What kind of draft capital in return would you want for trading Matthews?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol we are drafting Sewell just to dump Matthews. Matthews is a top 10 T. We aren’t moving him to G either. People can’t help themselves.

I would play Sewell at RG and move Lindstrom to LG. Even move Sewell to RT and McGary to RG and Lindstrom to LG. 

Too much dead cap in 2021. I would let AS work with talent he has on the OL. Holding the ball close to 3 seconds for some one to get open is a disaster for QB and OL.  Let them get back to quick strik

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

I would play Sewell at RG and move Lindstrom to LG. Even move Sewell to RT and McGary to RG and Lindstrom to LG. 

I thought Chris was gonna be a LG actually, stronger pass blocker than road grader. If he improves his power he can get the run game going or this scheme helps that some, but ya. I like Sewell for RG instead for now that’s a good idea.

Long term? Jake might go in a couple years and then Sewell goes to LT, but again you play the best 5 and worry about roster turnover later.

Move Mathews to right tackle play Sewell at left tackle. At some point the Falcons need to make the right pick at the right time. I hope Sewell if available is the pick is that guy and not another G Robinson. Move Mcgary to guard or trade him. I did not see the line being all that last year and of course scheme was a big part of it hopefully. Mathews would  be better than Mcgary and Sewell if lives up to the hype will be a dominating left tackle. You can find another guard but tackles are worth their weight in gold since they usually take on the best pass rushers. 

Of course my preference is trade down get another 2nd rounder but if the Falcons are stuck at 4 Sewell would be the guy to draft if available. Win in the trenches and most likely you win the game.

4 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Did DQ hack your account KOG? :lol:

I was thinking the same thing with the whole OL shell game thing, but DQ would f*** up a wet dream and I have a hard time imagining KOG having DQ's moobs. That said, if signs change, I took a mythology class in college and if I suspect a doppleganger rest assured I will be the first to send the KOG pod person to the Abyss. And before any of you morons say anything I'm a lot more tenacious than I look.

4 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Too much dead cap in 2021. I would let AS work with talent he has on the OL. Holding the ball close to 3 seconds for some one to get open is a disaster for QB and OL.  Let them get back to quick strike WCO under AS. 
Mathews is a very good LT. What would happen if Sewel turns in to another Greg Robinson. Robinson was hyped more than Mathews.

Don’t know what it is this off season no one wants to see what this teams got when it’s let off the leash.

Alot still think this Oline is going to look trash 🗑 under AS that’s thee only reason everyone seems to want to look at moving people on.

5 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Too much dead cap in 2021. I would let AS work with talent he has on the OL. Holding the ball close to 3 seconds for some one to get open is a disaster for QB and OL.  Let them get back to quick strike WCO under AS. 
Mathews is a very good LT. What would happen if Sewel turns in to another Greg Robinson. Robinson was hyped more than Mathews.

This is why I think we keep Matthews even if we draft Sewell.   Play Sewell -somewhere-, LG, RT, make sure Sewell can play.... then look at a Matthews trade next offseason.

8 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I thought Chris was gonna be a LG actually, stronger pass blocker than road grader. If he improves his power he can get the run game going or this scheme helps that some, but ya. I like Sewell for RG instead for now that’s a good idea.

Long term? Jake might go in a couple years and then Sewell goes to LT, but again you play the best 5 and worry about roster turnover later.

Jake has more than 2 years of great play lol. 

2 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

We aren't trading Mathews regardless of if we draft Sewell or not. I would bet my entire net worth on it. 

I agree. He'll actually probably get an extension and reworked contract.

He certainly can't go anywhere before 1 June without 18 mill in dead money and that wouldn't improve our cap for 2021.

What was it TF said about not sacrificing the present for the future. Trading Jake (even with Sewell) might fall in that category. 

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

I agree. He'll actually probably get an extension and reworked contract.

He certainly can't go anywhere before 1 June without 18 mill in dead money and that wouldn't improve our cap for 2021.

What was it TF said about not sacrificing the present for the future. Trading Jake (even with Sewell) might fall in that category. 

Especially when there is 0 guarantee Sewell will be either A) Better than Matthew's or B )Healthy. Matthew's has been a guaranteed solid Tackle for close to a decade. Sewell hasn't played a single pro game. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot

Historically the NFL turns many college Tackles into average to good to great NFL Guards. Some come from bigger programs and many come from mid-tier to even very small school programs. For Zone Blocking teams it is one of the best ways to use lower draft picks and UDFA to find very good NFL Guards and save payroll at same time.

15 hours ago, Someday soon said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-top-25-offensive-tackles-2020-nfl-season

Rankings are from before the 2020 season.

