1st Round Pick is Looking More Clear

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Consider these points: - AB and AS have talked about improving the run game and OL - They have talked about retaining Ryan - They still want to win now AND in the future - The only

Why would we take a LT when AS has proven he can maximise lesser talent on his Oline at the Titans. We don’t need elite talent along the line we just don’t we just need scheme diversity to help w

For Penei fans.

I think it was written just before he opted out of last Season.

Some good insights though.

PORTLAND, Ore. — Oregon’s offensive line participated in a Zoom meeting last month. Former Ducks lineman Geoff Schwartz was invited to join, and the current linemen had a chance to ask questions to a guy who played eight NFL seasons.

Penei Sewell had questions, of course.

I’m told he usually does.

But what’s surprised me, and some others, is that Sewell also has some critics. In fact, when I told Oregon coach Mario Cristobal about a recent discussion about it he said, “Critics? Last I checked, he’s projected No. 2 overall."

Cristobal was talking about the 2021 NFL draft.

I realized at some point early last season that Cristobal isn’t wired like most football coaches. I told anyone who would listen that Oregon’s coach might be thrilled, for example, if one of his players won the Heisman Trophy. But he’d be even more jazzed about an offensive lineman bringing home the Outland.

By the end of the season, most of us knew Sewell was going to win the award annually given to the best interior lineman in the country.

“The No. 1 thing,” Schwartz told me after that virtual meeting, "he wants to be better. He wants to be great.”

Schwartz is also a huge fan of Sewell. He’s studied film and marveled at how he runs off the ball when run blocking and how good Sewell is at using his hips, “and knowing when to extend his hips to get power through a run block or even a pass block.”

Which is why Schwartz was also baffled when he heard some people whispering about Sewell maybe being over-hyped. After all, he had the highest graded season (95.5) for a player at his position in Pro Football Focus history. But to be certain, Schwartz went back and watched film of Sewell’s performances in a few key games, including the Rose Bowl where he lined up against Wisconsin’s Zack Baun.

Baun, drafted 74th overall by the Saints, had 12.5 sacks last season. He also had 19.5 tackles for loss. But in the Rose Bowl against Oregon, he was quiet.

No sacks.

Not a single tackle for a loss.

It marked only the second time all season that the speed-rushing Baun didn’t either record a sack or a tackle for a loss in a game.

Still Schwartz pored over replays of every play, trying to find a weakness, or any explanation for anyone possibly being critical of Sewell. Finally, all the former NFL lineman was left with was that Oregon’s star lineman appeared to be feeling out Baun on the very first drop-back pass protection of the game.

It appeared Sewell took one play to carefully gauge Baun’s athleticism.

Schwartz said, "He was perfect after that.”

I took that question to Cristobal, too. I asked him what he made of players in general being nitpicked over the last couple of months. Quarterback Justin Herbert’s leadership was called into question. Linebacker Troy Dye’s desire to play became a talking point after he was drafted, despite playing hurt on multiple occasions. It feels like, without NBA, NHL and MLB games, the pundits have made sport of looking for any hint of defects in most of the prospects.

On Herbert, in particular, Cristobal said, “I think sometimes people mistake noise for leadership."

But what about Sewell?

I put Oregon’s left tackle third on my Heisman ballot last year. I wasn’t alone. The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman gave Sewell his No. 2 vote. Why not? Sewell was easily Oregon’s most dominant player. More impactful than even Herbert over the course of a Pac-12 title season.

So what’s next for Sewell? Lead his team to the College Football Playoff? Go win the Outland Trophy twice? Because only one player in college football history has won the award more than once. Not Orlando Pace or Joe Thomas or Ndamukong Suh, either. They all won, then went to the NFL. Only Nebraska’s Dave Rimington is a two-time Outland winner.

Sewell could be next. He could also make a Heisman finalist push. No offensive lineman has finished in the top 10 since 2001 (Bryant McKinnie was eighth). And Pace was fourth in 1996. Sewell could challenge both of those offensive lineman thresholds this season.

Cristobal said, “I’ve been lucky, had some great ones. He’s the best.”

One of the most interesting facets of this discussion lies in the possibilities at Oregon’s practices. Sewell will get to work across from a talented pass rusher, Kayvon Thibodeaux. The reps will be beneficial to both players, and also, give NFL scouts a chance to see them lined up across from each other.

Schwartz likes that Sewell wants to be better. In fact, that message became a talking point during that recent Zoom meeting he was invited to participate in. Sewell asked a couple of questions, and Schwartz stopped, and offered him some advice.

“Look, dude,” Schwartz said to Sewell, “your deal is going to be complacency. Can you make sure that each and every week you bring it? Because it’s going to be boring for you.”

I asked Cristobal what he thought about that.

The coach shot back: “Not in his DNA or mine to get bored with kicking (expletive)!"

As much as I've been wanting to get Surtain, if Sewell is the pick at #4, I would not be disappointed at all.  AS does want a good OL and last year the Titans drafted OT in the first round and this guy's projected as possibly the #1 rated BPA overall in some reports the highest rated OT in quite a few years.  We do need to address a lot of defensive needs and RB as well and there is decent depth as far as that goes. 

I know someone made a comparison to Joe Thomas which really isn't fair at this time but if he's half as good at JT was, then sign me up.  I think this is the kind of pick that gives us a a few extra rounds to wait on drafting a RB and address defensive needs although I'm high on trying to get Harris, we could 'settle' for Stevenson/Hubbard/Sermon pick around round 4. 

