We have come full Circle: Mike Bell: Top 5 Reasons Why The Falcons Should Trade Matt Ryan In The Offseason

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Not true at all. There was a large section of us trying to tell people that it takes more than a year to learn shannys system

It was like 5 people lol. Most threads devolved into Ryan vs Shanahan with that point sprinkled in. 

The board was anaheim after the first game against the Bucs

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mike Bell is that drunk uncle that shows his *** at thanksgiving.

Since we are officially in the Off season with Falcons are not going to win in 2021/ Trade Ryan/Julio arguments. Let's look at some of the arguments made by Media  at the end of  2015. Would the histo

Yep. People pretend to forget that we've literally been having the matt ryan's arm is shot argument since 2013. 

Just now, Wjcorner said:

It was like 5 people lol. Most threads devolved into Ryan vs Shanahan with that point sprinkled in. 

Happens every year. We had threads claiming SB after disastrous start to 2018 and 2019. 

2 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

Eh maybe. I think the fire and trade crowd was just louder...gotta make sure their crying and moaning is heard.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Eh maybe. I think the fire and trade crowd was just louder...gotta make sure their crying and moaning is heard.

For sure lol. Gotta be the first to pontificate what the season will be in preseason so you can do your annual victory lap if you’re right, or disappear for a few months only to show up with the same attitude if you’re wrong 🙄

7 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

I was one of them. Felt like John the Baptist sometimes but I was preaching. 

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

I was one of them. Felt like John the Baptist sometimes but I was preaching. 

I truly didn’t know. Only time I had a feeling we were gonna be nice was when Ryan had that Instagram post overlooking the city quoting a Future lyric. Just felt like the usual quiet guy calling his shot before the season meant something. It should’ve 🥺

Edited by Wjcorner
18 minutes ago, Serge said:

The defense is short by about 5-7 starters and the offense needs a few as well. We don't have to call it a rebuild as long as we win more than four games next year, but it's going to take longer than a year to put a roster around Ryan that we could really contend with even if Ryan's first season with Smith is his best since 2018.

A slightly better last year's 2nd half of the year defense, combined with an offense like 2018 (not even 2016) with more run game is a 10-11 win team in the playoffs.

Now whether we get there, I don't know.  But we're not far from a 10-6 team that's dangerous.  We're a ways away from a perennial 13 win team...but if we can be 10-6 until we get there, I'll take that.

But it's the "new age" thingy... derp derp... and... sometimes...

Twitch Speculate GIF by Hyper RPG

I will say this, that 2015 season might have been the roughest one ever on this dadgum board...

10. 2015 Season

The 2015 season for the Atlanta Falcons was one of the most gut-wrenching seasons in franchise history. Many fans had high hopes for this team after a 5-0 start. They fell back down to earth and would finish the year 8-8.

Matt Ryan had 4,591 passing yards, 21 touchdowns, 16 interceptions, and an 89.0 passer rating. This season was one of the most disrespectful because fans wanted to get rid of him and draft Deshaun Watson before the 2016 season started.

The most memorable moment from this season was upsetting the 14-0 Carolina Panthers ending their win streak after they got destroyed two weeks before. Ryan had horrible turnovers this season but no one else was able to step up on the team. Other than Julio Jones and Desmond Trufant, no one else on the Falcons had a great season in 2015.

21 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

A slightly better last year's 2nd half of the year defense, combined with an offense like 2018 (not even 2016) with more run game is a 10-11 win team in the playoffs.

Now whether we get there, I don't know.  But we're not far from a 10-6 team that's dangerous.  We're a ways away from a perennial 13 win team...but if we can be 10-6 until we get there, I'll take that.

Yep. Plenty of WC teams have won SB. Get in playoffs anything can happen. 

7 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

But it's the "new age" thingy... derp derp... and... sometimes...

Twitch Speculate GIF by Hyper RPG

I will say this, that 2015 season might have been the roughest one ever on this dadgum board...

10. 2015 Season

The 2015 season for the Atlanta Falcons was one of the most gut-wrenching seasons in franchise history. Many fans had high hopes for this team after a 5-0 start. They fell back down to earth and would finish the year 8-8.

Matt Ryan had 4,591 passing yards, 21 touchdowns, 16 interceptions, and an 89.0 passer rating. This season was one of the most disrespectful because fans wanted to get rid of him and draft Deshaun Watson before the 2016 season started.

The most memorable moment from this season was upsetting the 14-0 Carolina Panthers ending their win streak after they got destroyed two weeks before. Ryan had horrible turnovers this season but no one else was able to step up on the team. Other than Julio Jones and Desmond Trufant, no one else on the Falcons had a great season in 2015.

Where did you get this from?

