I know we’ve got needs in our secondary but IMHO this has been the biggest problem on this team.  We’ve got Grady and a bunch of scrubs.  

We don’t have the money to grab anyone to help him in FA.  My question is can it be fixed this year?  Is the DLine class this year really as weak as it seems?  
 What is your plan?

Edited by Godzilla1985
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Secondary may not be as troublesome as it seemed. TB just won with a secondary ranked towards the bottom.  The first question is what scheme will be ran. Last i know he was a 3-4 guy that ran a t

I know we’ve got needs in our secondary but IMHO this has been the biggest problem on this team.  We’ve got Grady and a bunch of scrubs.     We don’t have the money to grab anyone to help him i

Do you really need one though? Years ago that may have been the case but I wouldn't think it's a true necessity these days. If so, one can definitely be found via the draft and FA

Secondary may not be as troublesome as it seemed. TB just won with a secondary ranked towards the bottom. 

The first question is what scheme will be ran. Last i know he was a 3-4 guy that ran a ton of nickel. Runs a ton of stunts. If that's the case, that may benefit who's already on the roster, even Fowler. Foye would benefit as well in his scheme. The biggest issue would be players staying healthy

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Secondary may not be as troublesome as it seemed. TB just won with a secondary ranked towards the bottom. 

The first question is what scheme will be ran. Last i know he was a 3-4 guy that ran a ton of nickel. Runs a ton of stunts. If that's the case, that may benefit who's already on the roster, even Fowler. Foye would benefit as well in his scheme. The biggest issue would be players staying healthy

It sounds like Pees has said he is going to be flexible and the scheme will be dictated by the personnel and situations in game.  I don’t feel we have a true monster that can be a NT to run a 3-4 effectively. 

5 minutes ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

I'm hoping pro days and combines will uncover some defensive talent. I think all mocks until then are just for entertainment anyway.

I know Rousseau has been mocked a couple of times but I’m not keen on getting a guy that didn’t play this past year (not that I blame him).  People aren’t too high on  Payne here either.

I think you’re 100% where I am.  Need to get a Sleeper in the 2nd or 3rd. 

4 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

It sounds like Pees has said he is going to be flexible and the scheme will be dictated by the personnel and situations in game.  I don’t feel we have a true monster that can be a NT to run a 3-4 effectively. 

Do you really need one though? Years ago that may have been the case but I wouldn't think it's a true necessity these days. If so, one can definitely be found via the draft and FA

It's why I've been lobbying for Suh for years. In the modern NFL, everything is about up front pressure. The offenses rely so much on timing now, having a DL that can move the QB especially up the gut, is the most important thing we could do to have more success on defense.

This is another reason I wish trading a player would send his cap hit to a different team, or at the least you'd just pay the difference. If JJ Watt is really on the block, a trade of Julio for him would be ideal for us. But that's a CBA flaw to talk about later.

As far as the draft goes, I imagine some 6-10 year vets will emerge over the years from this crop, but there just isn't the star power. Some people love Barmore, but frankly, I don't see it. I'd rather wait til round 2 and take McNeil or maybe third and get Nixon if he's there. 

In the end, I'm betting any immediate improvement along the line will come via FA. 

3 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Pees runs a hybrid scheme that uses more 3-4 principles and personnel.

He used a lot of 4-3 Under during his time with the Ravens. Used Suggs more as a hand in the dirt 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB. Will run mostly nickel regardless though.

Don't be surprised if the Falcons defense is listed as a 3-4 on paper, but that won't be true.

7 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Correct. No one has had a "monster" at NT for the 3-4 since Vince Wilfork circa 2014 and Casey Hampton and others before him back when teams ran 2-gap 3-4s. Now everyone runs 1-gap upfield 3-4s and most any NT is fine. 

Just now, Summerhill said:

Correct. No one has had a "monster" at NT for the 3-4 since Vince Wilfork circa 2014 and Casey Hampton and others before him back when teams ran 2-gap 3-4s. Now everyone runs 1-gap upfield 3-4s and most any NT is fine. 

Yeah I was trying to think of one and can't really think of one. I think lining Marlon and Grady up at both ends spots and plug the middle with a capable NT, the front 7 can eat and Fowler can *possibly* reach the potential he was signed to reach

As to the original question, if this draft is thought to be weak at DL, you have two options to try and find value.

1. Trade down to acquire more picks and more swings at the plate. 
  2. Focus on prospects with incomplete resumes who could surprise you. You may not like the fact that Greg Rousseau only played 1 year of college football but if he played in 2020 and was awesome, he'd be a top 5 pick. Maybe he can be that guy. People may not like that Jaelen Phillips was too injured to play football in 2018 and 2019, but if he was healthy, he would probably be a top 15 pick. Maybe he can be that guy. To get the ultimate reward, sometimes you have to take a risk. 
2 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

As to the original question, if this draft is thought to be weak at DL, you have two options to try and find value.

1. Trade down to acquire more picks and more swings at the plate. 
  2. Focus on prospects with incomplete resumes who could surprise you. You may not like the fact that Greg Rousseau only played 1 year of college football but if he played in 2020 and was awesome, he'd be a top 5 pick. Maybe he can be that guy. People may not like that Jaelen Phillips was too injured to play football in 2018 and 2019, but if he was healthy, he would probably be a top 15 pick. Maybe he can be that guy. To get the ultimate reward, sometimes you have to take a risk. 

I’m on the trade down train myself.  Ideally I’d love for NE to trade up with us.  That would net us a decent haul.  

15 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

I’m on the trade down train myself.  Ideally I’d love for NE to trade up with us.  That would net us a decent haul.  

I don't want to trade down as far as NE or even SF although SF might be the stopping point. 

In the mock I am doing, their seems to be significant drop off around pick 11, maybe 10 if you throw in some character concerns. That's the first drop off. Then there's another at the end of the first and early 2nd. 

I also think Pitts falls in the draft. Probably won't get past the Giants, but the other teams (except Philly who needs CB and OL even more than TE) have some glaring holes over the TE position. Although a smart team might take Pitts and fill those holes in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

44 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I could not understand why quinn stopped running stunts with the line. They are and were so athletic especially with grady.

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

One name to watch is Greg Rousseau. He opted out this season but before opting out was considered one of the best in the nation. Not sure how opting out impacted him. 

He's still the most intriguing dline prospect in this class, imo. 

He isn't prototypical but if you have a staff that has a clear plan for his development and usage, I think he could be a monster. 

5 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

One name to watch is Greg Rousseau. He opted out this season but before opting out was considered one of the best in the nation. Not sure how opting out impacted him. 

Yeah he is one of those guys that looks good, but he could go either way.

He's a DE though. Not an interior guy.

5 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

I like Barmore out of Bama

I just watched his tape against Ole Miss after never really thinking about him before. I like what I see. He doesn't dominate every play, but he uses his hands great. He doesn't let offensive linemen get a hold of him and is very good with swim and rip moves to disengage and get upfield. 

Just now, red falcon said:

I could not understand why quinn stopped running stunts with the line. They are and were so athletic especially with grady.

When you have athleticism, you gotta use it. The league has evolved in more than enough ways. Trying to run traditional 4 man rushes against 5 linemen isn't the way unless you got Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Bruce Smith and John Randle on your line lol