If Sewell is the pick at #4 and we put Matthews (can't pay a guard 20 mil/yr) on the block.   Falcons wouldn't get a Tunsil type trade but Matthews (comes fairly cheap for three years) and is a very good player.  A lot of mocks have the Chargers taking a tackle.  Could we acquire their 1st round pick (13th) in the draft for Matthews? 

Matthews legacy... 

How Falcons LT Jake Matthews blew the Super Bowl

kinard : 2/9/2017 1:24 pm
When all the Falcons needed was one more score, Matthews knocked the Falcons out of field goal range with two of the worst second half penalties in NFL History.

Holding #1: 1:30 left in 3rd quarter; Atlanta up 28-9. 2d and 1 on Pats 32 and he gets called for a hold on a running play...on 2d and 1!!! - Not only would Falcons have gotten easy first down, they probably score a TD and ice the game. That play is followed by an incomplete pass and a God-awful Ryan sack to push ball back to pats 49 yard line. Falcons blow field goal chance and punt.

Holding #2: Leading 28-20 with 4:40 left in game, the Falcons, after great Julio Jones catch, have first and 10 at Pats 22 yard line. Atlanta loses 2 yards on first down with with run. On second down Falcons inexplicably try to throw and Ryan takes another sack moving ball back to Pats 35 - still well within Matt Bryant range. But then on third down, Matthews tackles Chris Long and his penalty nullifies 7-yard pass to Sanu and moves ball back to Pats 45 and then (3rd and 33) Ryan misses a short throw. Falcons punt and the rest (as they say) is history.

Matthews two penalties cost the Falcons two make-able field goals and ultimately the Super Bowl.

A hold on a 2d and 1 running play? Tackling Chris Long with Falcons in field goal range? Can you imagine if that was Eric Flowers? He would have been run out of town before the game ended...

Bad penalties  
bigblue12 : 2/9/2017 1:27 pm : link
but this falls on the coach. Don't put him in a position to fail and run the ball, game over.
you run twice there and take a knee  
UConn4523 : 2/9/2017 1:34 pm : link
wherever your kicker likes to kick from, burning clock and timeouts in the process. The result would have been a 38-40 yarder to win the game and if they miss, you still have an 8 point lead with Brady needing to go 75+ yards with no timeouts.
7 hours ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Jake has more than 2 years of great play lol. 

That’s not what I said at all. :lol: :ninja:

Waiting for roster needs to develop is how TD got into trouble after our 2 SB runs; hurts when you trade so many draft picks and they aren’t all worth it: see Takk for eg

I’m just describing a specific scenario IF the Falcons got Sewell and IF the cap would become an issue later for Matthews...and it likely would because you’d have Lindstrom and McGary coming due. Sewell makes LT possibly secure long term is all. That’s the point.

Foresight not short sight.

And it’s basically the same premise of using #4 on a QB...but Ryan and QB is a different and far more nuanced conversation; hence why there are like 10 threads a day about it lol

2 hours ago, joeyg2033 said:

Matthews legacy... 

How Falcons LT Jake Matthews blew the Super Bowl

kinard : 2/9/2017 1:24 pm
When all the Falcons needed was one more score, Matthews knocked the Falcons out of field goal range with two of the worst second half penalties in NFL History.

Holding #1: 1:30 left in 3rd quarter; Atlanta up 28-9. 2d and 1 on Pats 32 and he gets called for a hold on a running play...on 2d and 1!!! - Not only would Falcons have gotten easy first down, they probably score a TD and ice the game. That play is followed by an incomplete pass and a God-awful Ryan sack to push ball back to pats 49 yard line. Falcons blow field goal chance and punt.

Holding #2: Leading 28-20 with 4:40 left in game, the Falcons, after great Julio Jones catch, have first and 10 at Pats 22 yard line. Atlanta loses 2 yards on first down with with run. On second down Falcons inexplicably try to throw and Ryan takes another sack moving ball back to Pats 35 - still well within Matt Bryant range. But then on third down, Matthews tackles Chris Long and his penalty nullifies 7-yard pass to Sanu and moves ball back to Pats 45 and then (3rd and 33) Ryan misses a short throw. Falcons punt and the rest (as they say) is history.

Matthews two penalties cost the Falcons two make-able field goals and ultimately the Super Bowl.

A hold on a 2d and 1 running play? Tackling Chris Long with Falcons in field goal range? Can you imagine if that was Eric Flowers? He would have been run out of town before the game ended...

Bad penalties  
bigblue12 : 2/9/2017 1:27 pm : link
but this falls on the coach. Don't put him in a position to fail and run the ball, game over.
you run twice there and take a knee  
UConn4523 : 2/9/2017 1:34 pm : link
wherever your kicker likes to kick from, burning clock and timeouts in the process. The result would have been a 38-40 yarder to win the game and if they miss, you still have an 8 point lead with Brady needing to go 75+ yards with no timeouts.