52 minutes ago, Serge said:

The defense is short by about 5-7 starters and the offense needs a few as well. We don't have to call it a rebuild as long as we win more than four games next year, but it's going to take longer than a year to put a roster around Ryan that we could really contend with even if Ryan's first season with Smith is his best since 2018.

The same defense that held that absolutely suffocated the Raiders and turned that game into a turnover fest, held the Chiefs to only 17 points and shutout the Bucs an entire half of football needs 5-7 starters? How did they manage to do that if they're so void of talent on that side of the ball?

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Which is why he got a 3 year contract. That isn't a contract that a coach gets when a full rebuild is on deck....

Have you seen the NFL lately?

How long did Steve Wilks get in Arizona?

Doug Pederson got fired 3 years after winning the Eagles only Super Bowl.

A 3 year contract is standard these days even if you’re in a rebuild.

15 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The same defense that held that absolutely suffocated the Raiders and turned that game into a turnover fest, held the Chiefs to only 17 points and shutout the Bucs an entire half of football needs 5-7 starters? How did they manage to do that if they're so void of talent on that side of the ball?

I would be very careful in extrapolating the end of the year defense. We saw same in 2018,2019 and 2020. It may be have been DQ thing but wait before we call it talented. I agree, it may not be total rebuild like some want here with the D. It needs play makers at key positions. 

9 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Have you seen the NFL lately?

How long did Steve Wilks get in Arizona?

Doug Pederson got fired 3 years after winning the Eagles only Super Bowl.

A 3 year contract is standard these days even if you’re in a rebuild.

Yep. Not for Long. Matt Patricia was one of the hot coaching candidates in 2019, he didn’t last two years in DET. 

2 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

Even as a rookie, MR2's claim to fame wasn't arm strength. One thing that does concern me from last year though (with a very good WR core) was his tapping the ball with his left hand a couple times before throwing. Were guys not getting separation? It was like watching Mackey Sasser back there at times for those old enough to get the baseball analogy

That was Koetter installing the worst, most predictable offense in football.  In that system, if you don’t run the football, you don’t have a chance

The loss of Koetter will be the single best move the team makes this off-season

16 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I would be very careful in extrapolating the end of the year defense. We saw same in 2018,2019 and 2020. It may be have been DQ thing but wait before we call it talented. I agree, it may not be total rebuild like some want here with the D. It needs play makers at key positions. 

Our new DC seems to think it's plenty talented and that what we saw against the Chiefs should be the standard. If it weren't talented those games wouldn't have happened. Talent is there on both sides of the ball to win a minimum of 10 games RIGHT NOW. This exact same roster that ended the season getting blown away by the Bucs can win 10 games right now. Coaching was that bad and has been that bad the last 3 years. People don't understand how bad coaching is and how it can hold back an otherwise talented team.

9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

That was Koetter installing the worst, most predictable offense in football.  In that system, if you don’t run the football, you don’t have a chance

The loss of Koetter will be the single best move the team makes this off-season

No. That would be DQ. Even DK doesn’t come close to DQ. 

37 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The Raiders were starting to implode at that point in the season, Kansas City had already clinched the #1 seed, and the Bucs weren't any kind of world-beaters during the regular season.

1 minute ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Our new DC seems to think it's plenty talented and that what we saw against the Chiefs should be the standard. If it weren't talented those games wouldn't have happened. Talent is there on both sides of the ball to win a minimum of 10 games RIGHT NOW. This exact same roster that ended the season getting blown away by the Bucs can win 10 games right now. Coaching was that bad and has been that bad the last 3 years. People don't understand how bad coaching is and how it can hold back an otherwise talented team.

I get what you saying, just don’t want to fall in to same trap of reading too much in to meaningless games at end of the season. I am excited to see what Pees can bring, add more talent and more importantly play consistent defense from week 1.

1 minute ago, Serge said:

The Raiders were starting to implode at that point in the season, Kansas City had already clinched the #1 seed, and the Bucs weren't any kind of world-beaters during the regular season.

Chiefs played their starters for the entire game.

Bucs won their final 4 regular season games and averaged 37 points per game while doing it.

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I get what you saying, just don’t want to fall in to same trap of reading too much in to meaningless games at end of the season. I am excited to see what Pees can bring, add more talent and more importantly play consistent defense from week 1.

The difference is this ain't 2018 or 2019 or 2020 because we've got a whole new coaching staff in place. Also, the Falcons weren't eliminated when the turnaround on defense happened. The turnaround on defense started taking place in Quinn's last game. From games 5-15 of the season the Falcons defense gave up more than 23 points just twice in 10 games. 5 times they allowed 21 or less and it wasn't just because they were playing ****ty teams/offenses. There's a reason Dean Pees said there's talent on defense and that what we saw against the Chiefs should be the standard moving forward.