Who Is The Greatest Winner In Professional Sports History

There are so many greats that come to mind.  Whether it’s Jordan or Russell, Brady or Rice, Messi or Pele, Hogan or Michael’s, Gretzky or Lemieux, Ruth or DiMaggio...the list has many names and there really is no right or wrong answer.

But for my money, the greatest champion in sports history is Maurice Richard, winner of 9 NHL titles and a man who overcame tremendous obstacles along the way.  Was the All Time points leader by a wide margin when he retired.  A man so revered that 20,000 angry Canadians rioted upon his suspension.  Here is a quote that properly sums up Maurice Richard

The great Nelson Mandela said, “Sport has the power to change the world,” and sometimes, it takes an icon like Maurice Richard to stand up for his fans. Not only will Richard be forever remembered in the hockey world, he’ll forever be a hero in the Province of Quebec.

So who is your choice as greatest champion?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali   No one else stood alone, took on all competitors and battled society for the good of all. No one comes close.

Robert Horry

Secretariat. Won the Belmont by 31 lengths.

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali

No one else stood alone, took on all competitors and battled society for the good of all.

No one comes close.

Can't really argue with this. Ali was a champion inside and outside of the ring.

Other than that I would say MJ and include Roger Federer. Tennis is a young man's game. To still be competing and winning titles at 35+ years old is amazing.

14 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Gretzky.  No one has ever dominated one of the big four sports like he did.  

I put Jordan and Brady one notch below.   Neither dominated talent wise like Gretzky (Jordan came close at his peak) but they have that psycho-level competitiveness

In team sports, nobody comes close to dominating the record books like Gretzky.  Nobody.  Gretzky holds or shares 60 NHL records.  He could have never scored a single goal and would still be the all time points leader

I love this Gretzky fact:

Gretzky Scored 378 Goals in His Final Season of Pee Wee Hockey

In Canada, young kids often put on their first pair of skates at a very early age. Gretzky became one of those kids when he began skating at the age of two.

It didn't take long for the Great One to develop his skills on the ice. In his final year of Pee Wee hockey, he scored an astounding 378 goals despite his lack of size and strength at the time. This goal scoring total is still a record for that age level and probably will never be broken.He 

11 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Gretzky.  No one has ever dominated one of the big four sports like he did.  

I put Jordan and Brady one notch below.   Neither dominated talent wise like Gretzky (Jordan came close at his peak) but they have that psycho-level competitiveness

Non hockey fans just don't realize how amazing Gretzky was

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

In team sports, nobody comes close to dominating the record books like Gretzky.  Nobody.  He could have never scored a single goal and would still be the all time points leader by a wide margin

Babe Ruth gets overlooked today, but when he retired with 714 HRs in 1935, second on the list was Lou Gehrig, who had about 370 by then.  People forget that

6 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Babe Ruth gets overlooked today, but when he retired with 714 HRs in 1935, second on the list was Lou Gehrig, who had about 370 by then.  People forget that

714 HR’s is incredible, and Babe is the GOAT for baseball and the 2nd most dominant player in sports history, but Gretzky’s dominance  was just different.  By the end of his career he accumulated nearly 1,000 more points than 2nd place all time.  That’s staggering.  And 92 goals in a season will never be touched

15 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

That horse ran the Kentucky Derby in under 2 minutes—a record that still stands almost 50 years later

The crazy thing was he started way back in that race, and didn't make his break until near the end. Sham ( no slouch of a horse ) had been leading when Secretariat made his move. Both horses broke the track record in fact so Secretariat didn't win against a weak field.

He ran each quarter faster than the one before so he was constantly accelerating throughout the race. Insane!

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

714 HR’s is incredible, and Babe is the GOAT for baseball, but Gretzky was different.  By the end of his career he accumulated nearly 1,000 more points than 2nd place all time.  That’s staggering.  And 92 goals in a season will never be touched

Agreed.   Plus the NHL was a more mature league by the 1970s than the American League in the 1920s.  Drafts, minor leagues, etc.   Ruth wouldn’t dominate today like he did then.   Heck he’d probably just be a very good DH, like David Ortiz.  He figured something out before everyone else which made him great.  

One time I tried to figure out how far back you could go to find an athlete who’s talent would still be at a dominant level in today’s world.   I came up with Ted Williams, Jim Brown, Wilt and Rocket Richard.   Their ability transcends eras.  

Just now, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Agreed.   Plus the NHL was a more mature league by the 1970s than the American League in the 1920s.  Drafts, minor leagues, etc.   Ruth wouldn’t dominate today like he did then.   Heck he’d probably just be a very good DH, like David Ortiz.  He figured something out before everyone else which made him great.  

One time I tried to figure out how far back you could go to find an athlete who’s talent would still be at a dominant level in today’s world.   I came up with Ted Williams, Jim Brown, Wilt and Rocket Richard.   Their ability transcends eras.  

Ted Williams was just insane. Lost something like 4-5 years in two wars. My dad is a big Red Sox fan so Teddy is his jam LOL.