Falcons mock draft analysis: Is drafting another offensive lineman a quick fix? - The Athletic

5 hours ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

I have gone back and forth over who we should take at pick 4.. I still think ideally we trade back with a QB desperate team and get a few more picks, but if we stay put I think the SAFEST pick, and the one that will likely have the biggest immediate  impact is Sewell.  I think, unless he is gone, Sewell has to be the pick.

If he is gone, all bets are off.  

Yep. If he does go at #3, I'm hoping we can trade down a few spots (maybe Denver, if they don't get Deshaun Watson...) and then take Slater or Darrishaw. But I want OL with that #1 pick.

I love the Sewell pick. Just had a thought 🤔 We are up against the cap and the highest paid positions are QB, LT, and DE/OLB. Although we could upgrade, we are good at QB and LT. We can’t afford to bring in another big name DE. We are taking at least one in the top 2 or 3 picks. I really want Greg Rousseau or Jaelan Phillips.

4 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Again, what makes you think that McGary can play guard. I am waiting with baited breath to hear the reasons that he will be an "upgrade" at the RG position. I am actually really looking forward to this.

He doesn’t have the long arms that you normally want from a tackle. Not great against speed rushers. His strength and style of play would work at RG. 

Historically when someone can’t cut it at tackle they are moved to guard. If we are ranking our line right now he’s close to the bottom as far as starters.

This whole musical chairs thing with the oline is ridiculous. Just grab Scherff in FA at guard and be done with it. He's 29 and highly rated (never graded below 72.5 pff in 6 years) at his position already. If it means not re-signing Mack or Neal, so be it. We have Hennessy and can get a very good safety in the 2nd round.

Edited by Mister pudding
12 minutes ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

He doesn’t have the long arms that you normally want from a tackle. Not great against speed rushers. His strength and style of play would work at RG. 

Historically when someone can’t cut it at tackle they are moved to guard. If we are ranking our line right now he’s close to the bottom as far as starters.

He is not a guard. Look back at the pre-draft scouting reports and you will see that they are pretty spot on. When a guy plays below average at one of the tackle positions, you know it's not like it used to be and just slide them to guard, then center...then off the roster.

Guards are now every bit as important as tackles, and not interchangeable players.

Like WR's and TE's...you want to start interchanging them to? I'm sure Ridley would work well lined up across at 245 LB with a full head of steam. 

1 hour ago, PointSwayzee said:

He is not a guard. Look back at the pre-draft scouting reports and you will see that they are pretty spot on. When a guy plays below average at one of the tackle positions, you know it's not like it used to be and just slide them to guard, then center...then off the roster.

Guards are now every bit as important as tackles, and not interchangeable players.

Like WR's and TE's...you want to start interchanging them to? I'm sure Ridley would work well lined up across at 245 LB with a full head of steam. 

Guards and Tackle are normally in the vicinity of size with each other. Why is it not like it used to be?

When have they ever put 200 lb WR at TE? 

Coaches talk about having versatile linemen all the time. I guess we are all crazy for thinking that. 🤦🏾‍♂️   

15 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

What on earth makes you believe that McGary can play guard?

What on earth makes you think he can't?.. I'll say this, he is a liability at right tackle against the quicker pass rushers, but he seemed to have the ability to get to the second level in run blocking so giving him a shot at guard cannot hurt.

9 minutes ago, vafalconfan said:

What on earth makes you think he can't?.. I'll say this, he is a liability at right tackle against the quicker pass rushers, but he seemed to have the ability to get to the second level in run blocking so giving him a shot at guard cannot hurt.

Why not take Lindstrom, as he is our best offensive lineman at this point and put him at RT, and then we are set at the tackles??

Because, it does not work like that. 

On 2/13/2021 at 11:30 AM, PointSwayzee said:

Why not take Lindstrom, as he is our best offensive lineman at this point and put him at RT, and then we are set at the tackles??

Because, it does not work like that. 

Your reply tells me you're new to this.. there are too many examples to list of teams moving under performing tackles inside to guard to not only solidify the line, but in some cases save their careers. McGary had trouble in college with speed rushers so this is not news. Watch some tape, do some research.