What should Matt Ryan do this off-season to get back on track in 2021?

I remember in 2016 he did some things to improve his arm strength and had a personal training camp with his wide receivers in 2016, 2017 and 2018. 

With Matt Ryan turning 36 what can he do this off-season to make sure he's on top of his game in 2021? 

I know replacing Dirk Koetter with Arthur Smith is number 1. But how can Matt Ryan minimize the year 1 growing pains?

Edited by Falcons Fan MVP
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not read this forum😁.

Physically? Nothing more than usual. All this stuff about dwindling arm strength and athleticism is just selective perception bias because we're losing. He's physically as good as he's been since 2016

According to some here he doesn't need to do anything out of the ordinary because everything was on coaching last season.

Matt has always looked for some aspect of his game to improve every offseason. Aside from absorbing the new playbook, I’d guess if we are going to be PA heavy, he might want to devote a lot of time to the whip around and finding his guy fast and accurately. 

The plodding way Dirk ran his offenses was like watching grass grow. The speed at which plays develop should be the biggest change for all these guys. 

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I remember in 2016 he did some things to improve his arm strength and had a personal training camp with his wide receivers in 2016, 2017 and 2018. 

With Matt Ryan turning 36 what can he do this off-season to make sure he's on top of his game in 2021? 

I know replacing Dirk Koetter with Arthur Smith is number 1. But how can Matt Ryan minimize the year 1 growing pains?

take a pay cut

So we can sign

Peterson and JJ WATT.

And then build trenches.

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Ryan had been doing the same stuff from 2016. He still works with the same trainers in offseason in California. 
With AS taking over, the whole offense needs to show up early for off season around April to get in rythm. Also sit with Arthur Smith and get on the same page on how he sees the game, calls the plays. Why does he call plays in a certain way in certain situation and so on. 

Physically? Nothing more than usual. All this stuff about dwindling arm strength and athleticism is just selective perception bias because we're losing. He's physically as good as he's been since 2016, if not better. Ryan just needs to come prepared to step out of his comfort zone and adapt to whatever Smith wants to do with the offense.

I remember something in 2016 about Ryan having to tape his ankles in practice because of all the bootlegs Shanahan was running, and I vaguely remember it mentioned that he didn't like them because his back was turned away from the defense for too long. But it paid off on Sundays. Shanny challenged him to do something outside his comfort zone and it worked. I'd like to see a similar dynamic from Ryan and Smith this season.

1 minute ago, likeriver said:

Physically? Nothing more than usual. All this stuff about dwindling arm strength and athleticism is just selective perception bias because we're losing. He's physically as good as he's been since 2016, if not better. Ryan just needs to come prepared to step out of his comfort zone and adapt to whatever Smith wants to do with the offense.

I remember something in 2016 about Ryan having to tape his ankles in practice because of all the bootlegs Shanahan was running, and I vaguely remember it mentioned that he didn't like them because his back was turned away from the defense for too long. But it paid off on Sundays. Shanny challenged him to do something outside his comfort zone and it worked. I'd like to see a similar dynamic from Ryan and Smith this season.

Here it is:

"For the first time in his career, Ryan had to tape his ankles in practice because of all the bootlegs and rollouts. That's not who Ryan is as a player -- or should be. He functions best when in the pocket.

For that reason, I ripped Shanahan last season.

This season, he deserves praise. He has decided to cater his offense to Ryan, rather than the other way around."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/monday-musings-the-reason-behind-matt-ryans-turnaround-and-why-falcons-are-3-1/

I guess they're claiming the opposite, that Shanny catered to Ryan in 2016 and that's why they succeeded. But I'm skeptical. I wouldn't be surprised if Shanny stuck to his plan and Ryan just learned to adjust and became a better player for it.

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Lobby his coach for LG, Chase, Smith or Wadell and a run game. Maybe a DE to just get the offense more reps. 😁

Oh and Friermuth at TE.

29 minutes ago, likeriver said:

Here it is:

"For the first time in his career, Ryan had to tape his ankles in practice because of all the bootlegs and rollouts. That's not who Ryan is as a player -- or should be. He functions best when in the pocket.

For that reason, I ripped Shanahan last season.

This season, he deserves praise. He has decided to cater his offense to Ryan, rather than the other way around."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/monday-musings-the-reason-behind-matt-ryans-turnaround-and-why-falcons-are-3-1/

I guess they're claiming the opposite, that Shanny catered to Ryan in 2016 and that's why they succeeded. But I'm skeptical. I wouldn't be surprised if Shanny stuck to his plan and Ryan just learned to adjust and became a better player for it.

They are not claiming. It was widely reported. Point is 2015 KS was my way or highway. In 2016, they both got together and went through what each liked and stuck a middle ground. Life doesn’t have to be extremes. 

36 minutes ago, likeriver said:

Nice find and good post. A lot of QB’s do not like turning their back to the defense. I know Big Ben refused to do it and this is why the Steelers didn’t run a lot of play action.

Even though Ryan was not a fan of certain things in Shanny’s offense, he still saw the potential. I remember him making comments late in the 2015 season about how close they were to being great. I haven’t seen him make similar comments in a while which is telling. Ryan will never bash a coach but he was definitely not happy.

I am excited about Smith because he gets it. I have no doubt that he will turn our offense around and get us back in the playoffs.