Look What I Found - Salary Cap Calculator

5 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

I understand that, just don't think a 36 year old QB with 3 years remaining need to be extended. Again, I like Matt Ryan, I respect him as a player and person(**** we went to the same grade and HS even, my parents are friends with his parents).

Just ready for a change, and not going to apologize about. If it happens and I am dead wrong, I can and will admit I was wrong.

About time you admit it. Was that hard? 

3 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

I don't care when it's from. I know I should not be the GM because, I could not come up with anything to get under the cap in 2021. I had it in the black for a minute but had half the team cut..lol.

But TF came from the Saints so we are apparently flush wish cap room, just need to be creative.

I played with it for about 20 minutes, resturcturing several contracts, resigning several of our FAs, and had about $5.6 mil in cap space...don't really have a clue how I did it, but I did...lol

1 hour ago, PointSwayzee said:

Keep kicking it down the line...

I simply hate it. I think it is a bad football decision. 

What's the plan if this team goes below .500 for the 4th straight year or you going to tell me that this is a good team and top 5 roster like some others around here? At least you know you extended the old QB and very average LT, right!

Coach Bro, who many called a defensive genius and the best coach the Falcons have EVER had, was the sole reason that this team has suck 3 straight years and a rookie HC is coming in and make this a contender next year. All I remember reading is last season we just killed it. Quinn was back and team rallied around him. TD killed it in the draft and free agency....best offseason EVER was brought up many times(the words are till easily found)

But's lets just keep running it back. This is why I want a QB so badly, and I can admit that may be for better it worse. Because it's a change from what has repeatedly failed now year, after year, after year. 

That being said, I absolutely think Matt Ryan should be the QB in 2021. I just think we need his successor on the roster and being the #2 heading into next season.

A rookie playing next year, say a Surtain or Sewell, versus a Fields or Wilson sitting on the bench...is not the difference in this team going to the SB. Let's worry about getting near .500

I won't be mad or surprised if they take a QB at any point along the way. We still need a backup too. 

2 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Awesome...extend Ryan and Matthews. I see someone else that absolutely should not be the GM either. Bring Neal, and his killer ball skillz back as well, and I'm all in with your offseason.

What id AS and TF love one of these QB's? You think they are going to extend Ryan or the very average and very well paid Jake Matthews. If Ryan is not extended before the start of free agency...does that mean we are drafting a QB??

Nope, but I betcha neither Ryan nor Matthews is extended. Make zero sense.

Umm considering i have been one of the driving forces of drafting a Justin Fields or Wilson im not sure what you are getting at my guy :)     I have no problem bringing in a QB to replace Ryan if thats their choice to do so but thiers no proof thats their choice or what their going to do.   If they don't do that then their choice was Ryan and at that point you probably should extend him a year to get some cap relief to build more around him. 

Also it's not like we would be extending them a ton it would only be 1 year each for some cap relief now to help during the lower cap season we could still cut them later on if we chose to when the cap maximum is much higher than it is now after covid times.   

Now with that said i like Ryan and matthews a **** OF ALOT more than you do it seems and don't see either of them as the problem that much as more so i think Koetter was straight pure garbage as an OC.    So im honestly fine either way with drafting a Qb or going with Ryan for another 3 to 5 years.   The new Gm really can't upset me with either choice as their both viable and good choices to make what would piss me off is taking a player like Pitts at TE or Lance at QB at 4.   Over much more needed positions or imo better players and i like Pitts as a player i just think TE is way down the list of needs.  Lance i don't view as a top 15 QB though so for me it's value on him.

If we can get any of  Lawrence, Sewell, Fields, Wilson, Parsons, or Surtain at 4 i think we did extremely well.  I would trade down for Surtain if possible 1st though.   I wouldn't want any of the WR's there but i would take them over Pitts as i feel they are better players than he is. 

9 hours ago, Vandy said:

To me, it always comes back down to deciding if team is in ‘win now’ mode vs ‘blow it all up and start over from scratch’ mode. 

Just my opinion but I think there's 0 chance we're in blow it up mode.

8 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Believe that is going to be key this offseason, Ryan gonna have to take less like Brees has.

Makes you wonder what kind of under the table deals are made... I dont know groceries from Publix rest of your life? Free cable and power? 

Brees hasn't taken less, he's just taken it later.

8 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Just my opinion but I think there's 0 chance we're in blow it up mode.

Brees hasn't taken less, he's just taken it later.

Exactly.  All they did was manipulate how his salary, which did not change, effects their cap.  Headline reading people see "Drew takes a pay cut" but fail to read the rest.  Matt has basically taken pay cuts if we want to be completely crazy.

We'll probably go ahead and extend Jarrett to get ahead of the curve. Do some restructuring of Matt's contract and cut Allen, Carpenter, Bailey and a few other guys. May end up converting some of Jakes money too. Shouldn't be overly difficult to get down to somewhere around $170M in total liabilities.

Edited by Snafu

I have always admitted that I don't know anything about how the cap works and don't claim to act like I'm a guru and know it all like so many here claim to do when they're screaming "Falcons have no money, salary cap heIl, blah, blah, blah."

Now that being said, I took a stab at this thing. I restructured Ryan, Julio and Matthews. I didn't extend any of them. Just restructured. I extended Calvin Ridley. I cut Ricardo Allen, James Carpenter, Allen Bailey, Tyeler Davison, Keith Smith and Deadrin Senat.

All those moves got the Falcons to $18.9M under the cap while not dramatically hurting the 2022 cap. I still have $50M in cap room for 2022.