PFF: Biggest Draft Mistake For Each Team in the Past 5 Years

Summerhill

Letting the o line deteriorate to point where we felt we needed to get both lindstrom and mcgary was the mistake. Lindstrom looks to be on cusp of becoming a top tier guard and mcgary has had streaks of success ( imagine  if cam Jordan didn’t have his number).  I would take either over drafting another Beasley or takk

18 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Yeah I don't agree with this. Linemen aren't typically short-term fixes but more long-term investments. Next year will be the true litmus test for McGary and Lindstrom in a new offense and having to step up with Mack no longer here. In my opinion, they're going to look like pro bowlers under Smith.

Takk has got to be the worst draft mistake we made. 

Do you remember this guy?!?

E4B89C29-8980-4AF0-8D5E-39A86B5175AC.jpeg

42 minutes ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

Do you remember this guy?!?

E4B89C29-8980-4AF0-8D5E-39A86B5175AC.jpeg

I blame Patrick Kerney for that massive reach. Once he screwed the Falcons, McKay panicked. I don’t even think the Falcons had a formal meeting w JA98 before drafting him. Hated that pick before Goodell even finished announcing it.

That said, the article said past 5 years.

28 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Paying Brown and Carpenter was a worse mistake than drafting McGary and Lindstrom.

This.  McGary had a better year pass blocking than most give him credit for.  Run blocking was atrocious across the line.  Scheme, poor coaching, zero adapting to change played more a factor in the poor run blocking.  Great point bro.

7 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I blame Patrick Kerney for that massive reach. Once he screwed the Falcons, McKay panicked. I don’t even think the Falcons had a formal meeting w JA98 before drafting him. Hated that pick before Goodell even finished announcing it.

Ohh okay cool! I missed that part. 

The problem was, we spent our main money on the interior OL too. It was a major need, but adding 2 significant FA and then drafting 2 more was excessive in that it resulted in us neglecting other needs.

The front office should have been able to address our needs with our making that quite that level of investment. 

21 hours ago, Summerhill said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-biggest-draft-mistake-for-each-team-in-the-past-5-years 

I don't totally disagree with this but don't think the explanation made the greatest case for it. I think the better explanation for why this was a mistake is because the Falcons went all out to pick Lindstrom and McGary in the 1st while some really good offensive linemen went well into the 2nd round who don't seem any worse. 

I understand why we did it but don’t agree with it. One of my biggest issues with those picks is I didn’t believe they were the BPA at a position of need. I was more ok with Lindstrom than McGary. McGary felt like a desperation move to me. Lindstrom has been good and McGary has been average to above average. All in all, not bad picks. 

I can't help but think that Lindstrom and McGary were only picked for this article because of the whole idea of them being "reaches". They even say that they were considered reaches around the NFL, even though we heard reports that Minnesota was going to pick Lindstrom a couple picks after us, and McGary was likely going to be picked up by New England if we didn't trade up for him. 

I don't buy into this at all. Lindstrom will turn out to be the best player on our OL and McGary has shown potential. Now where's takk???

20 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Investing in either line is never a mistake. 

Well, it's a mistake if you pick bums, but I don't think that's the case, definitely not with Lindstrom and maybe not with McGary. Next year we'll be able to evaluate these guys in the Smith scheme and get a much better idea of what they can do on our team moving forward, and my expectation is much improved play from everyone including Jake. 

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Paying Brown and Carpenter was a worse mistake than drafting McGary and Lindstrom.

Absolutely moronic. Money flushed down the toilet, two wasted roster spots. Pathetic. If one needed any evidence the FO was desperate and dysfunctional, bringing in Brown and Carpenter was solid proof.

5 hours ago, Wolfensheim said:

I can't help but think that Lindstrom and McGary were only picked for this article because of the whole idea of them being "reaches". They even say that they were considered reaches around the NFL, even though we heard reports that Minnesota was going to pick Lindstrom a couple picks after us, and McGary was likely going to be picked up by New England if we didn't trade up for him. 

I don't buy into this at all. Lindstrom will turn out to be the best player on our OL and McGary has shown potential. Now where's takk???

I’m not sure the author is even commenting on the abilities off the two. I think he is pretty simplistically saying the Falcons OL stunk, they used two 1st round picks to try and fix it, and now their OL is mediocre to show that it wasn’t worth it. 

7 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

I argue if we had won the super bowl TJ would have been taken as the obvious falcon locker room fit. TD wanted a guy with an edge after watching his team pray time would run out. I swear he thought he was drafting Marshawn like swagger.