Black history playlist - movies

4 hours ago, Andrews_31 said:

What are y'all shooting for, artsy or what???  Anyway:

• Any movie with Pam Grier showing her *******!!
  • Cooley High
  • Cornbread, Earl & Me
  • Claudine
  • Django Unchained (movie is funny as all ****!)
  • Harlem Nights
  • Coming to America
  • The Five Heartbeats
  • Hollywood Shuffle
  • Redtails
  • Mandingo 👿:slick:😂
  • A Raisin in the Sun
  • I Am Not Your Negro
  • If Beale Street Could Talk

I'll suggest some more later..................

Ole school list!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have y'all ever seen Rosewood?   It stars Ving Rhames, Ester Rolle(Florida from Good Times), and Don Cheadle.   If you haven't, then don't watch it. Haven't been more pissed off du

The disrespect to Bruce Leroy

Bingo Long and the Traveling All-Stars Uptown Saturday Night Car Wash Shaft Harlem Nights Coming to America Bustin' Loose Beat Street Petey Wheatstraw, the Devi

5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

That's why I don't watch these movies. That's the sole intention. You'll end up hating every white person you encounter watching these movies 

Yep

That's why I hated watching those types of movies with my mother and even my late grandmother over the years. Or even my late aunt. Most females I've been with have not gotten that pissed, but some were very disgusted.

I'm not gonna say it, but you already know what came out of their mouths when they voiced their opinions throughout and after the movies were over.

I don't go that far but I ain't gonna lie, those movies pissed me off also. I usually have to watch a comedy or something not so dark right afterwards just to change the mood.

4 hours ago, Andrews_31 said:

• Cooley High
  • Cornbread, Earl & Me
  • Claudine
  • Harlem Nights
  • Coming to America
  • The Five Heartbeats
  • Hollywood Shuffle
  • Redtails
  • A Raisin in the Sun
  • I Am Not Your Negro

What about any of the Rudy Ray Moore Dolemite movies?

Of course they're cheesy and terrible, but they are good in their own weird way. I found a great new respect for Moore when I watched Eddie Murphy's "Dolemite Is My Name". He had to go through **** just to get the first movie done and shown in theaters.

For as much as Moore really taking on the Dolemite persona in his life publicly with rhyming and bragging about women and everything, I had no idea that Moore was actually gay.

6 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

That's why I don't watch these movies. That's the sole intention. You'll end up hating every white person you encounter watching these movies 

6 hours ago, lostone said:

Judas and the black messiah is putting me in a mood.

Have y'all ever seen Rosewood?

It stars Ving Rhames, Ester Rolle(Florida from Good Times), and Don Cheadle.

If you haven't, then don't watch it. Haven't been more pissed off during a racially controversial movie than that one. It really struck a nerve the first time I watched it. Almost couldn't stomach it.

47 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

What about any of the Rudy Ray Moore Dolemite movies?

Of course they're cheesy and terrible, but they are good in their own weird way. I found a great new respect for Moore when I watched Eddie Murphy's "Dolemite Is My Name". He had to go through **** just to get the first movie done and shown in theaters.

For as much as Moore really taking on the Dolemite persona in his life publicly with rhyming and bragging about women and everything, I had no idea that Moore was actually gay.

"The Human Tornado" is currently playing on IMDB as I type! 😂

34 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

If you haven't, then don't watch it. Haven't been more pissed off during a racially controversial movie than that one. It really struck a nerve the first time I watched it. Almost couldn't stomach it.

DO NOT watch "Mississippi Burning" if you don't want to be pissed off all day!!!

3 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

John Singleton screwed it up by making it a "Man With No Name" western. There's too much truth to be told in Rosewood, Black Wall Street and other real places to waste by making movies a vehicle for Super****a. On the flipside, I actually appreciate how Black Wall Street was in the background of HBO's Watchmen and Lovecraft Country. Just seemed like Rosewood was a bit disrespectful to the source.

22 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

John Singleton screwed it up by making it a "Man With No Name" western. There's too much truth to be told in Rosewood, Black Wall Street and other real places to waste by making movies a vehicle for Super****a. On the flipside, I actually appreciate how Black Wall Street was in the background of HBO's Watchmen and Lovecraft Country. Just seemed like Rosewood was a bit disrespectful to the source.

True, Ving Rhames' character seemed like he was unstoppable lol. 

I would love to see a full depiction of what possibly happened to Black Wall Street. Sadly, that tragedy had been suppressed for years by the media and government. So much that we may never know most of what actually happened to that community in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

More info has came out in recent years, but it was covered up so well that we'll never get to fully hear the true horrors of that tragedy.

4 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I honestly will not bother with if I know the foundation. 

10 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

True, Ving Rhames' character seemed like he was unstoppable lol. 

I would love to see a full depiction of what possibly happened to Black Wall Street. Sadly, that tragedy had been suppressed for years by the media and government. So much that we may never know most of what actually happened to that community in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

More info has came out in recent years, but it was covered up so well that we'll never get to fully hear the true horrors of that tragedy.

They found an unknown graveyard in Tulsa last year. Who was buried there? Families were separated and broken that never got back together. Consider: If they didn't know where all these people were buried, they still have no clue how many were murdered. Not to bring politics in this safe space, but that's why Black people see January 6, 2021 differently than other Americans. The entitlement of those ***holes is  exactly what set off Rosewood and Tulsa riots and the Wilmington insurrection.

On 2/13/2021 at 7:15 AM, DonOfThemBirds said:

Go look up Oscar Micheaux. His works extended from the late 1910's to almost the 1950's

He is known as the first major black feature filmmaker and producer. You can find some of his work on YouTube.

The reason that many don't know who he was is because he took on issues of his time and made films that depicted lynchings, racism, rape, and other issues of the time. He also tried to portray blacks in a more positive light and negate black stereotypes.

Many of his movies were refused to be shown in theaters or pulled shortly after theatrical release. 

Sadly, a good portion of his films are lost forever due to not being preserved or destroyed due to government censorship of some of his work.

Awesome, I'm really thankful you senior fellas jumped in.  I'm going to watch and or read anything y'all recommend..

On 2/13/2021 at 6:29 PM, Andrews_31 said:

• Cooley High
  • Cornbread, Earl & Me
  • Claudine
  • Harlem Nights
  • Coming to America
  • The Five Heartbeats
  • Hollywood Shuffle
  • Redtails
  • A Raisin in the Sun
  • I Am Not Your Negro

I saw Mandingo, and it wasn't for history education lol

That said, did leave me feeling some type of way at the end.