How would you feel if the Falcons drafted Mac Jones?

12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

QB is hardly the only position which contains playmakers. For a few of us, we clearly see this team needs better playmakers at DE, RB, safety, corner much more than we do at QB. 

QB is the most important playmaker on the field. Nothing else really matters until the QB is squared away.
Save those other positions for later rounds, FA and later drafts. The timeframe we are dealing with is terrible. Our cap allocation is terrible. The only thing this team is capable of building at this moment is a 8 win team.

THE TIME IS NOW.

3 hours ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

Imagine being satisfied with just a serviceable QB in a league that has Josh Allen, Pat Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, and Russel Wilson on better teams with better coaching.
Example #475 of Tatf being scared of playmakers. At the most important position at that! You guys are so adamant on wasting these next 2 years when they can be building an actual solid roster with much better cap allocation. Satisfied with mediocrity.

And yet none of those playmakers you listed hoisted a Lombardi this year. 

Got beat out by a 40+ year old pocket passer with a great defense and run game. 

Example #4,742 of some on this board clamoring for a playmaker at QB whike the majority of them fall short year in and out. 

Give me a serviceable QB with a nasty run game and defense all day over the so called playmakers at QB. 

21 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

And yet none of those playmakers you listed hoisted a Lombardi this year. 

Got beat out by a 40+ year old pocket passer with a great defense and run game. 

Example #4,742 of some on this board clamoring for a playmaker at QB whike the majority of them fall short year in and out. 

Give me a serviceable QB with a nasty run game and defense all day over the so called playmakers at QB. 

Thats simply the competition we have to go through. We can’t even compete with what they got so we really ain’t touching Brady.

3 hours ago, lymond said:

My skepticism lies mainly in the fact that he had the best talent in college football surrounding him.   Otherwise, there’s nothing particularly special about him, or bama qbs in general since Namath/Stabler. 

Devil's advocate here, wouldn't he have the equivalent talent of a Bama team in the NFL?  

5 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Devil's advocate here, wouldn't he have the equivalent talent of a Bama team in the NFL?  

Yes, but his surrounding talent in the NFL won’t have the advantage that Alabama had over just about everyone in the NCAA.  

This is why I never get too carried away with prospects.   Nearly everyone in the NFL was all-conference in school.  Most of the guys that Jones, Lawrence, Fields and Wilson punked this season will be selling insurance in a year or two.  Instead they have to face a team made up of the eleven best defenders they ever saw in college, but now they face them all together.  Take all of the highlights made against B-level talent and toss them out.  They won’t matter. 

Mac Jones has BUST written all over him. He was surrounded by elite 5 star Bama talent including Najee Harris and Devonta Smith. At least half the college QB’s would have looked great or even better than Jones in that system. 

Edited by mqg96

17 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Again, I watched every game. Hes a perfect way to understand how QBs are being pushed up this year. Hes a strong competitor, but understand the weapons he had. Strong pass, hes a 4th or 5th rounder in a 2nd round situation. Even the top guys are in that unenviable position. Jamie Newman in the 4th if available. If not, roll with what we have or sign one.

i agree with you that the top guys are absolutely overhyped this year, but i think guys like jones, mond, ehlinger, and even book are good 2nd-3rd round guys with as much potential as anyone. it'll be interesting to see how the draft plays out and how these qb's look in 4/5 years, given that the lower a guy gets drafted the less opportunity he'll have to prove himself.

3 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Matt Jones has BUST written all over him. He was surrounded by elite 5 star Bama talent including Najee Harris and Devonta Smith. At least half the college QB’s would have looked great or even better than Jones in that system. 

elite talent and an elite play caller.  with that team even jake coker wouldve gone in the first round.

On 2/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If the Falcons were to draft a QB this year Mac Jones is probably my favorite that would be available. I think he would be successful in our offense and culture. 

I don't want to debate the likelihood of the Falcons drafting a QB at 4. I just want to know if you guys think Mac Jones would be a great fit for our offense? I think his personality would fit as well.

Only in the mid rounds

On 2/13/2021 at 3:37 PM, GATXBOI said:

I wouldn't hate it if we can get him between picks 25-35.. we will get a ransom for #4 if only one QB is picked in the top three. I can see us getting a defensive stud and then drafting Jones as our first two picks.

If we miss Jones I want either Mond Book or Ehlinger...possibly Buechele sleeper watched him at UT and SMU

I would take Najee before Jones, but I like Jones

18 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Sorry, that’s not playing devil’s advocate but rather missing the point entirely. 

12 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Matt Jones has BUST written all over him. He was surrounded by elite 5 star Bama talent including Najee Harris and Devonta Smith. At least half the college QB’s would have looked great or even better than Jones in that system. 

Couldn’t agree more about Matt Jones.. Big time bust, but he never played for Bama.. 

On 2/14/2021 at 7:31 AM, Knight of God said:

Again, I watched every game. Hes a perfect way to understand how QBs are being pushed up this year. Hes a strong competitor, but understand the weapons he had. Strong pass, hes a 4th or 5th rounder in a 2nd round situation. Even the top guys are in that unenviable position. Jamie Newman in the 4th if available. If not, roll with what we have or sign one.

I think Jones also understood what he had. He seems to be a smart kid who excelled within the system he played in and understood what his teammates skillsets were and used that to his advantage. I think that's the kind of decision making and football IQ you look for in a QB.

Whether he's a 2nd rounder or 4th rounder is all subjective. That's all based on supply and demand. Whatever the case ends up being he'll still probably be the fifth QB off the board (after Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, and Lance), which is still indicative of where most analysts and college football savants have him pegged in the QB rankings.

First: Too many holes on a defense that needs an infusion of talent to pick a QB early in the draft two years before needed.

Second: The benefit of adding a QB is that you get the highest paid position player on a rookie deal that is team friendly for 4-5 years. Allows you to bring in more talent and get some dead money off the books. When it's time to move on from Matt I will not argue with taking a QB early. Right now, Matt is still playing at a high level, I believe he has another couple of years left in him. Rebuild after Ryan.

I like BPA @ #4.

47 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

I think Jones also understood what he had. He seems to be a smart kid who excelled within the system he played in and understood what his teammates skillsets were and used that to his advantage. I think that's the kind of decision making and football IQ you look for in a QB.

Whether he's a 2nd rounder or 4th rounder is all subjective. That's all based on supply and demand. Whatever the case ends up being he'll still probably be the fifth QB off the board (after Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, and Lance), which is still indicative of where most analysts and college football savants have him pegged in the QB rankings.

Ok