Any chance the Falcons decide to extend Matt Ryan this off-season?

Do you guys think that there is any chance the Falcons decide to extend Matt Ryan's contract another year or two this off-season? Maybe Arthur Smith and Terry Fontenont decide that they want to keep Matt Ryan until he's 40. That way they can focus on building the roster and worry about drafting QB years down the road. Trubisky will probably be the backup quarterback. 

Edited by Falcons Fan MVP

41 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Do you guys think that there is any chance the Falcons decide to extend Matt Ryan's contract another year or two this off-season? Maybe Arthur Smith and Terry Fontenont decide that they want to keep Matt Ryan until he's 40. That way they can focus on building the roster and worry about drafting QB years down the road. Trubisky will probably be the backup quarterback. 

I'm really starting to hate you guys. It's cool that you don't think we should draft a QB, but throwing names like Trubisky around here is sad. 

38 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If TF and AS are entertaining keeping MR around until age 40, they need their heads examined. Pigeons are landing on this guy now during every pass play... and you think that will improve? It's the age of the mobile QB. The only statue that is effective today is named Brady. And there's only one of him. 

38 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Yes. I think they have to for us to get some cap relief. Not sure it's this year or after 2021, but it looks like it'll be necessary. Just extend him out to age 40 or 41.

That will just move the cap hit back. Then when you're tired of him, the dead money hit will be like $70 million.

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

In all honesty, no.  I'm a big time MR2 homer and I just don't see that happening.

30 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

I'm really starting to hate you guys. It's cool that you don't think we should draft a QB, but throwing names like Trubisky around here is sad. 

That's the name I heard could be our back up. Maybe Arthur Smith can help him become a solid back up that can win a couple of games if called upon.

35 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

If TF and AS are entertaining keeping MR around until age 40, they need their heads examined. Pigeons are landing on this guy now during every pass play... and you think that will improve? It's the age of the mobile QB. The only statue that is effective today is named Brady. And there's only one of him. 

The Falcons need a dangerous running back to help Matt Ryan. 

42 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

Once again you dont know the sport dude. It takes more than a qb to win super bowls. Yall keep screaming for a mobile QB when what we need is a o-line to protect Ryan and a defense. But lets get rid or Ryan because thats smart. Zero football IQ with some on this board. 

Yes. I believe we will see Ryan's contract extended with a significant chunk being shifted to a signing bonus. 

And I agree FFMVP, a dangerous RB makes Ryan much more dangerous. Couple that with Smith's run-heavy offense and I believe Ryan will thrive and put up MVP numbers. 

I cannot think of a single reason Ryan would negotiate anything this year through the end of next season. 
We aren’t going to win the conference next year but we will win more than last year which by all accounts is a success. Why would Ryan offer to make less money?  It’s not his fault entirely that he’s paid this much and weighted this much. There is no way he un-rings this bell. 

1 hour ago, ROMERO said:

Once again you dont know the sport dude. It takes more than a qb to win super bowls. Yall keep screaming for a mobile QB when what we need is a o-line to protect Ryan and a defense. But lets get rid or Ryan because thats smart. Zero football IQ with some on this board. 

Matt Ryan was almost as good as Tom Brady in 2016. Hopefully Arthur Smith can help him find that magic again.

8 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

I cannot think of a single reason Ryan would negotiate anything this year through the end of next season. 
We aren’t going to win the conference next year but we will win more than last year which by all accounts is a success. Why would Ryan offer to make less money?  It’s not his fault entirely that he’s paid this much and weighted this much. There is no way he un-rings this bell. 

It's Thomas Dimitroff, Dan Quinn and Dirk Koetter's fault the Falcons are struggling. They didn't do what they get paid to do. Although I'm not convinced Thomas Dimitroff was the problem other than a little bit of bad luck. I thought for sure Takk was a home run.

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I seriously doubt it.

Ryan would need to have another 2016 for the Falcons to extend him.

I guess everyone is forgetting his agent is a cold blooded killer and will not let his client take a home town discount.

I'm betting Smith and the Saints plant have already come up with a life after Ryan plan. Ryan has 2 years and then the brain trust gets massive cap relief to build the rest of the team.

After all Smith just came from a situation where they got rid of the franchise QB and had massive success with a cheap QB they brought in off the street. People need to really think about that.