2 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

He's still the most intriguing dline prospect in this class, imo. 

He isn't prototypical but if you have a staff that has a clear plan for his development and usage, I think he could be a monster. 

Agreed. There is a bit of a higher risk/reward factor there, but I have no doubts that Pees would see him as a potential game wrecker along that DL. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Secondary may not be as troublesome as it seemed. TB just won with a secondary ranked towards the bottom.  The first question is what scheme will be ran. Last i know he was a 3-4 guy that ran a t

I know we’ve got needs in our secondary but IMHO this has been the biggest problem on this team.  We’ve got Grady and a bunch of scrubs.     We don’t have the money to grab anyone to help him i

Do you really need one though? Years ago that may have been the case but I wouldn't think it's a true necessity these days. If so, one can definitely be found via the draft and FA

1 minute ago, Summerhill said:

I just watched his tape against Ole Miss after never really thinking about him before. I like what I see. He doesn't dominate every play, but he uses his hands great. He doesn't let offensive linemen get a hold of him and is very good with swim and rip moves to disengage and get upfield. 

Yeah he seems to be top of the DT class, but prior to about his last 4-5 games he was just a big body. Then he seemed to turn it on a bit.

2 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

He's still the most intriguing dline prospect in this class, imo. 

He isn't prototypical but if you have a staff that has a clear plan for his development and usage, I think he could be a monster. 

He can be developed into a phenomenal pass rusher, especially if you use him the way TJ Watt is used, as i mentioned about Fowler earlier. 

2 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Yeah he is one of those guys that looks good, but he could go either way.

He's a DE though. Not an interior guy.

Conversation isn't only about interior. He can play traditional DE or stand up 

8 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I don't want to trade down as far as NE or even SF although SF might be the stopping point. 

In the mock I am doing, their seems to be significant drop off around pick 11, maybe 10 if you throw in some character concerns. That's the first drop off. Then there's another at the end of the first and early 2nd. 

I feel the first drop is after Sewell and Chase. 

1 minute ago, celtiksage said:

Yeah he seems to be top of the DT class, but prior to about his last 4-5 games he was just a big body. Then he seemed to turn it on a bit.

That's the worrisome thing. He can't even point to previous years to say he has a solid track record. It was very literally the last handful of games that he showed anything. 

12 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

One name to watch is Greg Rousseau. He opted out this season but before opting out was considered one of the best in the nation. Not sure how opting out impacted him. 

Yeah I certainly can’t fault him for doing that.  I believe his problem will be that he won’t be anywhere near football shape.  He probably won’t have any impact until 2022.

1 minute ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Yeah I certainly can’t fault him for doing that.  I believe his problem will be that he won’t be anywhere near football shape.  He probably won’t have any impact until 2022.

That's even better. If he falls, you lock up a player who was considered a top 10 talent a year ago. But also keep in mind, there's a lot of top players who opted out so they will be in the same boat. Teams are going to get some great players at great value

8 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

That's the worrisome thing. He can't even point to previous years to say he has a solid track record. It was very literally the last handful of games that he showed anything. 

At least in his case he is only 3 years out of high school and played behind a bunch of pros in 2019. I worry a lot more about players who don't pop until they're 4th or 5th year seniors despite steady playing time before that. 

2 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

At least in his case he is only 3 years out of high school and played behind a bunch of pros in 2019. I worry a lot more about players who don't pop until they're 4th or 5th year seniors despite steady playing time before that. 

Very true, but I'm not risking a high pick on someone with so little track record. I'm betting teams will be thinking the same. I could easily see him slipping to day two.

If that happens, then I think he becomes a better value pick. 

1 hour ago, Godzilla1985 said:

I know we’ve got needs in our secondary but IMHO this has been the biggest problem on this team.  We’ve got Grady and a bunch of scrubs.  

We don’t have the money to grab anyone to help him in FA.  My question is can it be fixed this year?  Is the DLine class this year really as weak as it seems?  
 What is your plan?

I’d try to draft either McNeill or Wilson at DT. Maybe Rousseau or Basham at DE. We need to try to trade down and add some picks to pull this off.

Keep in mind if we do move toward a more 3-4 base, it is often easier to get the OLB type edge guys than the true 4-3 DE guys.  If we're multiple, we need both, but since Pees likes to blitz to create pressure, it makes it less of a necessity to go after those "you have to get there with the front 4" types.  

