Sharrod Neasman

John Wetzel

Steven Means

Damontae Kazee

Matt Gono

Christian Blake

Jacob Tuioti-Mariner

Jaeden Graham

Allen, Carpenter, and Bailey should be absolute cuts.. Nobody should be able to vouch for them at this point. I wouldn't mind keeping Davison but if we cut ties I'm not mad. FBs are interchangeable if you put the effort (draft/UFA) into it so I wouldn't be mad about Smith. Senat is dead to me at this point. 

As far as the UFA go: I would love to resign Neal if Pees can infact use him in his defense (which i think any good Defensive coordinator can when he's healthy). Reports lead me to belive Mack will be gone because I could see SF offering him a good deal. If not, bring him back by all means. Wreh-Wilson would be a solid veteran CB as he has been for us. Matt Gono would be a solid backup at G/T while still having upside. Beyond that.. Neasman, Wetzel, Means, Tuioti-Mariner, and Blake would be solid depth but aren't guys we absolute need to resign.

If we can restructure Matt, Grady, Julio, and/or Matthews then that would certainly help. 

Bottom line is if Fontenot does what hopefully he's been groomed for, then we should have some money left over for a decent FA class: Marcus Williams, Anthony Harris, Matthew Judon, Carl Lawson, Ronald Darby, Xavier Rhodes, Brandon Scherff, Joe Tbuney, etc. Id love a veteran OL and CB while addressing the rest in the draft but I'm open for anything that helps this team get back to competing. 

12 minutes ago, Foo Falcons said:

All likelihood cuts:

Ricardo Allen

James Carpenter

Allen Bailey

After that:

Deadrin Senat?

Tyler Davison?

Keith Smith?

Who do we resign?:

Alex Mack

Keanu Neal

Blidi Wreh-Wilson

Todd Gurley

Charles Harris

Brian Hill

Luke Stocker

Darqueze Dennard 

Sharrod Neasman

John Wetzel

Steven Means

Damontae Kazee

Matt Gono

Christian Blake

Jacob Tuioti-Mariner

Jaeden Graham

Allen, Carpenter, and Bailey should be absolute cuts.. Nobody should be able to vouch for them at this point. I wouldn't mind keeping Davison but if we cut ties I'm not mad. FBs are interchangeable if you put the effort (draft/UFA) into it so I wouldn't be mad about Smith. Senat is dead to me at this point. 

As far as the UFA go: I would love to resign Neal if Pees can infact use him in his defense (which i think any good Defensive coordinator can when he's healthy). Reports lead me to belive Mack will be gone because I could see SF offering him a good deal. If not, bring him back by all means. Wreh-Wilson would be a solid veteran CB as he has been for us. Matt Gono would be a solid backup at G/T while still having upside. Beyond that.. Neasman, Wetzel, Means, Tuioti-Mariner, and Blake would be solid depth but aren't guys we absolute need to resign.

If we can restructure Matt, Grady, Julio, and/or Matthews then that would certainly help. 

Bottom line is if Fontenot does what hopefully he's been groomed for, then we should have some money left over for a decent FA class: Marcus Williams, Anthony Harris, Matthew Judon, Carl Lawson, Ronald Darby, Xavier Rhodes, Brandon Scherff, Joe Tbuney, etc. Id love a veteran OL and CB while addressing the rest in the draft but I'm open for anything that helps this team get back to competing. 

Before any cuts are made, at all, the Falcons are already having 21 roster cuts to fill.    Allen, Bailey and Carpenter are the favorites to be cut to save salary cap space.    Before cutting any more players you'd better have a pretty good idea how you are going to replace them.   Falcons only have 9 draft picks.   To fill 24 roster spots.  Clearly, any other roster cuts need to be very carefully considered.

There is ample evidence that last years' team was poorly coached.   Our offensive and defensive schemes stunk.  Players were miscast and misused all over the place.   Some players like Blake, Senat, Ollisson and Graham were barely used at all.   Seems to me our misused and unused players may respond to better schemes, coaching, etc.  Cut players to save cap space, sure..... but other players already under contract need to be given a chance.

33 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Before any cuts are made, at all, the Falcons are already having 21 roster cuts to fill.    Allen, Bailey and Carpenter are the favorites to be cut to save salary cap space.    Before cutting any more players you'd better have a pretty good idea how you are going to replace them.   Falcons only have 9 draft picks.   To fill 24 roster spots.  Clearly, any other roster cuts need to be very carefully considered.

There is ample evidence that last years' team was poorly coached.   Our offensive and defensive schemes stunk.  Players were miscast and misused all over the place.   Some players like Blake, Senat, Ollisson and Graham were barely used at all.   Seems to me our misused and unused players may respond to better schemes, coaching, etc.  Cut players to save cap space, sure..... but other players already under contract need to be given a chance.

You are quite right. We may have to sign Tom Tupa to be our backup qb and punter to cut corners

2 hours ago, egoprime II said:

I'm sure they will be. If they're under contract they aren't costing much other than the big 5 we're aware of, and they'll be staying because of all the FAs we do have (like you said).

