Last night's game was proof that the OL matters the most.

Mahomes got pressured a SB record 29 times last night. Injuries are a part of the game, so you have to build depth, or atleast try.

With that being said, Im warming up to the idea of taking Penei Sewell at 4. TB took Tristan Weirf and it worked out well for them. I know we have Jake at LT and McGary at RT. Reshuffling the OL with that much talent is a good problem to have. Helps the run game and protect Matt. If we are sticking it out with Matt, we better build a OL for him. He is a play action QB, so the run gane is vital, and Penei Sewell upgrades this OL.

Edited by lju713
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mahomes got pressured a SB record 29 times last night. Injuries are a part of the game, so you have to build depth, or atleast try. With that being said, Im warming up to the idea of taking Penei

The Bucs D beat out 3 potential hall of fame quarterbacks and former super bowl mvps in the playoffs.   Not saying the o line is not important, but that D line being dominant makes it easier

This debate always goes both ways. Build a complete team. Start with the trenches and continue to put priority on it. 

I was waiting for this post. lol. What last night showed is you need defense to win the championship. Brady wouldn't be in the SB if not for Tampa Defense bailing him out in second half of the NFCG after throwing 3 Interceptions. If Chiefs had defense to stop TB, they wouldn't need to pass or put the OL in that situation. 

You can't have backups at multiple positions on OL with star backups. Lot of folks like Swewell here but I don't know if I see value at #4 given this team doesn't have competent starters at multiple positions. 

9 minutes ago, lju713 said:

Mahomes got pressured a SB record 29 times last night. Injuries are a part of the game, so you have to build depth, or atleast try.

With that being said, Im warming up to the idea of taking Penei Sewell at 4. TB took Tristan Weirf and it worked out well for them. I know we have Jake at LT and McGary at RT. Reshuffling the OL with that much talent is a good problem to have. Helps the run game and protect Matt. If he are sticking it out with Matt, we better build a OL for him. He is a play action QB, so the run gane is vital, and Penei Sewell upgrades this OL.

So it was the Chief's offensive line and not the Buc's defensive line??? or secondary?

13 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I was waiting for this post. lol. What last night showed is you need defense to win the championship. Brady wouldn't be in the SB if not for Tampa Defense bailing him out in second half of the NFCG after throwing 3 Interceptions. If Chiefs had defense to stop TB, they wouldn't need to pass or put the OL in that situation. 

You can't have backups at multiple positions on OL with star backups. Lot of folks like Swewell here but I don't know if I see value at #4 given this team doesn't have competent starters at multiple positions. 

If we can't trade back who do you think would be BPA? I think it would be Sewell if he's still there.

I really would like an impact defensive player at 4, but I'm not sure who that could be.

11 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

The Bucs D beat out 3 potential hall of fame quarterbacks and former super bowl mvps in the playoffs.

Not saying the o line is not important, but that D line being dominant makes it easier for the defense to impose its will. 

14 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

9 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

So it was the Chief's offensive line and not the Buc's defensive line??? or secondary?

Yep, Bucs got after Mahomes with just a lot of 4 man rushes.

Bucs interior d-line constantly flushed Mahomes out of the pocket while their edge rushers were great at not over-pursuing him and getting after him.

Mahomes didn't have time to even drop back on a lot of plays before having to bail out of the pocket.

2 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

I think we can all agree that it's a combination of both the DL and OL. With that being said, there's no DL player worthy of the 4th pick right now so it only makes sense for the OP to focus on the OL.

That's saying before any prodays and private workouts.

You'll start seeing more defenders rise up draft boards after blowing up workouts and forcing scouts, GMs, and coaches to further look at their game tape.

14 minutes ago, slick0ne said:

If we can't trade back who do you think would be BPA? I think it would be Sewell if he's still there.

I really would like an impact defensive player at 4, but I'm not sure who that could be.

I tend to think FA and Draft as one. I am not big fan of accumulating star players for sake of BPA or higher rating. Look at Philly Dream team, what got them. Anyways here are my thoughts. 

Secondary: Grab Surtain, AJ, Sign a FS FA for next 3-4 years, May Desmond King or a good NB for 3 years. That should set the secondary for at least 3 years. Surtain and AJ probably longer. 

LB: Parsons may be with trade down? He can be a good part of the LB group and may be as hybrid player under Pees. 

OL: Does AS think he needs elite talent? If so, how does Sewell fit? My biggest concern with moving OT to OG is height and center of gravity. 

DL: I am not sure if there is any one worth at #4. Focus in FA.

WR/QB: Luxury picks. 

2 minutes ago, lju713 said:

Had the Chiefs OL been healthy it would've been a different game. TB defense was good this post season but not dominant. Look at the Washington game. They lose that game if a vet QB was starting for Washington

I don't think it would've been that much of a difference.

The Chiefs were missing their starting OTs, but their interior o-line was also getting handled in every which way possible as well.

15 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

This debate always goes both ways.

Build a complete team. Start with the trenches and continue to put priority on it. 

This is the easiest and honestly the only way to building a consistently good to great team. 

You control the trenches, you control the game. End of story.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone watches that game and thinks "we need more offense."

It's not that offense is unimportant.  But the reality is Tampa Bay's defense made that game REAL easy for their offense.  Brady went 3 and out a few times before they started moving the ball down the field.  The problem is, Mahomes did too.  And even when they drove it down they settled for a FG.

