PFF: Biggest Draft Mistake For Each Team in the Past 5 Years

ATLANTA FALCONS: OFFENSIVE LINE DESPERATION IN 2019

The time to address offensive line needs is always, always, always before issues pop up. Forcing yourself into starting rookies along the offensive line can backfire mightily. The Falcons learned that the hard way when they “reached” on two first-round linemen by pretty much every major media evaluation (including ours). They left themselves no choice in the matter, though. As such, they’ve ranked 25th and 22nd the past two seasons in team pass-protection grade.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-biggest-draft-mistake-for-each-team-in-the-past-5-years 

I don't totally disagree with this but don't think the explanation made the greatest case for it. I think the better explanation for why this was a mistake is because the Falcons went all out to pick Lindstrom and McGary in the 1st while some really good offensive linemen went well into the 2nd round who don't seem any worse. 

6 minutes ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

Wow....I came in thinking Tak or Vic....But I guess Vic is also longer than 5 years out.

It's pretty hard to argue anything is worse than pick McKinley over TJ Watt when they played the same position and were mocked to go at the same spot. 

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I thought for sure we were gonna go Brian Burns or Dexter Lawrence. That being said, Lindstrom is one of the best OGs in the NFL already and will likely be a rock on our O-Line for a decade.

The real mess-up was trading up for McGary.

The trade probably wasn't needed, but I still think he could pan out to be fine in Smith's system.

Yeah I don't agree with this. Linemen aren't typically short-term fixes but more long-term investments. Next year will be the true litmus test for McGary and Lindstrom in a new offense and having to step up with Mack no longer here. In my opinion, they're going to look like pro bowlers under Smith.

Takk has got to be the worst draft mistake we made. 

23 minutes ago, Rings said:

I think taking Lindstrom wasn’t a mistake, I guess if looking at positional value you could make that argument.  Trading up for McGary I can see for sure, but that was TD for you.  I also agree trading you for Takk could have made the list as well.

Takk had to be the worst.  And it's just sad.  Injured in college, essentially stayed hurt, never really learned how to play end and lived in anger and athleticism only.  A waste.

9 hours ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

Wow....I came in thinking Tak or Vic....But I guess Vic is also longer than 5 years out.

Takk over Watt maybe, but Vic at least gave us some glimmer of hope.

I think the OL bonanza was more of the correct logic for the premise of the article. Went OL heavy after signing two guards beforehand to decent money.

Lindstrom was worthy of his selection, but Mcgary might have been the avoided if we at least used the money on the guards to get our RT. That alone probably allows us to go with 2 other players by never trading up or bare minimum, take a different player after trading up.

Still don't think it was that big of a deal, but I see why they felt it was.

44 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Takk over Watt maybe, but Vic at least gave us some glimmer of hope.

I think the OL bonanza was more of the correct logic for the premise of the article. Went OL heavy after signing two guards beforehand to decent money.

Lindstrom was worthy of his selection, but Mcgary might have been the avoided if we at least used the money on the guards to get our RT. That alone probably allows us to go with 2 other players by never trading up or bare minimum, take a different player after trading up.

Still don't think it was that big of a deal, but I see why they felt it was.

Yeah, makes sense through that lens. Never understood the Carpenter/Brown signings.

2 hours ago, Jpg428gggg said:

I think Takk was the biggest mistake we made. I still have hope for our offensive line now that we have a coaching staff that understands how to get the most out of your players.

2017 draft in of itself was hands down our worst in recent years. Just bad.

Attacking the value of our 2019 draft because of Dirk being a bad fit for Atlanta is just an easy grab.

In 2017, we traded up for Takk then took Duke. Best of the rest? Brian Hill. That’s it. Harlow is barely hanging around as a scrub and Saubert is out of the league possibly. Maybe Takk produces if he wasn’t injury prone. Mentally weak tho. TJ was so obvious...

Lindstrom is on his way to being All Pro caliber. McGary improved year 2; again for stressful system under Dirk. TBD on Sheffield or Cominsky with new coaching staff but the OL should be fine with Smith. Still waiting on that franchise caliber DE..

2017 is the only draft we basically have almost no value remaining from; unless Hill goes off or Harlow suddenly does something.