Black history playlist - movies

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have y'all ever seen Rosewood?   It stars Ving Rhames, Ester Rolle(Florida from Good Times), and Don Cheadle.   If you haven't, then don't watch it. Haven't been more pissed off du

The disrespect to Bruce Leroy

Bingo Long and the Traveling All-Stars Uptown Saturday Night Car Wash Shaft Harlem Nights Coming to America Bustin' Loose Beat Street Petey Wheatstraw, the Devi

On 2/16/2021 at 1:19 PM, Statick said:

Bingo Long and the Traveling All-Stars

Uptown Saturday Night

Car Wash

Shaft

Harlem Nights

Coming to America

Bustin' Loose

Beat Street

Petey Wheatstraw, the Devil's Son-in-Law

Undercover Brotha

Let's Do It Again

Black Belt Jones

All Pam Grier movies

Penitentiary

Juice

Black Panther

I always thought that "Shaft's Big Score" (the 2nd movie) was the best one.

13 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

In memory of Prince Markie Dee of the Fat Boys.

Only one Fat Boy left.

61rW7VqYbBL._SL1000_.jpg

This was such a dumb (but funny) movie. I would have went with Krush Groove but Disorderlies is a good one to submit. I'll bet Kool Rock is looking at that now that his two roll dawgs have passed and wondering what happened. The record industry is a meat grinder and it'll grinds young people and women the hardest.

On 2/20/2021 at 3:40 PM, JayOzOne said:

This was such a dumb (but funny) movie. I would have went with Krush Groove but Disorderlies is a good one to submit. I'll bet Kool Rock is looking at that now that his two roll dawgs have passed and wondering what happened. The record industry is a meat grinder and it'll grinds young people and women the hardest.

I remember watching a documentary of the Fat Boys. Prince Markie Dee was talking about how the producers of the record label that they were on wanted them to continue eating more and more to get bigger because they though the fatter they were meant the funnier.

Also said that they would get to their hotel rooms and would have boxes of pizza stacked up and buckets upon buckets of fried chicken along with huge amounts of other foods and desserts.

I know that had to play a role in Buff's(aka the Human Beat Box) death. Eatting that badly as well as touring extensively had to have early wear and tear on Markie Dee as well.

Oddly enough, Kool Rock has been very fit and lost all that weight for some years now. He takes his health very seriously.

3 hours ago, Andrews_31 said:

I actually saw her (and I mean, saw her as in passing) in 2019.  She looks old now.

Sadly, that's commonly the case for people who were in that profession for an extended amount of time. Especially women.

It's not really a good lifestyle to live. It uses you up if you allow it to. Also, I think she's in her 40's now.

On 2/18/2021 at 3:49 PM, JayOzOne said:

Wow. I don't think any of us mentioned one of the most obvious movies that needs to be on the list:Image result for get out

Or it's controversial follow-up:

Image result for us

We're not worthy.

I tried to stay away from anything recent.  I'm honestly happier with the results from the time before I existed.  I'll get some recommendations from my wife who has seen everything possible in the last 10 years.

13 hours ago, MoeBiden said:

Starting Get on the bus right now.

That's an interesting movie if only because the Million Man March was potentially a seminal moment but now is just a footnote. From a cultural standpoint, there was a brief moment of hope that flashed out almost as quickly as it appeared.

39 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

That's an interesting movie if only because the Million Man March was potentially a seminal moment but now is just a footnote. From a cultural standpoint, there was a brief moment of hope that flashed out almost as quickly as it appeared.

the dialog amongst the riders is particularly insightful when I reflected on the way we stereotype each other.  The movie honestly changed the way I looked at people in my community.  The lack of acceptance and comfort in the presence of those that you would expect to be at ease with hit home.  In a country that can often feel hostile to one's presence, it's odd that I could feel out of place even when around people that are like me and that movie let me know that I'm not alone.  the eerie tension and judgement that prevented the riders to just be themselves at the beginning was very familiar.

1 minute ago, MoeBiden said:

the dialog amongst the riders is particularly insightful when I reflected on the way we stereotype each other.  The movie honestly changed the way I looked at people in my community.  The lack of acceptance and comfort in the presence of those that you would expect to be at ease with hit home.  In a country that can often feel hostile to one's presence, it's odd that I could feel out of place even when around people that are like me and that movie let me know that I'm not alone.  the eerie tension and judgement that prevented the riders to just be themselves at the beginning was very familiar.

That was Spike Lee's internal dialogue. He's used to writing characters that he makes up but I guarantee, everybody in Get On The Bus reflects someone that he knew better than well. And a couple of them are probably his avatars.

5 hours ago, MoeBiden said:

the we I spoke of doesn't pertain to anyone specific, just thing's I've noticed.  Please, no one take offense.