New\Old Slogan: "Impose Our Will"

egoprime II

16 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

The impose the will changed to Finesse and explosive after the GB playoff disaster. DQ should have had never lose back to back games rule Smitty had for first 5 years. 

Question:   Whose idea was it to get more explosive, fire an OffCoord who was doing a good job, and make the Julio trade, instead of building the defense?   TD gets the blame, he -did- make the 'get more explosive' statement.... but was it his idea or AB's?   We may never know.... From then on I questioned what Dimitroff was doing.

So now the Falcons come full circle.   HC named Smith who believes in running the ball.

Just now, egoprime II said:

Question:   Whose idea was it to get more explosive, fire an OffCoord who was doing a good job, and make the Julio trade, instead of building the defense?   TD gets the blame, he -did- make the 'get more explosive' statement.... but was it his idea or AB's?   We may never know.... From then on I questioned what Dimitroff was doing.

So now the Falcons come full circle.   HC named Smith who believes in running the ball.

Read MS book. Fact was Matt Ryan outgrew MM offense. It was time for a change. Explosive, it just appears came from TD snd AB. Smitty didn’t blame on JJ trade though, he said instead of following process focused on building team. They went on thinking we are this player or that player away. In the hindsight TD screwed up replacing players he inherited before 2008.

15 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Read MS book. Fact was Matt Ryan outgrew MM offense. It was time for a change. Explosive, it just appears came from TD snd AB. Smitty didn’t blame on JJ trade though, he said instead of following process focused on building team. They went on thinking we are this player or that player away. In the hindsight TD screwed up replacing players he inherited before 2008.

Thanks for that from the MS book, i need to get that......   the Julio trade felt exactly like you said, a one-player-away tradeup.

Regarding the bolded, our 2013 squad only had four pre-TD holdovers.   My gosh, what a talentless, soft, unmotivated mess that team was!   After that season, if you had told me Dimitroff was going to last  -seven more years- ..... I'd have bet real money on that -not- happening.

Edited by egoprime II

7 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Thanks for that from the MS book, i need to get that......   the Julio trade felt exactly like you said, a one-player-away tradeup.

Regarding the bolded, our 2013 squad only had four pre-TD holdovers.   My gosh, what a talentless, soft, unmotivated mess that team was!   After that season, if you had told me Dimitroff was going to last  -seven more years- ..... I'd have bet real money on that -not- happening.

Just to clarify, the one player away thinking was after 2012. Instead of building team, they just were swapping pieces. 

2 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Don't mean to derail your thread but I'm kinda tired of slogans.

Slogans are not really for fans, they are for teams, regardless of profession.   

Slogans are necessary, here's why;   they convey a concept of many words, and condenses that concept into a short catchphrase.   It helps individuals focus on a preconceived, and pre-agreed to, group-goal.   Everyone on the team has to buy in or the slogan doesn't work.

Which is why "Embrace the Suck' didn't work.   Old players didn't buy into it, new players just said "whatever", because they didn't experience the Super Bowl loss.

'Embrace the Suck' looked backwards.  'Impose our Will',  'Commitment to Excellence', 'Just Win Baby'.... those look forwards.

6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Just to clarify, the one player away thinking was after 2012. Instead of building team, they just were swapping pieces. 

I thought it started when we drafted Julio in 2011?  Wasn't Julio the 'one player we needed'?

Edited by egoprime II

30 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Koetter was the wrong guy.

Just now, egoprime II said:

I thought it started when we drafted Julio in 2011?  Wasn't Julio the 'one player we needed'?

Not according to Mike Smith. We had a complete team in 2012. Problem w as replacing Clabo, McClure, Turner and John Abraham. Going in to 2013, they thought get Osi, Steven Jackson or some washed up player or rookie with thinking that they were 10 yards away from Sb. It comes more from TD, we have seen it with DQ and MS to hit diamond in the rough with washed up players.

Just now, falcons007 said:

He was good in 2012, started great in 2014 but injuries on the OL decimated the offense that year. Personnel was the biggest problem for Falcons from 2013-2014. 

He was okay in 2012. The team almost got to the promise land but they needed a run game to beat SF. Turner was toast. It's the same issues we've seen all along. 

Just now, Jesus said:

He was okay in 2012. The team almost got to the promise land but they needed a run game to beat SF. Turner was toast. It's the same issues we've seen all along. 

Ryan had a career year, top 5 scoring offense. First 4-5 weeks of 2014, they were blowing out people. I think we put 56 on TB in 2014 before the injuries hit. RW was hurt, JJ missed most of the season. Had TE blocking guys like Suggs and out OT were worst. Either ways DK was wrong hire in 2019. 

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Not according to Mike Smith. We had a complete team in 2012. Problem w as replacing Clabo, McClure, Turner and John Abraham. Going in to 2013, they thought get Osi, Steven Jackson or some washed up player or rookie with thinking that they were 10 yards away from Sb. It comes more from TD, we have seen it with DQ and MS to hit diamond in the rough with washed up players.

Thanks for that clarification, I -really- need to read that MS book.....

SJax never had a chance, not behind that O line.  Only true NFL lineman we had was Blalock.   Still this reliance on veteran RBs isn't a good idea.   Hopefully that is about to change.......... cross your fingers.

2 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Thanks for that clarification, I -really- need to read that MS book.....

SJax never had a chance, not behind that O line.  Only true NFL lineman we had was Blalock.   Still this reliance on veteran RBs isn't a good idea.   Hopefully that is about to change.......... cross your fingers.

I have to warn you though, just like Smitty’s coaching style the book can be bland. Again Smitty wasn’t eloquent like DQ but had his team overachieve with out too much hype.

Just now, falcons007 said:

I have to warn you though, just like Smitty’s coaching style the book can be bland. Again Smitty wasn’t eloquent like DQ but had his team overachieve with out too much hype.

Smitty will go down as one of the most underappreciated coaches the NFL has ever had.  

I think Smitty is ROH material.

52 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Arthur Blank.  I remember this going public.  It was his mandate to TD and MS.

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

The impose the will changed to Finesse and explosive after the GB playoff disaster. DQ should have had never lose back to back games rule Smitty had for first 5 years. 

I still don’t think that philosophy change was Smitty’s call at all. It wreaked of Hair Gel Wormtongue whispering to AB. 

I also still believe he could’ve turned things around with another year. Hair Gel gutted this team. Smith was bound to struggle.