Black history playlist - movies

MoeBiden

A Raisin In The Sun - Every Black man needs to watch this and pay attention to what's going on in it. Speaks to the weight from so many different pressures and it's a deep today as it was when it was made.

A Soldier's Story - My brother and I argue over who was right or wrong in this one. Turns out, everybody at the heart of the mystery was right and wrong.

Uptown Saturday Night & Let's Do It Again - Two of my favorite movies. I count Let's Do It Again as my favorite movie because something has to be and it might as well be this.

Malcolm X - Spike Lee's best movie. Minister Shabazz's arc in life is too much for a movie to accurately portray, but it was close enough.

Do The Right Thing - Spike Lee's second best movie. Levels and levels of subtext that you'll miss if you weren't alive at the time.

The Learning Tree - Gordan Parks' was a generational photographer and he directed one of the best movies about race in the South.

Black Panther - Not because it was great (it was close enough) but because it changed Hollywood. If you didn't have Black Panther making a billion, you wouldn't have had Crazy Rich Asians. And if you didn't have Crazy Rich Asians succeeding at the box office, you wouldn't have Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, which might be a blockbuster.

Uptight - This one is debatable with a lot of folks. I'm one of the only ones who likes it because even though the production values and acting were trash, the story was incredible. Blaxploitation's attempt to update a 1935 movie, it fictionalized what happened to Fred Hampton, the subject as Judas And The Black Messiah.

Cooley High - Not great, but the best movie about urban friendship between Black youth that you're going to watch.

Boyz N The Hood - Second best movie about urban friendship between Black youth that you're going to watch. Oh, and a rip-off of Cooley High.

The Color Purple - Stephen Spielberg took all kinds of **** from Black people for this movie but a better movie hasn't been made. The story, acting, production and humanity are perfect. If I had to name a perfect movie, this is the first one that comes to mind.

Menace 2 Society - This might be second on the "perfect movie" list even though it's hard as **** to watch. This movie would scare the pants off of most people who watch it but it's real because I knew people like those depicted. I watched it like I was watching a horror film.

Glory - I get ****ed up thinking about it. The fact that society hasn't brought us any further since the story depicted is shameful.

Something The Lord Made - Watch it and tell me you don't think Black History Month matters. Well, it wouldn't if Black history was taught as American history. Mos Def stopped being just a great rapper when he made this and became known as a remarkable actor. Plus, Alan Rickman is in it and I'm a fan.

I'll come back with more.

Go look up Oscar Micheaux. His works extended from the late 1910's to almost the 1950's

He is known as the first major black feature filmmaker and producer. You can find some of his work on YouTube.

The reason that many don't know who he was is because he took on issues of his time and made films that depicted lynchings, racism, rape, and other issues of the time. He also tried to portray blacks in a more positive light and negate black stereotypes.

Many of his movies were refused to be shown in theaters or pulled shortly after theatrical release. 

Sadly, a good portion of his films are lost forever due to not being preserved or destroyed due to government censorship of some of his work.

5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

The disrespect to Bruce Leroy

Waaaaaaaayyyyy down the list. If I'm putting together a Black HIstory movie playlist, Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon might not make the top 100. WIth that said, it's fun and Vanity was pure smoke in it. I'm a bigger fan of Laura Charles than Vanity. 😍

17 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Waaaaaaaayyyyy down the list. If I'm putting together a Black HIstory movie playlist, Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon might not make the top 100. WIth that said, it's fun and Vanity was pure smoke in it. I'm a bigger fan of Laura Charles than Vanity. 😍

I want all the smoke 

buSaHLlk_400x400.jpg

3 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Did he want her, though? Can't lie and say that I didn't have my doubts about ol' boy.

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

He wanted her. For whatever reason us light skin brothas get that type of reaction from the world 🙄

Leroy was just awkward and most likely a virgin. Why would he go through all of that if he didn't like the cooch?

He did ask her to "teach him some moves" at the end.

Leroy even got shot in the mouth over Laura. The thought of getting cooch was what made him brave enough to eventually get the glow 😆

1 minute ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Leroy was just awkward and most likely a virgin. Why would he go through all of that if he didn't like the cooch?

He did ask her to "teach him some moves" at the end.

Leroy even got shot in the mouth over Laura. The thought of getting cooch was what made him brave enough to eventually get the glow 😆

Man got a dam good point right here

2 minutes ago, lostone said:

Judas and the black messiah is putting me in a mood.

Usually movies based on racial tensions do that to you.

We all have those family members who want to riot and get really pissed off after seeing movies like Roots, Ghost of Mississippi, Amistad, Mississippi Burning, A Time to Kill, 12 Years A Slave, and many others.

That's why I can watch these types of movies if I have a family night and have everyone over. I usually watch them by myself.

Agree that those movies make you feel some type of way though.

I couldn't watch Birth Of A Nation (the recent one) because I've thought too much about Nat Turner's uprising to watch it fail on screen. I would have left the cinema being p***ed off at the world. Same for The Good Lord Bird about John Brown.

With that being said, I'm excited for Judas and the Black Messiah. I read a story about the guy who sold Fred Hampton and the Chicago Black Panthers out. He lived for decades in hiding and shame. I'm wondering how much of that aspect of the story will be in the movie.

3 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I couldn't watch Birth Of A Nation (the recent one) because I've thought too much about Nat Turner's uprising to watch it fail on screen. I would have left the cinema being p***ed off at the world. Same for The Good Lord Bird about John Brown.

With that being said, I'm excited for Judas and the Black Messiah. I read a story about the guy who sold Fred Hampton and the Chicago Black Panthers out. He lived for decades in hiding and shame. I'm wondering how much of that aspect of the story will be in the movie.

I can tell you I’d you’d like to know

What are y'all shooting for, artsy or what???  Anyway:

• Any movie with Pam Grier showing her *******!!
  • Cooley High
  • Cornbread, Earl & Me
  • Claudine
  • Django Unchained (movie is funny as all ****!)
  • Harlem Nights
  • Coming to America
  • The Five Heartbeats
  • Hollywood Shuffle
  • Redtails
  • Mandingo 👿:slick:😂
  • A Raisin in the Sun
  • I Am Not Your Negro
  • If Beale Street Could Talk

I'll suggest some more later..................