Why I think Terry Fontenont will draft Sewell with our first pick.

The Saints defense had two 8+ sack games against Matt Ryan the last 2 seasons. I would imagine Terry Fontenont coming from the Saints organization probably is under the impression our offensive line is a problem. Watching the Bucs d line in the super bowl will only reenforce the importance of fixing our offensive line. Not to mention Arthur Smith is a former offensive lineman and understands the importance of a good offensive line. 

Yep. Assuming the NYJ or Miami don’t grab him, I’m sold on him being the guy. Even if he’s gone, don’t be shocked if Slater is the pick. Both are high quality, safe picks at 4.

None of us can argue that we need whatever talent on both lines we can get.

14 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Saints defense had two 8+ sack games against Matt Ryan the last 2 seasons. I would imagine Terry Fontenont coming from the Saints organization probably is under the impression our offensive line is a problem. Watching the Bucs d line in the super bowl will only reenforce the importance of fixing our offensive line. Not to mention Arthur Smith is a former offensive lineman and understands the importance of a good offensive line. 

The sacks that Ryan took in those games weren't just because the protection was breaking down fast. Actually, Ryan was generally getting enough time in the pocket (meaning roughly 3 seconds at least). However, receivers were not getting open. A lot of those sacks were coverage sacks. The protection held up well but eventually broke down because nothing opened up down field.

Getting a good offensive line isn't just about throwing more picks and resources at it. It's also about teaching and drilling the right fundamental techniques. I imagine that's something Smith will emphasize (having played the position himself). That said, if the Falcons can't find a trade partner, by all means, draft Sewell with the 4th pick if he's still on the board.

7 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Yep. Assuming the NYJ or Miami don’t grab him, I’m sold on him being the guy. Even if he’s gone, don’t be shocked if Slater is the pick. Both are high quality, safe picks at 4.

None of us can argue that we need whatever talent on both lines we can get.

I don't think slater will be a #4 pick. They probably have someone else higher on their board at that pick....sewell, parsons, surtain, chase. Slater is my trade back option. I will actually be surprised, d/t fitting him into the lineup, if we go sewell though. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be pleased though.

28 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Unless he thinks that the talent is already there and scheme and/or coaching was the issue. Many (not all) coordinators draft opposite of their coaching specialty, thinking they can do more with less on their side of the ball

If we don't draft offensive line I hope we keep Alex Mack. I think Alex Mack would play great under Arthur Smith.

6 minutes ago, Williamb said:

I don't think slater will be a #4 pick. They probably have someone else higher on their board at that pick....sewell, parsons, surtain, chase. Slater is my trade back option. I will actually be surprised, d/t fitting him into the lineup, if we go sewell though. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be pleased though.

I like both those defenders. I just can’t imagine they’re on the radar at 4. 

One, Parsons, because his character questions will downgrade him on many boards. If we drop to ten, I can see it, but off-field red flags are one thing teams can’t control, so he’ll hurt himself there, I think.

Surtain, because it’s not even very clear he’s the best guy at his position, with Farley out there. I like him a lot. I just don’t think he’s coming off the board until the 10-15 range.

If we took a defender at 4, I think Rousseau is a mild surprise pick there, especially if he wows at his pro day. That 2019 production and his measurables are hard to ignore when you need a versatile pass rusher. 

Either way, aside from QB and WR, none of us can deny, we need talented guys, regardless of position!

7 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If we don't draft offensive line I hope we keep Alex Mack. I think Alex Mack would play great under Arthur Smith.

Yeah, at his age and for stability, I’m curious if he’s willing to work cheaper? Maybe 5-6mm?

2 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I like both those defenders. I just can’t imagine they’re on the radar at 4. 

One, Parsons, because his character questions will downgrade him on many boards. If we drop to ten, I can see it, but off-field red flags are one thing teams can’t control, so he’ll hurt himself there, I think.

Surtain, because it’s not even very clear he’s the best guy at his position, with Farley out there. I like him a lot. I just don’t think he’s coming off the board until the 10-15 range.

If we took a defender at 4, I think Rousseau is a mild surprise pick there, especially if he wows at his pro day. That 2019 production and his measurables are hard to ignore when you need a versatile pass rusher. 

Either way, aside from QB and WR, none of us can deny, we need talented guys, regardless of position!

This is exactly why I hope someone wants to take a risk on the flavor of the week and be willing to deal. I want to accumulate as many picks as possible in the 10- 64 range. That's where our bpa at need resides.

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

You may be right but these are all needs based arguments. 

If you're going to draft Sewell at #4 overall, the reason has to be because you simply think he is better at what he does than any other player, which he might be. 

If you look at the Saints draft history, they take tons of OL in 1st and 2nd.

• Cesar Ruiz (2020 - 1st)
  • Erik McCoy (2019 - 2nd)
  • Ryan Ramczyk (2017 - 1st)
  • Andrus Peat (2015 - 1st)
  • Terron Armstead (2013 - 3rd) 
  • Charles Brown (2010 - 2nd)

The thing that sticks out is a lot of these guys turned out extremely well. If we take Sewell, or trade back for Slater or another lineman I'd have a lot of confidence. Saints keep their OL stocked.

Just now, ATLFalcon36 said:

The thing that sticks out is a lot of these guys turned out extremely well. If we take Sewell, or trade back for Slater or another lineman I'd have a lot of confidence. Saints keep their OL stocked.

How much of it is Sean Peyton? What does As like to do? 

3 minutes ago, Williamb said:

I don't know man, but that's 5-6mil we could spend on de or s in fa.

True enough, but that's a big hole we're leaving in the gut of our line if Henny can't cut it. That's one reason I have Creed Humphrey on my radar mocking. I think he's going to be a stud center for a long time. 

1 minute ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

It demonstrates that the powers that be in that building have always known that their success rests with their QB having time to work. That's something the 'leadership' around the branch have seldom cared at all about.