Arthur Smiths Offensive Philosophy

I looked at his introductory press conference from 2019, when he became the OC of Titans. It was interesting to see what he wanted to do with that offense and what he achieved in 2019-2020. AS gave lot of information and just sounds like a guy who wants to maximize the potential of the players. 

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2019/2/5/18212362/press-conference-recap-titans-introduce-arthur-smith-as-offensive-coordinator

On Offensive Philosophies after ML left Titans to become GB HC. 

• Smith was asked of all the offenses and coordinators he’s coached under, which one most closely aligns with his beliefs.

“Well it’s this one. I like this system a lot. You know, there are different variations. You can go through this and call things your ‘system,’ but whether this was Paul Brown to Mike Shanahan to Mike Heimerdinger, Gary Kubiak to Kyle Shanahan — and you’ve seen the people who worked under Mike Shanahan: Kyle, Sean McVay, and obviously Matt LaFleur — there’s a lot of different variations, but at its core, I’m a big fan of it... The first offense I ever coached in was similar to this... When Dowell [Loggains] took over, obviously he had been with Mike Heimerdinger, that was in 2013, we integrated a lot of that stuff. The keeper game, how you teach the quarterback, how he’s going to read the progressions, and then obviously when Matt came in here, it was a little bit different... So to answer your question, I’m a big fan of this offense. This is kind of the third time I’ve been in it, so to speak.”

On how he expects QB to improve in that offense. Hopefully this will put an end to SARk/DK calling god knows whose offense. 

• Paul Kuharsky asked, “What’s the key to maximizing Marcus?” Smith said that having familiarity with the system and an improved offense around him would help Mariota improve. 

When he comes in here [in April], he’ll know exactly how we are reading plays, he’ll know exactly how we are calling plays, and that just allows him to take another step. So to answer your question, I think as the whole offense improves, in Year 2, it’ll help the quarterback.”

What would he do to improve the QB

• When asked if there’s anything the coaches can do to help ensure that Mariota plays 16 games, Smith said there are plenty of things they can try to accomplish, and that there are a lot of factors in keeping the quarterback upright, including playcalling, understanding week-to-week matchups, changing the quarterback’s launch point, and having a successful run game, and capped it off by saying, “There definitely will be a conscious effort to keep him healthy.”

Much more about his dad, run-pass ratio and so in the link.. 

22 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I looked at his introductory press conference from 2019, when he became the OC of Titans. It was interesting to see what he wanted to do with that offense and what he achieved in 2019-2020. AS gave lot of information and just sounds like a guy who wants to maximize the potential of the players. 

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2019/2/5/18212362/press-conference-recap-titans-introduce-arthur-smith-as-offensive-coordinator

• Smith was asked of all the offenses and coordinators he’s coached under, which one most closely aligns with his beliefs.

“Well it’s this one. I like this system a lot. You know, there are different variations. You can go through this and call things your ‘system,’ but whether this was Paul Brown to Mike Shanahan to Mike Heimerdinger, Gary Kubiak to Kyle Shanahan — and you’ve seen the people who worked under Mike Shanahan: Kyle, Sean McVay, and obviously Matt LaFleur — there’s a lot of different variations, but at its core, I’m a big fan of it... The first offense I ever coached in was similar to this... When Dowell [Loggains] took over, obviously he had been with Mike Heimerdinger, that was in 2013, we integrated a lot of that stuff. The keeper game, how you teach the quarterback, how he’s going to read the progressions, and then obviously when Matt came in here, it was a little bit different... So to answer your question, I’m a big fan of this offense. This is kind of the third time I’ve been in it, so to speak.”

On how he expects QB to improve in that offense. Hopefully this will put an end to SARk/DK calling god knows whose offense. 

• Paul Kuharsky asked, “What’s the key to maximizing Marcus?” Smith said that having familiarity with the system and an improved offense around him would help Mariota improve. 

When he comes in here [in April], he’ll know exactly how we are reading plays, he’ll know exactly how we are calling plays, and that just allows him to take another step. So to answer your question, I think as the whole offense improves, in Year 2, it’ll help the quarterback.”

• When asked if there’s anything the coaches can do to help ensure that Mariota plays 16 games, Smith said there are plenty of things they can try to accomplish, and that there are a lot of factors in keeping the quarterback upright, including playcalling, understanding week-to-week matchups, changing the quarterback’s launch point, and having a successful run game, and capped it off by saying, “There definitely will be a conscious effort to keep him healthy.”

Sir, im going to have to ask you to stop posting these things. I feel my hopes getting up and the future looking potentially a little brighter....dont you put that JUJU on me....

23 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I like how he says "teaching the QB"  may be coach speak, but I love hearing that.

28 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Sir, im going to have to ask you to stop posting these things. I feel my hopes getting up and the future looking potentially a little brighter....dont you put that JUJU on me....

