Hawks Injury Update Thread, now for 2021-22 Season

jayu70

3 hours ago, jayu70 said:

8 weeks at least.

This is BS. The guy had a knee scope. He can walk the next day. He can be back to normal activity in a week. There is no risk of exacerbating this type of injury only a little pain as he fully recovers. The Emory staff is great, but they are ultra conservative and it is costing the teams wins. 

38 minutes ago, therawest said:

This is BS. The guy had a knee scope. He can walk the next day. He can be back to normal activity in a week. There is no risk of exacerbating this type of injury only a little pain as he fully recovers. The Emory staff is great, but they are ultra conservative and it is costing the teams wins. 

I'd rather take a cautious approach since he's a long term future asset, similar to what the Spurs did with Tim Duncan early in his career, and they were going into the players.

Jimmy Butler returned at exactly 6 weeks fdim his knee Meniscus surgery 2 years ago. So it may not be 8 weeks but he's not going to be back playing in a week or two.

8 hours ago, jayu70 said:

I'd rather take a cautious approach since he's a long term future asset, similar to what the Spurs did with Tim Duncan early in his career, and they were going into the players.

Jimmy Butler returned at exactly 6 weeks fdim his knee Meniscus surgery 2 years ago. So it may not be 8 weeks but he's not going to be back playing in a week or two.

It doesn’t make any sense to keep him out eight weeks. The surgery was performed to make the pain go away. He doesn't need to build back strength in his knee, he only has been out a week.  Once the swelling goes down in his knee in about a week, he will spend 7 weeks doing nothing to help himself get better as a basketball player. I have been giving the medical staff the benefit of the doubt for a while, but they have proven to go super conservative every time. Trae Young is the only one that is pushing his way back on the court despite what the medical staff says. 

15 hours ago, therawest said:

It doesn’t make any sense to keep him out eight weeks. The surgery was performed to make the pain go away. He doesn't need to build back strength in his knee, he only has been out a week.  Once the swelling goes down in his knee in about a week, he will spend 7 weeks doing nothing to help himself get better as a basketball player. I have been giving the medical staff the benefit of the doubt for a while, but they have proven to go super conservative every time. Trae Young is the only one that is pushing his way back on the court despite what the medical staff says. 

I'm no doctor but I've never seen an NBA player come back from meniscus sugery within 2 weeks much less 1 week. With all the running and jumping they do that is not a realistic expectation. 6 weeks is more the norm.

38 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

I'm no doctor but I've never seen an NBA player come back from meniscus sugery within 2 weeks much less 1 week. With all the running and jumping they do that is not a realistic expectation. 6 weeks is more the norm.

I hear you but Hawks medical staff said 8 to 10. And if Deandre allows them, they will push it to 10. I had this same procedure and although  I am not a professional athlete, the doc specifically told me not to rest it but to start walking and doing normal things as soon as possible because it helps remove scar tissue and callous build up from surgery. He will always have some level of pain because arthritis will develop. 
i want him to be around for the long haul too but I am just pointing a pattern i am seeing with the medical staff. 

On 2/10/2021 at 1:55 PM, therawest said:

I hear you but Hawks medical staff said 8 to 10. And if Deandre allows them, they will push it to 10. I had this same procedure and although  I am not a professional athlete, the doc specifically told me not to rest it but to start walking and doing normal things as soon as possible because it helps remove scar tissue and callous build up from surgery. He will always have some level of pain because arthritis will develop. 
i want him to be around for the long haul too but I am just pointing a pattern i am seeing with the medical staff. 

Where the **** is Kris Dunn?  The medical staff is slow walking these guys again. 

• jayu70 changed the title to Hawks Injury Update Thread, now for 2021-22 Season