The refs helped out TB a lot in that last drive in the 1st half.  Embarrassingly so.  But that isn't why they won.  The Chiefs just didn't do a thing on offense because TB's defense was so good, and once Brady started scoring on the Chiefs, they were in catch-up mode, which is rarely a good thing against a competent defense.  They became one-dimensional.

My lessons from this game are multiple:

1). You need a complete team.  

2). Football is won in the trenches.

3). Elite defense usually sidelines elite offense.

4). The best QB in the world can't carry a team -- we need to put that nonsense to bed.

I'm fine going o-line at 4.  But I don't think we look at our team and say "wow, we must have an o-line to compete with the Bucs."  In fact, I think we need more defensive help, and a lot of it.

Free agency will tell us a lot about the direction of the team.  I'd expect us to fill some holes on the defense in FA, according to how Pees evaluates our team needs.

Tampa Bay's offensive line is a good example of using decent to good resources but definitely not great resources and getting maximum value. 

LT Donovan Smith: #34 pick in 2015 by Tampa

LG Ali Marpet: #61 pick in 2015 by Tampa

C Ryan Jensen: free agent signing from Baltimore

RG Aaron Stinnie: undrafted free agent originally signed with Tennessee playing in place of normal starter Alex Cappa 

RT Tristan Wirfs: #13 pick in 2020 by Bucs 

Long story short they only have one 1st round pick though Donovan Smith was a really high 2nd rounder. They hit on a couple day two picks. They only have one significant free agent addition. They had a complete nobody who did not drag down the rest of the players. 

This is how you are supposed to build a line while still maintaining a complete rest of the roster. You mostly use solid but not premium draft picks, sprinkle in a premium pick or two, and then coach the heck out of 1-2 journeymen. 

It's kind of ridiculous the way the Falcons have used their own 1st rounders and signed so many other 1st rounders and not gotten these kinds of results. 

10 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

That's saying before any prodays and private workouts.

You'll start seeing more defenders rise up draft boards after blowing up workouts and forcing scouts, GMs, and coaches to further look at their game tape.

You don't need pro days to know that Chase Young, Nick Bosa, Bradley Chubb, and Myles Garrett are top 5 picks. No one thinks there is anyone like that in this class. 

If there's one thing I've seen that has been consistent over the years is that if you want to be able to win you better be able to rush the passer.

I've seen so-so QBs and offenses win Superbowls with good pass rushes.

I've seen record setting offenses with HOF record breaking QBs lose because they faced a team with a much better pass ruch.

What I don't recall seeing is a Good/Great QB win a Superbowl with a mediocre defense and/or pass rush.

And when was the last time a team with 4 first round picks, all drafted by the same team, on the oline won the Superbowl?

3 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

You don't need pro days to know that Chase Young, Nick Bosa, Bradley Chubb, and Myles Garrett are top 5 picks. No one thinks there is anyone like that in this class. 

Without prodays and workouts players like Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack could've been closer to 2nd round picks and not top 10 picks.

5 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Tampa Bay's offensive line is a good example of using decent to good resources but definitely not great resources and getting maximum value. 

LT Donovan Smith: #34 pick in 2015 by Tampa

LG Ali Marpet: #61 pick in 2015 by Tampa

C Ryan Jensen: free agent signing from Baltimore

RG Aaron Stinnie: undrafted free agent originally signed with Tennessee playing in place of normal starter Alex Cappa 

RT Tristan Wirfs: #13 pick in 2020 by Bucs 

Long story short they only have one 1st round pick though Donovan Smith was a really high 2nd rounder. They hit on a couple day two picks. They only have one significant free agent addition. They had a complete nobody who did not drag down the rest of the players. 

This is how you are supposed to build a line while still maintaining a complete rest of the roster. You mostly use solid but not premium draft picks, sprinkle in a premium pick or two, and then coach the heck out of 1-2 journeymen. 

It's kind of ridiculous the way the Falcons have used their own 1st rounders and signed so many other 1st rounders and not gotten these kinds of results. 

The Falcons' problem is they wait until it's a problem and then throw the bank at it.  That's true of a lot of positions.  We burned 2 first rounders on DEs who got cut.  We spend high draft capital on corners a lot.

I'm hoping Fontenot will come in and evaluate talent and say "this guy can help us win" instead of "we have to get a corner in round 2."

13 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I tend to think FA and Draft as one. I am not big fan of accumulating star players for sake of BPA or higher rating. Look at Philly Dream team, what got them. Anyways here are my thoughts. 

Secondary: Grab Surtain, AJ, Sign a FS FA for next 3-4 years, May Desmond King or a good NB for 3 years. That should set the secondary for at least 3 years. Surtain and AJ probably longer. 

LB: Parsons may be with trade down? He can be a good part of the LB group and may be as hybrid player under Pees. 

OL: Does AS think he needs elite talent? If so, how does Sewell fit? My biggest concern with moving OT to OG is height and center of gravity. 

DL: I am not sure if there is any one worth at #4. Focus in FA.

WR/QB: Luxury picks. 

The plan for the secondary is solid. Would really like it if we go that route. Tampa has invested heavily in the secondary over the past few years and the are reaping the rewards. 

A trade down for Parsons would be nice too...Not worried about QB/WR too much this year I'm more concerned with defense and a run game.