Where sacks come from: units

Summerhill

It's the offseason so as is tradition, Falcons fans are asking what the team can do to actually rush the passer rather than what they normally do every season which is rush the passer poorly. What better way to build a team to get lots of sacks than to look at the top teams? For this discussion Edge is 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs, Interior is 4-3 DTs and all 3-4 DL, and Blitz is all 4-3 LBs, 3-4 ILB, and all DBs. 

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

• Edge: 25
  • Interior: 18
  • Blitz: 13

2. Los Angeles Rams

• Edge: 20
  • Interior: 27
  • Blitz: 6

3. Philadelphia Eagles

• Edge: 24
  • Interior: 16
  • Blitz: 9

4. Arizona Cardinals

• Edge: 26.5
  • Interior: 12.5

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Edge: 18.5
  • Interior: 13
  • Blitz: 16.5

23. Atlanta Falcons

• Edge: 10
  • Interior: 8
  • Blitz: 11

We've all known Edge has been a problem for the Falcons for a long time but it's a bit surprising to see how equally lacking the Falcons interior rush has been. I can see getting another 5-6 sack per year interior lineman to pair with Grady as being just as big a need as more edge rush. 

Edited by Summerhill

It's hard to get interior or exterior pressure when neither of them are very good. If Grady comes up the middle our edge guys have been blasted out and the QB can escape laterally, and if our edge guys get their guy the QB can usually just step up. Grady can't do it all. 

However, the real answer this past season is that along with what I just said, our secondary was so bad the QB's usually had someone open well before needing to worry about anyone getting in the backfield. That's why we need some serious capital put into our defense this year, because everything needs work.

32 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

It's the offseason so as is tradition, Falcons fans are asking what the team can do to actually rush the passer rather than what they normally do every season which is rush the passer poorly. What better way to build a team to get lots of sacks than to look at the top teams? For this discussion Edge is 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs, Interior is 4-3 DTs and all 3-4 DL, and Blitz is all 4-3 LBs, 3-4 ILB, and all DBs. 

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Los Angeles Rams

3. Philadelphia Eagles

4. Arizona Cardinals

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

23. Atlanta Falcons

We've all known Edge has been a problem for the Falcons for a long time but it's a bit surprising to see how equally lacking the Falcons interior rush has been. I can see getting another 5-6 sack per year interior lineman to pair with Grady as being just as big a need as more edge rush. 

Nice post.  I was gonna be cute and say "A magical kingdom forever denied to the Falcons."  

**** solid info.

It's has been one of several problems for a while. It's not that TD, Smitty and Quinn didn't try to address the problem but they shot blanks or failed to develop what talent they brought in.

Fans who think the Falcons can compete next year for a championship are setting themselves up for a heartbreak. There is too much work to be done.

I read a book recently about the cap.  It was a book from 2017, which talked about the Patriots, and the various methods they use to find salary cap value.

One off the things they realised, was that the DL market is driven by  sack numbers. Therefore, to build a pass rush at low cost, they look for free agent DL who generate consistent pressure, but don’t have the sack numbers which drive prices up. They can add a number of such players, for the price of a top DE.

I though it was an interesting approach to building a pass rush - as opposed to throwing big $ at expensive FAs...

2 hours ago, Summerhill said:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Los Angeles Rams

3. Philadelphia Eagles

4. Arizona Cardinals

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

23. Atlanta Falcons

The clown show in Atlanta had no idea how to draft or find players who can get the QB on the ground.

Fast & physical though :bang:

It's still a gaping sore oozing with puss & failure.  

3 hours ago, Summerhill said:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Los Angeles Rams

3. Philadelphia Eagles

4. Arizona Cardinals

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

23. Atlanta Falcons

If we had 18.5 from the edge and 16.5 on blitzes like Tampa did we'd have more than 8 on the interior.  It's all symbiotic.

45 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

If we had 18.5 from the edge and 16.5 on blitzes like Tampa did we'd have more than 8 on the interior.  It's all symbiotic.

I think there are two factors.

1. Most of the teams on here are 3-4 teams so they are getting interior pressure from upward of three players on the field at all times. The Falcons only get it from two. 
  2. There is still a talent deficiency after Jarrett. I like Davison but he is very clearly only a run stuffer. If you look at the Eagles, their 4-3 interior is lead by Fletcher Cox who is equal or a tiny bit better than Jarrett but after him you have Javon Hargrave and Malik Jackson who are clearly a significant level better than anyone the Falcons have. 

8 hours ago, slick0ne said:

Some really good info here. I wonder how it would look since Abe left. My guess is really bad even with Beasley's  2016 freak season.

Dude, it’s gotta be abysmal.  Just think how many games we saw where no one has touched the opposing wb.  Seriously.....I found myself gazing in amazement esp w a supposed D expert for HC....I think this is our single biggest and most glaring issue of the many we have

5 hours ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

I don't understand how one team can be consistently that bad in one category for so long. It's been decades since we've had a remotely decent pass rush.

That’s been my whole thing.....HTF can any semi pro level team not get to AB once or twice a game???   It’s been absurd for years 

Coverage also makes sacks from every position go up. We didn't have that last year either.

Still, it looks like we're about 5-7 sacks on interior under better teams, while we're 15 sacks on edge under better teams.  So we're more deficient on edge.  Legitimately we're one good interior player and 2 good edge players away...which is everyone besides Grady.  But 2 would work...an edge and an interior or 2 edge would make a huge difference.

Secondary has to play tighter regardless.

• Summerhill changed the title to Where sacks come from: units