Don't be surprised if we don't take secondary high -- maybe even corner then safety in the first couple of rounds if the right players fall.  I'm not saying we won't take a true edge guy.  Just that I think they'll value versatility over a true 4-3 fire breathing DE.

1 hour ago, Godzilla1985 said:

I know we’ve got needs in our secondary but IMHO this has been the biggest problem on this team.  We’ve got Grady and a bunch of scrubs.  

We don’t have the money to grab anyone to help him in FA.  My question is can it be fixed this year?  Is the DLine class this year really as weak as it seems?  
 What is your plan?

We are definitely not set on the Dline at all.

I wouldn’t even blink if we drafted two Edge & two DT’s this year.

But I realize we need help elsewhere too.

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I’d try to draft either McNeill or Wilson at DT. Maybe Rousseau or Basham at DE. We need to try to trade down and add some picks to pull this off.

Wilson is the BIG wild card in this draft. I can honestly see him going top 15, or being a third round pick. His workouts are going to be huge for his bank account. 

Man, if I could get Rousseau in the first and follow it with Wilson at 2? I'd be doing a Kermit celebration in my living room. I like both guys a lot, but I'd be just as excited to find out our new staff is going to throw the kitchen sink at building our DL for a change. 

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Secondary may not be as troublesome as it seemed. TB just won with a secondary ranked towards the bottom. 

The first question is what scheme will be ran. Last i know he was a 3-4 guy that ran a ton of nickel. Runs a ton of stunts. If that's the case, that may benefit who's already on the roster, even Fowler. Foye would benefit as well in his scheme. The biggest issue would be players staying healthy

You can do it both ways. Judging off Pees past stops though, he tends to run a much more complex look up front and very simple looks (albeit with disguise) in the back. He likes to blitz from all over and stunt up front, relying more on intelligence on the DL than sheer talent. Because of all of this, I do feel like we could be better with an average front 4 and great secondary than with a great front 4 and average secondary...but it really depends on how they evaluate the team's existing talent. And dude is flexible, so it might be completely different.

He definitely isn't a strict 3-4/4-3 guy though. Lots of nickel but that's everyone in the NFL. His philosophy might be a bit more important when looking at him, and that's what makes me think he'll prioritize the secondary and linebackers (already got talented LBs thankfully)

3 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

We are definitely not set on the Dline at all.

I wouldn’t even blink if we drafted two Edge & two DT’s this year.

But I realize we need help elsewhere too.

The DTs should probably come from free agency. Nixon maybe if we go 2nd round. Maybe USC and Washington have a second round guy. This year's DT class seems to be 4th round talent. Even Barmore is showing high because there is so little talent at the DT position.

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Keep in mind if we do move toward a more 3-4 base, it is often easier to get the OLB type edge guys than the true 4-3 DE guys.  If we're multiple, we need both, but since Pees likes to blitz to create pressure, it makes it less of a necessity to go after those "you have to get there with the front 4" types.  

Don't be surprised if we don't take secondary high -- maybe even corner then safety in the first couple of rounds if the right players fall.  I'm not saying we won't take a true edge guy.  Just that I think they'll value versatility over a true 4-3 fire breathing DE.

Very true. So, to shift a little to that sort of second level defender, what do you guys think of Chazz Surratt? He's very raw, being a converted QB, but I look at that film, and he's all over the place. 

I'd also note a guy like Ronnie Perkins might fit in that scheme as well. 

1 minute ago, Francis York Morgan said:

You can do it both ways. Judging off Pees past stops though, he tends to run a much more complex look up front and very simple looks (albeit with disguise) in the back. He likes to blitz from all over and stunt up front, relying more on intelligence on the DL than sheer talent. Because of all of this, I do feel like we could be better with an average front 4 and great secondary than with a great front 4 and average secondary...but it really depends on how they evaluate the team's existing talent. And dude is flexible, so it might be completely different.

He definitely isn't a strict 3-4/4-3 guy though. Lots of nickel but that's everyone in the NFL. His philosophy might be a bit more important when looking at him, and that's what makes me think he'll prioritize the secondary and linebackers (already got talented LBs thankfully)

interesting. Now it's a wonder of do you pair Terrell with a veteran outside or keep working with Sheff and Oli. Patrick Peterson is about to be free. Honestly i don't want him but just throwing that name out there because you know it's coming. 

But I agree. The talent already on roster may be enough to work with.