Why I think Dante Fowler could play a lot better next year.

29 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

How do you figure? Means and Cominsky had way more tackles. Harris had as many tfl as Fowler. 12 solo tackles in 14 games isn't exactly a really good job imo

Properly setting the edge doesn’t necessarily lead to a tackle. If you prevent the RB from getting to the outside and the interior DL or LB makes the tackle you did your job. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because he couldn't possibly play worse?

After Raheem Morris called him out, Dante Fowler tweeted that he had been playing on one leg all season. That would explain why he didn't play as well as expected. If Dante stays healthy next yea

It's bad when Charles Harris' numbers are eerily similar while probably playing a fraction of the snaps

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

On an unrelated topic I was just watching some TJ Watt highlights and was seeing he makes a lot of his big plays going against TEs and RBs and not OTs. I can assume this was happening not because the other teams were stupid but because of Pittsburgh’s various formations they could slide to have Tuitt or Hayward take the OT and let Watt beat up on the non-lineman. 

With Pees being a multiple fronts coach, can we scheme Fowler these kinds of matchups? Is that what he did with the Rams? 

well the odd front does lend itself to schematic and tactical advantages IMO.  I'll just leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Mister pudding said:

How do you figure? Means and Cominsky had way more tackles. Harris had as many tfl as Fowler. 12 solo tackles in 14 games isn't exactly a really good job imo

Playing the run as a DE isn't about TFL. It's about setting the edge. If you can get the TFL, great. Most importantly, don't let the runner get outside of you! That is your job when setting the edge as a DE when playing the run. He did a great job of setting the edge against the run, so he did a great job playing the run.

1 hour ago, Alomar said:

You are entitled to your opinion...

LMAO. Donald's worst year was better than Jarret's best year.

Aaron Donald could retire tomorrow and would be considered by a lot of people to be the best DT in NFL history. Dude's a top 10 all time NFL defender.

Edited by Snafu
Just now, Snafu said:

LMAO.

Aaron Donald could retire tomorrow and would be considered by a lot of people to be the best DT in NFL history. Dude's a top 10 all time NFL defender.

I agree that Aaron is one of, if not, THE BEST DT in history! To say that Grady is not even close to the same talent, in my opinion, is crazy. I am not saying Grady is as good, or better, than Aaron Donald. I am saying the talent level isn't as far off as some people think. If you were to create a list of the best DT playing right now, would Grady be in it? How high would Grady be? I would say that he is in the top 5.

1 minute ago, Alomar said:

I agree that Aaron is one of, if not, THE BEST DT in history! To say that Grady is not even close to the same talent, in my opinion, is crazy. I am not saying Grady is as good, or better, than Aaron Donald. I am saying the talent level isn't as far off as some people think. If you were to create a list of the best DT playing right now, would Grady be in it? How high would Grady be? I would say that he is in the top 5.

Even if I put Grady at 2, the gap between the 2 would practically be the English Channel.

I just dont think they are comparable in terms of talent level. No knock on Grady, but we may never see another DT as dominant as Donald in our lifetimes.

45 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Even if I put Grady at 2, the gap between the 2 would practically be the English Channel.

I just dont think they are comparable in terms of talent level. No knock on Grady, but we may never see another DT as dominant as Donald in our lifetimes.

We will have to agree to disagree on the gap between them. I think that we can both agree that Donald is one of, if not, the best DT to ever play the game, and that Grady is a very good/great DT himself.

6 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Not really an opinion.

Donald: 85.5 sacks

Jarrett: 25.5 sacks

Jarrett is good. Donald is elite. 

Sure, Aaron has a whole lot more sacks. Not saying Aaron isn't the better DT. Aaron also has 49 more tackles in 17 more games. Sacks aren't the only stat. Aaron Donald is the better DT, but Grady Jarrett isn't some scrub taking up space. He is a very good/great DT himself. My OPINION is that the gap between the two of them isn't huge. 

Donald: 337 Tackles in 110 games

Jarrett: 288 tackles in 93 games

2 minutes ago, Alomar said:

Sure, Aaron has a whole lot more sacks. Not saying Aaron isn't the better DT. Aaron also has 49 more tackles in 17 more games. Sacks aren't the only stat. Aaron Donald is the better DT, but Grady Jarrett isn't some scrub taking up space. He is a very good/great DT himself. My OPINION is that the gap between the two of them isn't huge. 

Donald: 337 Tackles in 110 games

Jarrett: 288 tackles in 93 games

Sure in terms of tackles the gap isn’t that big. In terms of a player the gap is big. Point of this is that expecting Fowler to put up similar numbers as he did with Donald is a fool’s errand. Grady, while still really good, isn’t the player that Donald is.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/05/rams-aaron-donald-pressures-nfl-ranking/

Not to mention QB hits. This isn’t a knock on Jarrett but Donald is in a league of his own. 

17 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Fowler is trash and was a trash signing. I think the majority of us knew that whenever we signed him. Dude is an athlete not a football player. One of the many idiot moves we made in FA over the years. 

He thrived with Donald there. We don’t have an Aaron Donald type of player here, so he can’t do that anymore. It was fools gold right from the beginning. 

As others have stated I think pees will have a lot to say abt this.  Both schematically and w the insertion of his foot in that *** as necessary!!  He will demand it!!  But also, he will have this units respect up front too.  You can’t convince me that this entire staff had not lost the respect of these players.  

56 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Fowler is trash and was a trash signing. I think the majority of us knew that whenever we signed him. Dude is an athlete not a football player. One of the many idiot moves we made in FA over the years. 

This may be valid or not but your point reminds me a lot of the whole Beasley saga.  Athlete....not a player.  DQ and co had a pure knack for that  

5 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

After Raheem Morris called him out, Dante Fowler tweeted that he had been playing on one leg all season. That would explain why he didn't play as well as expected.

If Dante stays healthy next year he should play a lot better under Dean Pees scheme. That would make a big difference for our defense.

If the coach called him out then the coach must not have known.  How is that possible? 

4 hours ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

He did play injured. Of course, he could play worse, but it makes sense to have some hope that he'll improve with good health and with DP at the helm of the D. 

what's his name 2.0

4 hours ago, Snozberies17 said:

I liked the signing at the time but was never expecting him to be more than a complimentary pass rusher. Overpriced, sure. But was happy we added someone to the group. If Takk had stayed healthy and provided some push from the opposite side I think Fowler could have cleaned up on a few extra sacks and from what I remember held the edge pretty well on rushing downs. If we can get some help in the off season on the other side and he gets healthy then Peas will find a nice role for him.

waterboy comes to mind

2 hours ago, Alomar said:

Playing the run as a DE isn't about TFL. It's about setting the edge. If you can get the TFL, great. Most importantly, don't let the runner get outside of you! That is your job when setting the edge as a DE when playing the run. He did a great job of setting the edge against the run, so he did a great job playing the run.

so being half good is ok, got it.

13 hours ago, autigerfan said:

Let's face it, we have no choice.  No pass rusher worthy of #4 it seems and unlikely to find one in free agency.  I like Patrick Jones II from Pitt but thinking he may sneak into the end of the 1st which would put him out of reach barring a trade down.   

I see Patrick Jones in the middle/late second round. But I like him