Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Ah ok. I guess this would be to say Sewell really could be our pick at 4. Personally, drafting OL is always a bit of a let down to me. All this hype and then "dang, a lineman?" Wah wah waaaah But, it could happen I guess.

Nah, I'm trying to be optimistic about anyone they pick, even Wilson or Fields if they go that route, even though I'm on the trade down team.

Not a fan of Fields. Wilson I’m on the fence about. For me Sewell is BPA at that point. I doubt we’ll resign Matthews when his contract is up. This allows us to have his back up ready.

This also gives us the flexibility to trade him and get additional picks if we can trade him before his contract ends. So we’ll have Sewell and additional picks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all the talk about drafting Sewell and we can't move a player to OG because he's 6'6" I want to just debunk that myth.  I just went through the depth chart of every AFC team. I stopped with

Just because they have them doesn’t mean those guards are good.

It depends on the build, you want guys who can hunker down the interior. Low center of gravity.

I don't think height is the issue per se.  My experience was that although I was big, most guards had a morphology different from me.  I'm built like McGary.  Tall, on the lean side in comparison to a more thick, lower center of gravity traditional guard.  

A tackle can make it at guard, and height isn't necessarily a detriment.  But, great guards are usually naturals at the position.  I guess each case has to be weighed separately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Garrett Reynolds. Maybe the worst guard I've seen play for us. lol

I remember PFF ranked him extremely highly while he got trashed every game. He's what made me realize how terrible they are at evaluating players.

Reynolds was great in 2012 before he went on IR. Not sure about PFF but IIRC he was the only guard in NFL with out QB Pressure or sack before he went on IR.  The disaster was obvious in 2013 camp. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I don't think height is the issue per se.  My experience was that although I was big, most guards had a morphology different from me.  I'm built like McGary.  Tall, on the lean side in comparison to a more thick, lower center of gravity traditional guard.  

A tackle can make it at guard, and height isn't necessarily a detriment.  But, great guards are usually naturals at the position.  I guess each case has to be weighed separately.

Are you saying you got a big a s s?

Oh no. You're just the opposite. But big booty is better is what you're saying, right? Kinda like the QB thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Not a fan of Fields. Wilson I’m on the fence about. For me Sewell is BPA at that point. I doubt we’ll resign Matthews when his contract is up. This allows us to have his back up ready.

This also gives us the flexibility to trade him and get additional picks if we can trade him before his contract ends. So we’ll have Sewell and additional picks. 

I'm on the fence with both Fields and Wilson.

And I agree about the flexibility at LT if we do draft Sewell. But it's so anticlimactic to draft OL. I'm all about the climax. 🤣🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

It’s not a myth, usually low Center of gravity is important for OG and interior lineman. They face strong Defensive interior guys unlike the lighter, faster more athletic Edge guys. just coz some one plays a tackle doesn’t make them a guard. 
There are always exceptions in sports. Bolt is close to 6-5. Literally not many sprinters over 6 foot didn’t anything in 100 or 200 m sprints. Ideal height of sprinter is 5-10. That said Bolt worked very hard in his start phase to compensate the height disadvantage.
 

Bolt start was still slow. His height just didn’t allow for a smooth pop up like a Maurice Greene or Micheal Johnson. But once he got to 40 meters it was a wrap

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Bolt start was still slow. His height just didn’t allow for a smooth pop up like a Maurice Greene or Micheal Johnson. But once he got to 40 meters it was a wrap

Sure. It wasn’t the fastest but just enough to stay with these guys. Like I said in another post, he had to work on his core to compensate that disadvantage. He doesn’t need to be fastest to 40, he just had to stay before he took off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Sure. It wasn’t the fastest but just enough to stay with these guys. Like I said in another post, he had to work on his core to compensate that disadvantage. He doesn’t need to be fastest to 40, he just had to stay before he took off.

I agree with you. I was just saying his start up was still slow because his pop up. He was usually the last out the blocks. I’m a former sprinter so I like talking about those things lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I think it's tough to generalize in either direction, but in general you want your guards and centers to be shorter.

It is all relative though.  Jake Matthews is a prototype tackle at towering 6'6".  Alex Mack is a probable HOF center at a stubby 6'5".

towering 6'6" and stubby 6'5". so now one inch makes a giant

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, celtiksage said:

With all the talk about drafting Sewell and we can't move a player to OG because he's 6'6" I want to just debunk that myth. 