I thought those were Matt Ryan’s fault? :ninja:;) :tiphat::lol:

5 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

That’s not what I said at all. :lol: :ninja:

Waiting for roster needs to develop is how TD got into trouble after our 2 SB runs; hurts when you trade so many draft picks and they aren’t all worth it: see Takk for eg

I’m just describing a specific scenario IF the Falcons got Sewell and IF the cap would become an issue later for Matthews...and it likely would because you’d have Lindstrom and McGary coming due. Sewell makes LT possibly secure long term is all. That’s the point.

Foresight not short sight.

And it’s basically the same premise of using #4 on a QB...but Ryan and QB is a different and far more nuanced conversation; hence why there are like 10 threads a day about it lol

I just think adding a T at 4 is a wasted pick. Matthews can be restructured if we are worried about cap a long with others. If you are saying draft somebody late for a swing T and possbily develop in 3-4 years to take over for Jake then thats fine. Again though a T at 4 is wasted pick. We aren't cutting McGary or moving him to G. We have our future C and we can get a LG in rounds 3-4 and or draft a vet for cheap at G/C.

6 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

I just think adding a T at 4 is a wasted pick. Matthews can be restructured if we are worried about cap a long with others. If you are saying draft somebody late for a swing T and possbily develop in 3-4 years to take over for Jake then thats fine. Again though a T at 4 is wasted pick. We aren't cutting McGary or moving him to G. We have our future C and we can get a LG in rounds 3-4 and or draft a vet for cheap at G/C.

I was quoting KoG’s plan of Sewell as an OG...”for a couple years” then decide on Matthews IF cap in future years became an issue.

1 hour ago, joeyg2033 said:

Not the hold. Only the 4th quarter sack and taking snaps with 16 seconds left on delay of game clock...  Explain that work of art... 

oh yeah, he wasn’t perfect, but I wager his own “errors” were really a function of the strategy failure to begin with. Up tempo, throwing without worry about the clock? That’s a Dan Quinn / Kyle Shanahan team if I’ve ever seen one.

The entire strategy vs the #1 scoring defense should have been for the FG after the Matthews hold on that first drive negated FG range.

At WORST, if you throw...throw it out of a condensed formation under C and utilize play action. Shotgun was pure arrogance with injured OL and Teco; and that ego was Kyle being let out on the leash. It works when mounting a huge lead; such as the previous 2 playoff games, but bites you late in games like we constantly saw under DQ era Falcons. Quinn didn’t do his job. Mike Smith could play for that FG in his sleep.

Just think...that was by far the best run game we have seen for the Falcons since prime Turner and we kept throwing.

Ya, some sloppy time management wrt play clock, but they still tied the game with a min left. Ryan still had a better game than Brady. Issue was coaching and defense that separated the two teams. The realistic option for Ryan on the 2nd and 11 sack was IG. That’s loss of downs, too. Either way you slice it the core was strategy being the correct one and Matthews 2nd hold never occurs; most likely. And secures the Matt Bryant attempt we had been needing.

1 hour ago, joeyg2033 said:

Not the hold. Only the 4th quarter sack and taking snaps with 16 seconds left on delay of game clock...  Explain that work of art... 

The sack came on a play action pass where he got hit the second he turned around because free whiffed on the block completely. First, why the f are we running a play action pass instead of running the clock and second, how the **** is that the qbs fault?

26 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

The sack came on a play action pass where he got hit the second he turned around because free whiffed on the block completely. First, why the f are we running a play action pass instead of running the clock and second, how the **** is that the qbs fault?

Yeah I forgot he could’ve been referencing the Freeman whiff.

Basically, if they were playing the clock they would have done that. HC was in over his head. Or, head stuck in his philosophy instead of the SITUATION, you know, instead of seeing the way the war was going and what was needed to get the W.

Felt like this was how it went in DQ’s head:

”yeah, I know we need to keep scoring because this defense been embarrassing me. I let Kyle have free reign to get us here. Trust is a must, right? Heh. That’ll be on a tshirt by Monday’s presser. 😏And hey, I guess I should trust my 70-80 play defense to hold a one score lead if it doesn’t work, right? They don’t need any protection at this point. We got this. Embrace what got us here! This is for you Kyle; dial up a winner!!”

*ryan on sidelines after first stall in FG range “we need to RUN THE BALL!”

Kyle upstairs oblivious.

Dan “throw it again, we are losing”

:rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

The Free wiff occurred earlier on the fumble. The other sack happened on the Julio catch series. He still had time to throw it away... or simply fall without losing 12 yards. He had the presence of mind to do neither. Also when we should've been running down the play clock to the last second, he was snapping with sixteen seconds left. Inexcusable... 

Edited by joeyg2033