How would you feel if the Falcons drafted Mac Jones?

On 2/14/2021 at 2:31 AM, Knight of God said:

Again, I watched every game. Hes a perfect way to understand how QBs are being pushed up this year. Hes a strong competitor, but understand the weapons he had. Strong pass, hes a 4th or 5th rounder in a 2nd round situation. Even the top guys are in that unenviable position. Jamie Newman in the 4th if available. If not, roll with what we have or sign one.

I have to say I am really surprised to see you put Jones as a 4th or 5th round QB.

Is he a 1st round QB to start day 1, no.  The best situation for him is to be able to sit a year and learn behind a veteran, but I just don't see him as a 4th or 5th rounder. I could be wrong.

32 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I have to say I am really surprised to see you put Jones as a 4th or 5th round QB.

Is he a 1st round QB to start day 1, no.  The best situation for him is to be able to sit a year and learn behind a veteran, but I just don't see him as a 4th or 5th rounder. I could be wrong.

I see Mac in the second at worst.  Sometimes people are hard on a player because he had better toys.  To me, he is the epitome of a developmental QB with the eye on him starting in two to three years.  

On 2/15/2021 at 8:16 AM, Mr.11 said:

I think Jones also understood what he had. He seems to be a smart kid who excelled within the system he played in and understood what his teammates skillsets were and used that to his advantage. I think that's the kind of decision making and football IQ you look for in a QB.

Whether he's a 2nd rounder or 4th rounder is all subjective. That's all based on supply and demand. Whatever the case ends up being he'll still probably be the fifth QB off the board (after Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, and Lance), which is still indicative of where most analysts and college football savants have him pegged in the QB rankings.

Hits on my feelings exactly.  Who cares who he was surrounded by, watch the kid play.  He made the right decision play after play.  Sure he had a lot of talent, but he put up the best passing efficiency of all time.

I don't want a QB who will toss it into double coverage if there is someone else wide open.  His mobility concerns are way overblown considering he carried the ball to move the chains many times in the championship game.  Navigating the pocket and being able to extend the play is all that's necessary, you don't need a Lamar Jackson to have a successful NFL offense.  You need a guy that makes the right read and makes the most efficient decisions every opportunity.  Plus the guy pushes the ball downfield on this throws, he's not just dinking and dunking.  He has elite deep ball accuracy and isn't afraid to let it loose.  I find it weird that of all the issues all the other prospects have, the one that stands out the most is Jones who can only truly be knocked on surrounding talent, not anything related to his playstyle or abilities.

I wouldn't be upset with Mac Jones, honestly I feel like he's the guy I'd most want out of this class (outside Lawrence).  I'm just not sold on Fields or Wilson and their value at the spot people believe they will be drafted at.  Too many desperate teams wanting to find anything about these guys to believe in that will drive up the price to acquire.  I just think the value isn't there, and it appears many teams believe the same with how they are trying to deal so heavily for the Free Agent QB's available and trade targets.

5 hours ago, isproab said:

For me Jones is not a first round QB.  If you draft him outside of round 1, I could live with it.  I do prefer other guys.  For me, its obvious how the game is going.  Defenses are fast, QBs need to be able to move.  For all the talk about Mahomes, he only ran 4.8 at the combine.  He has really good feet and awareness, he moves precisely when he needs to.

So no, a QB doesn't need to be a 4.5 guy, but going into this next phase after Matt Ryan, I feel that its important to have a QB that can not only move off his spot and make plays consistently, but be a legit weapon when things break down.  Love the way Jones moved his offense, but it is Alabama, the best team in college football over the last 12 years.  Superior talent and coaching.  If our little society here is going to hold Fields in a negative light for being from Ohio State who hasn't produced even a moderately successfully NFL QB.  I will apply the same to any QB coming out of Alabama this side of 2000.  I know we are not trying to go back to Broadway Joe, Stabler and Starr....Tua/Hurtz are still unknown quantities.

I think there are other valid concerns for Fields than many want to admit.  He hasn't been the best at moving through his progressions.  Mac Jones is currently better at this than Justin Fields at least in my opinion.

I prefer to know that a guy can do that to have a better transition into the pros.  Just my 2c.

5 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

I think there are other valid concerns for Fields than many want to admit.  He hasn't been the best at moving through his progressions.  Mac Jones is currently better at this than Justin Fields at least in my opinion.

I prefer to know that a guy can do that to have a better transition into the pros.  Just my 2c.

I hear you, but I don't really know of a one read inept QB that had the soph. year that Fields did.

12 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

Hits on my feelings exactly.  Who cares who he was surrounded by, watch the kid play.  He made the right decision play after play.  Sure he had a lot of talent, but he put up the best passing efficiency of all time.

I don't want a QB who will toss it into double coverage if there is someone else wide open.  His mobility concerns are way overblown considering he carried the ball to move the chains many times in the championship game.  Navigating the pocket and being able to extend the play is all that's necessary, you don't need a Lamar Jackson to have a successful NFL offense.  You need a guy that makes the right read and makes the most efficient decisions every opportunity.  Plus the guy pushes the ball downfield on this throws, he's not just dinking and dunking.  He has elite deep ball accuracy and isn't afraid to let it loose.  I find it weird that of all the issues all the other prospects have, the one that stands out the most is Jones who can only truly be knocked on surrounding talent, not anything related to his playstyle or abilities.

I wouldn't be upset with Mac Jones, honestly I feel like he's the guy I'd most want out of this class (outside Lawrence).  I'm just not sold on Fields or Wilson and their value at the spot people believe they will be drafted at.  Too many desperate teams wanting to find anything about these guys to believe in that will drive up the price to acquire.  I just think the value isn't there, and it appears many teams believe the same with how they are trying to deal so heavily for the Free Agent QB's available and trade targets.

Amazing take.  Agreed.

6 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I could be wrong as well. I love my team, but I rarely trust certain positions for the NFL.

18 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

I see Mac in the second at worst.  Sometimes people are hard on a player because he had better toys.  To me, he is the epitome of a developmental QB with the eye on him starting in two to three years.  

It is kind of weird that they hold it against Jones based on the fact that "he was surrounded by NFL talent at Bama". My comment to those is, isn't he going to be surrounded by NFL talent in the NFL?