I just went through the depth chart of every AFC team. I stopped with maybe 2 teams that I didn't check.

And every team except Cleveland has an OG that is 6'5" or above. One was 6'8" and another 6'9". Most teams had 2 OG and/or centers that were 6'5"+.

So that's no longer a debate whatsoever.

Anyway.... carry on. 😁

 

6'6 is the cap, which has been the narrative since day 1 on here. I think 6'4-6'5 is the sweet spot and you will be hard pressed to find a good one even at 6'6.

It's extremely rare to find a guard that is 6'7+, Let alone a good one. McGary measured at 6'7 at the combine so moving him to OG is likely not going to happen. Leverage is a dangerous thing. Sewell is right on that cap at 6'6. Matthews is 6'5. Our best bet would be to move Matthews to LG and have Sewell at LT.

Best OGs in the NFL Today
Nelson 6'5
Martin 6'4
Marpet 6'4
Thuney 6'5
Decastro 6'5
Bitonio 6'4
Shereff 6'5
Brooks 6'5

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Not a fan of Fields. Wilson I’m on the fence about. For me Sewell is BPA at that point. I doubt we’ll resign Matthews when his contract is up. This allows us to have his back up ready.

This also gives us the flexibility to trade him and get additional picks if we can trade him before his contract ends. So we’ll have Sewell and additional picks. 

Not a fan of Fields?!??!??! Are you serious? There are at least 3 possibly 4 posters here that personally guarantee his HOF status!

/Purple

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, etherdome said:

If we end up drafting Sewell, we should put him at OT, not OG.  He is one of the top prospects because he has the ideal skills to be an OT.

Why would anyone want to play him  at OG?

then what should we do then if we draft him someone has to be on their way out cuz it would be braindead to try and experiment with putting one of our 2 two Tackles at Guard

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Day1 said:

towering 6'6" and stubby 6'5". so now one inch makes a giant

You’re not looking at what he’s saying Jake is a tall lean 6’6

Jake_Matthews_2014.jpg
 

And Alex Mack is thicker 

dge191229206-atl-at-tb.jpg?fit=1000,800&

he just has the build for inside

Its less about height and more about body type (how that weight is spread out)

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

6'6 is the cap, which has been the narrative since day 1 on here. I think 6'4-6'5 is the sweet spot and you will be hard pressed to find a good one even at 6'6.

It's extremely rare to find a guard that is 6'7+, Let alone a good one. McGary measured at 6'7 at the combine. Leverage is a dangerous thing.

Best OGs in the NFL Today
Nelson 6'5
Martin 6'4
Marpet 6'4
Thuney 6'5
Decastro 6'5
Bitonio 6'4
Shereff 6'5
Brooks 6'5

so then, if Sewell is the pick, what then?  Move JM inside to LG?  
Or no go on OL at 1?

Keep in mind, Slater & Davis are both 6'4" but although Wyatt Davis is an awesome beast, he's not as scheme diverse as Slater & what I am reading is RG only for some reason.  Slater inside has pro bowl written all over him inside.  

All these choices!  It's magically delicious!

Seems to me that this is a huge OL class with like 7 or 8 guys with 1st round grades & like 5 more soon after in rd 2. So clearly some of these guys will drop simply due to the fact that G's tend to drop anyways to a degree & that the overall talent pool this year is darn good across the board.  My guess is that great value will be found all the way down the board at OL.  

So who knows what we do if Sewell is there for the taking??????????????

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

so then, if Sewell is the pick, what then?  Move JM inside to LG?  
Or no go on OL at 1?

Keep in mind, Slater & Davis are both 6'4" but although Wyatt Davis is an awesome beast, he's not as scheme diverse as Slater & what I am reading is RG only for some reason.  Slater inside has pro bowl written all over him inside.  

All these choices!  It's magically delicious!

Seems to me that this is a huge OL class with like 7 or 8 guys with 1st round grades & like 5 more soon after in rd 2. So clearly some of these guys will drop simply due to the fact that G's tend to drop anyways to a degree & that the overall talent pool this year is darn good across the board.  My guess is that great value will be found all the way down the board at OL.  

So who knows what we do if Sewell is there for the taking??????????????

If you take Sewell I think you have to move Matthews to LG. If you take Slater you just plug him in at LG without any movement needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...