6 hours ago, Jesus said:

You think Keith Smith, on the way out, tried to open the door for Gurley but couldn't quite get it, and then just walked into Smith's butt and fell down?

You must be Keith Smith's Brother. This MF is terrible. The good he showed was catching passes in those last few games. As far as lead blocking, he's garbage.

5 hours ago, egoprime II said:

This is kinda why some people are suggesting that we trade Ryan and Julio. Check the offers, and make a move. People think you hate Ryan when you make those comments. How do you build depth when you're cutting depth to deal with their debt?

I really hope we bring back Means and T-Mariner. They would be solid depth at least. They played really well down the stretch.

I would also be in favor of bringing back Neal if he is affordable. Regardless we need to fill both safety spots. I think we sign one and draft one. Neal and Marcus Williams would be nice, or if we go draft I could live w Neal and Moehrig. 

we may as well just give BWW a multi year deal, he has earned it. I think he lead the team in INTs in his limited action this year.

whatever happens, please don’t resign Stocker again. 😂 

I don't want to see old guys extended. Cap hel is a reality. You can keep restructuring but the wall will come. People like to point to NO and Brees but very soon they will be paying a big cap hit to a guy not playing anymore. I prefer that our new regime avoid doing the same to Falcons.

Ryan is declining Julio can't stay on the field and there are about 20 holes to fill between starters and depth. AB and Mckay said they don't want any more losing seasons but over investing in the short-term to try to win 7-9 games next year is a mistake. I hope that the new regime is smart enough to see that or their first yeat could doom their long-term.

I think that the smart play is to do a soft rebuild. Because of Ryan and JJ cap implications there isn't much choice. Mortgaging future cap in a desperate bid to win next year would be stupid though.

Build the team for a couple of years and set up for a run with a deep team. Ryan and JJ will be long gone before the next great Falcons team is ready to compete. Over investing in a futile present will only delay and hamper the building of the next Falcon's run

10 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

Sign Scherff, Marcus Williams, and Brian Poole in FA.

From your "do we re-sign list", sign Harris, Dennard, Means, Gono, and Jacob T-M.

Restructure Grady and Matthews only.. I really don't want to add more years to MR2 and Julio's contract if at all possible

Think this is actually realistic. 1000% agree on not adding any time to Ryan or Jones. Dennard would work as well if Poole is not and option.

1 hour ago, tbhawksfan said:

I don't want to see old guys extended. Cap hel is a reality. You can keep restructuring but the wall will come. People like to point to NO and Brees but very soon they will be paying a big cap hit to a guy not playing anymore. I prefer that our new regime avoid doing the same to Falcons.

Ryan is declining Julio can't stay on the field and there are about 20 holes to fill between starters and depth. AB and Mckay said they don't want any more losing seasons but over investing in the short-term to try to win 7-9 games next year is a mistake. I hope that the new regime is smart enough to see that or their first yeat could doom their long-term.

I think that the smart play is to do a soft rebuild. Because of Ryan and JJ cap implications there isn't much choice. Mortgaging future cap in a desperate bid to win next year would be stupid though.

Build the team for a couple of years and set up for a run with a deep team. Ryan and JJ will be long gone before the next great Falcons team is ready to compete. Over investing in a futile present will only delay and hamper the building of the next Falcon's run

Well said. You will be swarmed by the masses, but your point was strong and I happen to feel the exact same way(many do actually). Others believe we are a contender now, top 5 talented roster still(lol), and the past 3 seasons were just an illusion because of coaching. I played a high enough level of sports to know there is some definite merit to the coaching for sure, just nowhere near that destructive as some say. Not like a locker room revolt, this was Coach "Bro" and the same posters that wanted that "continuity back" are the same ones now blaming him for literally everything. So we will see when a rookie comes in and we will see what's coaching and what's just plain old terrible talent. Although, some will continue to blame the coaches if/when we suck again next year and refuse to ever blame the players. Regardless, neither side knows anything right now, so it's simply a point for good debate...but it will get personal.

Trying to placate an 81 year owner, that has frankly been way off in most of his football decisions, or rather decisions that he "most likely" had involvement in.

Has Blank been involved in a good football decision in years?  PSL's, coaches, Koetter?, that mall we play in that is like playing an away game, Rick McKay, and his "Falcons for Life" crap.

Blank the man, and the philanthropy work is off the charts and would never even dream of being able to do what he has done for others. That is not the point, which I am 100% sure people will blur into the question.

This is strictly about his football organization decisions.

Edited by PointSwayzee

9 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Agreed. Beyond the well known three that should be cut, there's not many guys that don't deserve a shot in an improved scheme. Guys like Keith Smith and Deadrin Senat to me are expendable, but Davison could continue to be a solid NT and maybe even improved under Pees. I know its gonna be a tall task filling out all these roster spots but its comforting knowing we have Fontenot who was the best guy available to do that.

10 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

Sign Scherff, Marcus Williams, and Brian Poole in FA.

From your "do we re-sign list", sign Harris, Dennard, Means, Gono, and Jacob T-M. 

