How would you feel if the Falcons drafted Mac Jones?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a Jones fan as well and a perfect QB to sit under Matt.  

He passes the eye test, but this article scares me https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-mac-jones-despite-gaudy-statistics-at-alabama-lacks-in-key-areas-as

I wouldn't hate actually having him on the team, but I've started coming around to trading down for anything including a 1st next year and picking up someone like Mond or Ehlinger later in the draft t

I just almost never like 2nd round QB’s. The guys who weren’t good enough to be taken with top picks but you still have to use a premium pick on. In many best case scenarios, you get a Andy Dalton type guy who will never reach elite category. Worst case, and you’re stuck with Christian Hackenberg or Jimmy Clausen.

Looking at last 2nd round QBs, Brees is the shining exception and he might as well have been a late 1st round pick  (32nd overall).

On 2/13/2021 at 1:10 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If the Falcons were to draft a QB this year Mac Jones is probably my favorite that would be available. I think he would be successful in our offense and culture. 

I don't want to debate the likelihood of the Falcons drafting a QB at 4. I just want to know if you guys think Mac Jones would be a great fit for our offense? I think his personality would fit as well.

I can get behind that if we traded back, he is the only 2nd tier QB i would take if we past on Fields and Lawrence is the only 1st tier QB I would take over Fields, just my take 

The dude oozes with confidence. He is a baller. His deep ball is so pretty, and it wasn't just Devonta Smith. Smitty was good, but Mac helped him out a good bit too. 

Tua was the more athletic of the 2 Alabama QBs and has the higher ceiling, but I would argue Mac is the safer pick of the two. Mac learning behind Ryan for a year or two would be... awesome tbh. 

If the Falcons draft a QB with the 4th pick, and end up missing out on an opportunity to replenish the defense, then I’ll not like it. I know many want to draft a QB for the future, but we're not going to get anyone at 4 that is going to come in an be a better QB than Ryan, not this year, and not next year either IMO. Meanwhile, the Falcons have a garbage defense with many holes. It is the defense that holds this team back more often than not, and one that needs to be rebuilt aside from a handful of players. Fix this defense, get a good running back (like Najee), and the Falcons can be dangerous again.

The Falcons have a guy that could be a decent plan B. I say develop Benkert (who’s mobile and throws a good ball), as he is probably more NFL ready than any QB the Falcons get at number 4. Save some money on the Cap and get us a CB, RB and EDGE in the low rounds with a trade back.

On 2/13/2021 at 3:31 PM, *TMo* said:

Disapointed

Yep, a stat that should be looked at with Jones is how much pressure did he face? I don't think he faced a lot at Bama. An often clean pocket with a stable of Stud RBs and WRs. 

3 hours ago, sappy1 said:

Yep, a stat that should be looked at with Jones is how much pressure did he face? I don't think he faced a lot at Bama. An often clean pocket with a stable of Stud RBs and WRs. 

Truth.  But, he also had to read the defense, go through his progressions, and make good choices.  I'm not saying Mac Jones is Joe Montana, but his skillset contributed to the success of Bama. 

20 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

If the Falcons draft a QB with the 4th pick, and end up missing out on an opportunity to replenish the defense, then I’ll not like it. I know many want to draft a QB for the future, but we're not going to get anyone at 4 that is going to come in an be a better QB than Ryan, not this year, and not next year either IMO. Meanwhile, the Falcons have a garbage defense with many holes. It is the defense that holds this team back more often than not, and one that needs to be rebuilt aside from a handful of players. Fix this defense, get a good running back (like Najee), and the Falcons can be dangerous again.

The Falcons have a guy that could be a decent plan B. I say develop Benkert (who’s mobile and throws a good ball), as he is probably more NFL ready than any QB the Falcons get at number 4. Save some money on the Cap and get us a CB, RB and EDGE in the low rounds with a trade back.

Reminds me of a young Schaub.  Same kind of motion, may actually be a better athlete.

For me Jones is not a first round QB.  If you draft him outside of round 1, I could live with it.  I do prefer other guys.  For me, its obvious how the game is going.  Defenses are fast, QBs need to be able to move.  For all the talk about Mahomes, he only ran 4.8 at the combine.  He has really good feet and awareness, he moves precisely when he needs to.

So no, a QB doesn't need to be a 4.5 guy, but going into this next phase after Matt Ryan, I feel that its important to have a QB that can not only move off his spot and make plays consistently, but be a legit weapon when things break down.  Love the way Jones moved his offense, but it is Alabama, the best team in college football over the last 12 years.  Superior talent and coaching.  If our little society here is going to hold Fields in a negative light for being from Ohio State who hasn't produced even a moderately successfully NFL QB.  I will apply the same to any QB coming out of Alabama this side of 2000.  I know we are not trying to go back to Broadway Joe, Stabler and Starr....Tua/Hurtz are still unknown quantities.

On 2/16/2021 at 9:19 AM, Herr Doktor said:

Mac Jones will be drafted by another franchise.  I have a weird feeling that the Falcons are going to look further down for their developmental QB if at all.  Benkert is still under contract.  Kellen Mond, may have shortcomings, has the skill set to be a good pro QB.

I have heard Mond mentioned several times in this thread. Did you guys watch him at A&M?

I like the guy, good guy, never in trouble, etc., but I don't see him having the skill set to be a good pro QB. I see him to be a good back-up QB at best. He had some horrible games, I mean some flat out terrible games at A&M! He has the drive and is a baller, but not sure he has the mindset.

6 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I have heard Mond mentioned several times in this thread. Did you guys watch him at A&M?

I like the guy, good guy, never in trouble, etc., but I don't see him having the skill set to be a good pro QB. I see him to be a good back-up QB at best. He had some horrible games, I mean some flat out terrible games at A&M! He has the drive and is a baller, but not sure he has the mindset.

True, but he is the ideal developmental QB.  Starter?  Who knows.  

18 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Truth.  But, he also had to read the defense, go through his progressions, and make good choices.  I'm not saying Mac Jones is Joe Montana, but his skillset contributed to the success of Bama. 

I wouldn't be mad at if we had time to develop him just don't trust qb that come from bama..and shout out to scp-049

6 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

Dude scp-049 is dope but I love scp-5000 I just found that story a few days ago and scp-001 gate guardian is cool too 

I got my 12 year old into the SCP world.  I feel like a bad parent.  He freaking loves it though.  So many potential great movies there!

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

I got my 12 year old into the SCP world.  I feel like a bad parent.  He freaking loves it though.  So many potential great movies there!

Oh no you raising him right lol and oh yeah 100 percent and I think it is a movie coming out for scp-049 its a Russian movie but it looks like it could be a good watch