LOL. Just trying to get out of Embrace the suck in to new AS era. haha. 

4 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I approve this message. :tiphat:

I really like AS... he has better talent here in Atlanta than he had in the Titans.. so I think we can be really good on O this next year... and I really think our D can become so so good... with some pieces like a CB and FS .. with a good backend we can get this defense going... next year if this pandemic lets me travel I am going to see them live...

8 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

It is interesting that Mariota actually declined under him and got benched when the titans offense looked terrible the first 5 or 6 games of the 19 season.

It may have boiled down to experience.  Tannehill has been around and has far more work experience.  If they had stayed with Mariota, my guess is that he would have started getting better and been ready to go year two.

8 hours ago, gazoo said:

I came to this thread hoping to find a 12 step meeting on grieving past seasons,  but all  I see are happy, optimistic people hoping we can turn things around this season and play in post season.  

What kind of fans are you guys anyway??? 

Honestly, it's hard to read Smith's statements and not gush over him.

Granted, he's saying all the right things, but man, at the same time they are things that I haven't heard from Koetter, or even Kyle for that matter. I mean, he was talking about winning football games in every phase as a team years before he even took a job as HC, which means even as OC he was thinking big picture, not just offense. Smith is clearly a forward thinking guy. I'm sure there are certain fundamental things he'll stick to (you gotta have a solid foundation to work from of course), but he seems committed to doing whatever it takes to win football games, and not being overly concerned with what that looks like on a game to game basis.

For me, that's all you can ask for out of a HC.

1 hour ago, Mr.11 said:

Honestly, it's hard to read Smith's statements and not gush over him.

Granted, he's saying all the right things, but man, at the same time they are things that I haven't heard from Koetter, or even Kyle for that matter. I mean, he was talking about winning football games in every phase as a team years before he even took a job as HC, which means even as OC he was thinking big picture, not just offense. Smith is clearly a forward thinking guy. I'm sure there are certain fundamental things he'll stick to (you gotta have a solid foundation to work from of course), but he seems committed to doing whatever it takes to win football games, and not being overly concerned with what that looks like on a game to game basis.

For me, that's all you can ask for out of a HC.

Just the way he digs in to the specifics like this is different than what I’m used to hearing from our coaches:  

“there are a lot of factors in keeping the quarterback upright, including playcalling, understanding week-to-week matchups, changing the quarterback’s launch point, and having a successful run game, and capped it off by saying, “There definitely will be a conscious effort to keep him healthy.”

Our Offensive Line just got better in pass protection just by me reading this. Each individual OL just became a better player. Smith knows we have to get a dominant feature back. It’s not a secondary need, it’s critical to our success and makes everything else work becuase of it.

So many fans have no idea how a poorly managed scheme, predictability in play calling and lack of imagination in game planning  can make great players look like bad players, and how an intelligently managed flexible scheme and creative game planning can make average players look like very good players.

To start a company like FedEx and have it grow into the behemoth it is, you have to have painful attention to every single little detail in the early days as it is all coming together to build something like that. I think Arthur Smiths mind works to a degree like his fathers. From listening to him he has extraordinary attention to these finite details that can all make a huge difference in the end product. I think Shanny to a degree saw a lot of this and we see how that worked out for RYAN and our OL, we also know Keotter never spoke like this and we saw players being forced into situations they would fail, no versatility at all.

I really like what I see happening. 

I’m looking forward to the future. I see a scenario where we utilize the experience of Ryan to bulk up the team in the next transition year as a mentor or player coach. And hopefully draft in younger, more aggressive “game changer” talent to groom and keep healthy, ready to take us over the hump. I know we’re no more than 3 seasons from a deep run, maybe only 2, but it’s my safe expectation that it takes more than 1 year. We are not a scheme change away from the Super Bowl this year but we will be within 2-3 years and I can wait with my faded white Bart 10. Fan when we win, fan when we lose. But if you ask I like wins better. 
Good luck, AS.  

15 hours ago, ShadyRef said:

Do you think it will take 2 years for Matt to revert back to Shanahan style offense?

I mean, it’s not just the QB. I’d give it a few weeks into the season at most for Matt. It’ll be like riding a bike. Dude had it mastered. It’s the rest of the players and then adapting/learning w/ and from Arthur Smith, but Ryan & Smith will be big in of itself; their growth.

16 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I really hope Arty can get us to the promised land. 12 coaches and 5 interims. I'm tired. Need rest.

We were so close ... I really think with AS our Offense will get better.. and in 2 years with 2 good draft our D can really start playing ... we need some playmakers upfront the issue Is this draft is no good for us in that regard.. but get me surtain and washington for starters and some rotational guys in the trenches we can get to middle of the pack in D... I love the Pees hire...