Restructure Grady and Matthews only.. I really don't want to add more years to MR2 and Julio's contract if at all possible

I figured with Ryan and Julio we could move some money around, maybe add another year if its team friendly but definitely would rather not. Matthews and Jarrett are more realistic for sure to add a year or two.

If we managed that FA class then I think we'd have a lotta happy people around here.

All likelihood cuts:

Ricardo Allen- maybe (dangerously thin at S)

James Carpenter-probable

Allen Bailey-probable 

After that:

Deadrin Senat?  Needs further assessment

Tyler Davison? Depth, probable keep.

Keith Smith? Can be upgraded 

Who do we resign?:

Alex Mack- doubtful

Keanu Neal- strong candidate

Blidi Wreh-Wilson - quality depth/ST

Todd Gurley-no

Charles Harris-depth signing

Brian Hill-no

Luke Stocker- toss up

Darqueze Dennard-like to see it, probably no

Sharrod Neasman- depth

John Wetzel- depth

Steven Means - depth

Damontae Kazee- no

Matt Gono - probable

Christian Blake - needs further assessment

Jacob Tuioti-Mariner- depth

Jaeden Graham- needs further assessment

All opinions, based on the fact the roster would be half empty.  I don't know the new thought processes of the coaches or front office, but, retaining more is a near term fix.

29 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

All likelihood cuts:

Ricardo Allen- maybe (dangerously thin at S)

James Carpenter-probable

Allen Bailey-probable 

After that:

Deadrin Senat?  Needs further assessment

Tyler Davison? Depth, probable keep.

Keith Smith? Can be upgraded 

Who do we resign?:

Alex Mack- doubtful

Keanu Neal- strong candidate

Blidi Wreh-Wilson - quality depth/ST

Todd Gurley-no

Charles Harris-depth signing

Brian Hill-no

Luke Stocker- toss up

Darqueze Dennard-like to see it, probably no

Sharrod Neasman- depth

John Wetzel- depth

Steven Means - depth

Damontae Kazee- no

Matt Gono - probable

Christian Blake - needs further assessment

Jacob Tuioti-Mariner- depth

Jaeden Graham- needs further assessment

All opinions, based on the fact the roster would be half empty.  I don't know the new thought processes of the coaches or front office, but, retaining more is a near term fix.

I pretty much agree everything you said. Allen though has to go. Id rather move forward with a rookie or two battling it out with Hawkins and use that money elsewhere. Neal I'd definitely like in the fold as well.

2 hours ago, tbhawksfan said:

I agree with this.

I just don’t see this team contending for a SB any time soon. We have too many holes, and Ryan and Julio’s contracts are crushing our cap. I can see us winning more games and being competitive next year because we have a very favourable schedule - but we aren’t going to be a threat to win a title.

For me, 2021 is about rebuilding for the future. We can’t afford to move on from Matt and Julio, so we need to take the pain in 2021 so that we can clean house next year if we wish to do so. In the meantime, focus on building a foundation for 2022 and beyond. 

6 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

This is kinda why some people are suggesting that we trade Ryan and Julio. Check the offers, and make a move. People think you hate Ryan when you make those comments. How do you build depth when you're cutting depth to deal with their debt?

Good teams, like the Steelers, build depth by finding good young players, then developing them.   Falcons have too many failures in that department, both talent and coaching wise.   As a result, the Falcons have been relying on 'one-year-rental-vets', out of a desire..... need?.... to win, -now-.   That's how you end up with the oldest roster in the league.   Instead of accepting some of the growing pains associated with young players.  

Ryan and Julio's debt now, was created by all these restructures TD did so he could sign expensive FAs..... both to keep our good players like Grady and Debo, which is good.... but also to sign FA duds like Carpenter, Brown, Gurley and Fowler. whose signings and other FA duds helped to cost TD his job.   Signing FAs like Carpenter, Brown, Gurley, Fowler, Alex Mack, and others, were seen as necessary, in order to make up for the lack of development of young players.

It becomes a viscious cycle.....

2 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Good teams, like the Steelers, build depth by finding good young players, then developing them.   Falcons have too many failures in that department, both talent and coaching wise.   As a result, the Falcons have been relying on 'one-year-rental-vets', out of a desire..... need?.... to win, -now-.   That's how you end up with the oldest roster in the league.   Instead of accepting some of the growing pains associated with young players.  

Ryan and Julio's debt now, was created by all these restructures TD did so he could sign expensive FAs..... both to keep our good players like Grady and Debo, which is good.... but also to sign FA duds like Carpenter, Brown, Gurley and Fowler. whose signings and other FA duds helped to cost TD his job.   Signing FAs like Carpenter, Brown, Gurley, Fowler, Alex Mack, and others, were seen as necessary, in order to make up for the lack of development of young players.

It becomes a viscious cycle.....

Yep. We got into making out offense fancy, when it was efficient and balanced with Turner. We turned Matt Ryan into Drew Brees, meaning we would be a pass happy offense. It worked fine when we had Tony Gonzalez, because his skill set and experience made everyone around him better. That's when Roddy used the phrase "Pick Your Poison". 

One thing we must understand as an organization is, The difference between medicine and poison is the dosage.