pivotal role in pass happy league.

I would let Keanu Neal be a ball hawking head hunter. Let him vary between Safety and LB.Use him heavily in blitz packages to get to the QB. Maybe also use him on TE and in run support. Do I want him covering fast WRs?  No. Do I want him moving all over the field, lining up in different positions and knocking the snot out of the QB and whoever has the ball?  If he can stay healthy the answer is absolutely yes. 

4 hours ago, MarkMc44 said:

There's a reason a reason Senet's been kept on the roster. Hopefully, we'll see it this season!

GO FALCONS!!!!

There’s a reason he didn’t play that had more than just what DQ thought. DQ, Morris and Ulbrich all put him on the pine. The reason he was kept on the roster is probably more about being a third rd pick and the lack of depth and talent on the DL. 
MW43 could flourish in Pees system and have a feeling JC50 will too.

I'm pretty sure senat and comisky and the players who are "board favorites" ala kerry meir and sunshine are just that. Board favorites who were not as good and wont be as good as people thought they were. 

Just like when DQ came on board and we had 53% turn over, we will see similar with this new coaching staff as they bring in guys they know. 

I'll bet senat isnt on the team and this is comisky last chance. Like, do we ready need another Beirman who almost gets pressure?

1 hour ago, runshoot said:

I'm pretty sure senat and comisky and the players who are "board favorites" ala kerry meir and sunshine are just that. Board favorites who were not as good and wont be as good as people thought they were. 

Just like when DQ came on board and we had 53% turn over, we will see similar with this new coaching staff as they bring in guys they know. 

I'll bet senat isnt on the team and this is comisky last chance. Like, do we ready need another Beirman who almost gets pressure?

You are ignoring the very essence of the thread. Is it the player or was it poor coaching and scheming that help these players back? 

We have seen bad players move to other teams and flourish before in a new scheme. We have seen great players move to other teams for big money and disappoint. 

So I am open on both/either possibility with the players I mentioned above. If Pees can get nothing out of Senat and Cominsky then that answers the question. But it is too early to conclude we’ve seen the best out of any of our young players. Pees knows how to scheme to utilize player strengths. We’ve not had that hear in quite some time.