Jump to content

Last night's game was proof that the OL matters the most.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mahomes got pressured a SB record 29 times last night. Injuries are a part of the game, so you have to build depth, or atleast try. With that being said, Im warming up to the idea of taking Penei

The Bucs D beat out 3 potential hall of fame quarterbacks and former super bowl mvps in the playoffs.   Not saying the o line is not important, but that D line being dominant makes it easier

This debate always goes both ways. Build a complete team. Start with the trenches and continue to put priority on it. 

Just now, NorthGaBoy said:

You know, I was thinking this morning about how the Bucs improved this season.  They were not that good early on.  And, I thought about what caused this.  Clearly, it took good players, good coaching, good game plans, but there seemed to be more to it.  I think knowing Tom Brady was their QB simply got them believing at a higher level. 

Takes some time for those new players to mesh and get on the same page schematically as well

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

You could argue White is benefiting from incredible talent around himself. David is a beast no doubt. They basically unleashed anyone in that front 7 they wanted. What is key is the mastermind; Bowles and hopefully Pees for us, and seeing how existing players fit and where the unit needs shoring up.

Foye and Deion could stand to add a little more weight but it’s not as drastic as that, IMO. Foye was easily 230+ this past year. Devin White ain’t 250+.

You're right I may have overstated White's size. He was 237 lbs at his Combine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NorthGaBoy said:

I think 90% of this board understands and agrees.  Those who do not agree are extremely active.  They make repetitive threads and jump on other threads calling the rest of us morons.  I am not certain at this point they do not see the truth.  You know, there are personalities that require attention and will go to any lengths to get it.

Great point NorthGaBoy.  Those who carry hatred in their hearts burn with the desire to spread it to others via lies & propaganda.  It's always been that way.  But in the end, the good guys win.  It's biblical.  The battle has already been won.  The fact that it manifests itself on this board too is not surprising.  People in the world are carnal & flawed & lost.  None of the hatred takes me by surprise.  I fight it & always will.  

I despise liars & manipulators & deceivers.  It's Satanic & comes from the pit of the enemy.  You see it everywhere. On this board, at work, on social media, in families, in politics... everywhere.  

If you can break through that hate, it's liberating in every way.  I am simply trying to just be honest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

So yes. Over the years Tampa has been adding to their d-line.

No one is 100% when it comes to dline acquisition. The key is you keep trying. You don't draft Grady Jarrett, Vic Beasley, and Takk McKinnley and say 'we're good.' Even when you are good you keep adding.

Poe was a solid pickup in 2017. From a personnel standpoint that may have been the best Falcon defense under Quinn's tenure. The issue was he was only there for a year because the Falcons thought they couldn't afford him.

Turner was great. The problem was by the time the Falcons got to the playoffs Turner was out of gas.... and the Falcons had 1 guy that could rush the passer, (didn't even have that in 2012).

So yes the Falcons need a running game but in order to win in the post-season you need to be able to disrupt the other guy passing the ball. The 2010 Greenbay Massacre is the perfect example.

 

 

Valid points. Definitely have to strike a balance but like yeah Takk and Vic didn’t do jack.

The 2017 defense wasn’t even that good. They were great in the RZ. Couldn’t get off the field between the 20s and saw a step back in sacks/turnovers from 2016; IIRC.

Yes, keep adding. Issue was what we got wasn’t even that good. TJ probably doesn’t go off as much here but c’mon. DFJ came in here and became VB...can’t believe I wanted to ignore the red flags last offseason. He is a good run defender though but he requires less contested presssures/sacks on the QB given his numbers in LA...

I’m down for going after Lawson this offseason as a better value addition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

You're right I may have overstated White's size. He was 237 lbs at his Combine. 

It’s true that Foye was closer to a massive SS than a full time LB when we drafted him. Tweener guy that fell because of playing at Yale. If he can hold 230+ he’ll be fine. Need more talent on the defense tho. Just build.

Edit: it’s also true White may have bulked some since combine and is over 240...but again guys can put on solid 10 LBs or take it off with proper diet/nutrition help...what does the DC want? Have a clear vision and execute the plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NorthGaBoy said:

You know, I was thinking this morning about how the Bucs improved this season.  They were not that good early on.  And, I thought about what caused this.  Clearly, it took good players, good coaching, good game plans, but there seemed to be more to it.  I think knowing Tom Brady was their QB simply got them believing at a higher level. 

No doubt.  None.  His presence was one of the biggest dynamic factors.  I mean Tampa just won it all.  Against huge odds.  Amazing but not surprising.  What a huge accomplishment for that organization.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Valid points. Definitely have to strike a balance but like yeah Takk and Vic didn’t do jack.

The 2017 defense wasn’t even that good. They were great in the RZ. Couldn’t get off the field between the 20s and saw a step back in sacks/turnovers from 2016; IIRC.

Yes, keep adding. Issue was what we got wasn’t even that good. TJ probably doesn’t go off as much here but c’mon. DFJ came in here and became VB...can’t believe I wanted to ignore the red flags last offseason. He is a good run defender though but he requires less contested presssures/sacks on the QB given his numbers in LA...

I’m down for going after Lawson this offseason as a better value addition.

There were warning signs with DFJ... like everywhere else he didn't play with Aaron Donald.

DFJ was a 1000% Quinn signing.

Agreed 2017 D wasn't even that good compared to other NFL defenses but when it comes to Quinn's Falcons....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Just a horrible game plan. Did they even try to help those o linemen

I mean once the game got lopsided...but ya they tried shorter throws too and it didn’t work. Tampa was built to use this strategy and why wouldn’t they with KC down their OTs? Just a recipe for disaster. We shoulda put 30+ on this defense in our first meeting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I mean once the game got lopsided...but ya they tried shorter throws too and it didn’t work. Tampa was built to use this strategy and why wouldn’t they with KC down their OTs? Just a recipe for disaster. We shoulda put 30+ on this defense in our first meeting.

I have no idea why the Chiefs didn’t try to run it more in the 1st half.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

It's funny all of the folks talking about how awesome the TB defensive line was last night without acknowledging the scrubs playing on the KC OL. Remember when Beasley had like 5 sacks against that scrub Broncos tackle?

Bucs were tied for #4 in total sacks for the regular season. They weren't Vic Beasley beating Ty Sambrailo. They were Von Miller beating Mike Remmers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I was waiting for this post. lol. What last night showed is you need defense to win the championship. Brady wouldn't be in the SB if not for Tampa Defense bailing him out in second half of the NFCG after throwing 3 Interceptions. If Chiefs had defense to stop TB, they wouldn't need to pass or put the OL in that situation. 

You can't have backups at multiple positions on OL with star backups. Lot of folks like Swewell here but I don't know if I see value at #4 given this team doesn't have competent starters at multiple positions. 

I'll just say this: You're both right. 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I have no idea why the Chiefs didn’t try to run it more in the 1st half.

I mean they aren’t as well built to run. Bucs were a formidable matchup vs that, too. At some point, they’d have to throw. Tampa was on top of everything. Once it was a 2 score game, Tampa just turned it up a notch on Defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I mean they aren’t as well built to run. Bucs were a formidable matchup vs that, too. At some point, they’d have to throw. Tampa was on top of everything. Once it was a 2 score game, Tampa just turned it up a notch on Defense.

True but it’s easier to run block than pass protect. Even if the run isn’t working you still have to keep doing it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

"BE A MAN" 😂😂😂. That was awesome.

Yeah it was. In looking at this again those first two security guards in red might need to retire. Also I think I remember this happening a few years ago and a player decked the guy with a forearm shiver. Does anyone else remember that or did I dream it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...