18 hours ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Consider these points:

- AB and AS have talked about improving the run game and OL

- They have talked about retaining Ryan

- They still want to win now AND in the future

- The only 2 Blue Chip QBs(Wilson and Lawrence) will more tham likely be gone. I think Wilson is QB1 BTW. Very impressive talent and tape...

- The OL struggled in both aspectscts in 2020. 

- Our QB of the future will need a LT to pair with him. 

I think Penei Sewell, who is the BPA in the entire draft, will be the pick at 4, and im ok with that. Hes the best LT prospect since Joe Thomas, and that worked out into a gold jacket LT.

Them we could either:

- Trade Jake

- Move Jake to RT and McGary to LG.

- Start Penei at RT for a couple years(unlikely)

- Move Jake to LG

Either way, partially solidifying our OL for the next decade is worth the pick. It also maximizes the protection our future QB1 will need. 

You have a good theory but if they go that way, it would probably be Slater that they pick.

He's as highly rated as Sewell but has much more position versatility. He could be a great LG forever or eventually kick out to tackle if there is a need.

Ok, but I don't see how this makes anything any clearer. Believe nothing you hear. It's just coach/owner speak. 

Its like buying a car. Why would I decrease my ability to negotiate by telling the dealer how much I have to spend and how much I love the car?  I'm just waiting to see what happens. 

I also want to say I don't know what folks judge players by. I don't understand how a guy that doesn't play good competition, loses to Coastal Carolina and most of the mid-tier top 25 teams he played is better than a guy that's been in the playoffs the last two years and beat the majority of the top 25 teams he has played. Fields is battle tested and his on the field resume says that. 

Imo, lets see what a new coaching staff can do with all the first round oline talent we already have before we pull the trigger on another first round onlineman.. Id rather give it a year and see if these guys can actually block in a working system than blowing a pick just to grab another first round lineman.. If these guys cant block this season.. Im down for blowing the line up and rebuilding..but my gut tells me they will look alot better under a competent coaching staff 

The current offensive line group will get a big boost just by getting away from Koetter. No need to trade Matthews as the saying goes - “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

With this said, Sewell is the only player I’d want to take at #4 (and I’m someone who prefers defense). If no Sewell at #4, then give us Surtain, Horn, Farley, Parsons, or Slater after moving down. 

Matthews-Sewell-Hennessy-Lindstrom-McGary all operating under Arthur Smith.

This is honestly bad*ss. Next, aside from drafting a RB and signing a veteran tight end...EVERYTHING else goes towards the defense.

Only on AFMB

The Falcons are going to have a MAJOR hole on the middle of the oline.

They have 2 first round picks at both tackle spots and one was taken a couple of years ago.

Now they have a top 5 pick for the first time in 2 decades and people want to draft another tackle....

While we’re at it why don’t we trade next years first so we can draft another WR?

On 2/7/2021 at 1:46 AM, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

I think thats least likely of all the scenarios. Adding in Sewell to LG until Matthews is gone. He would probably by mid season be a top 2-3 LG. 

Yeah I don't think this happens. Hopefully we trade back.

Jake is actually our most valuable OL based on contract value and production. He'll probably get a small extension to push that can down the road. Do it now before he's too old.

Then draft a real OC and let the rest fight for the LG slot. Or sign Ted Karras for less than what we paid Mack.

On 2/6/2021 at 9:37 PM, Ergo Proxy said:

Consider this: He ran the ball more than he likely will in Atlanta. We will most definitely throw more than the Titans did, but obviously not to the insane levels Dirk pushed. Think more Kyle or even Sark in 2017.

AS did hide a lot of the weaknesses in TEN; not just the OL which had injuries. It could also be why they got shut down once said OL hit the playoffs; or superior defense in other words.

This is about building the best team and not being afraid of upgrading if its a clear BPA/blue chip over a "nice prospect but not quite the same caliber"...assuming there is a cutoff for Sewell as an OL(specifically LT) compared to other OL and comparing that to Surtain/Parsons as prospects for CB/attacking front 7 defender.

What improves the roster the best short and long term?

Could be Sewelll...wasn't Jake a RT when he was drafted originally? You could totally move Kaleb to LG...in theory anyway. But, can't be afraid of the former regime having seemingly less-efficient usage. Long term > short term appearances (which could go a number of ways long term but you build in roster flexibility)...and if they intend on keeping Matt Ryan at QB...the OL is more important than a RB in of itself (IMO) with scheme to run the ball and ability to block more important than which back (as long as it isn't garbage).

McGary is too tall to play guard why do people keep wanting to move him to guard its not going to work

13 minutes ago, kenn.junior said:

McGary is too tall to play guard why do people keep wanting to move him to guard its not going to work

I don’t actually prefer that just throwing it out there in some short-term move if we got Sewell and preferred to keep him and Jake as OTs. McGary probably stays at RT. He did improve year 2. New scheme coming should help the entire OL. Sewell probably comes in at LG. I see him as a better OG than Jake who is more technician than power.

9 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I don’t actually prefer that just throwing it out there in some short-term move if we got Sewell and preferred to keep him and Jake as OTs. McGary probably stays at RT. He did improve year 2. New scheme coming should help the entire OL. Sewell probably comes in at LG. I see him as a better OG than Jake who is more technician than power.

that makes more sense then moving McGary to LG

4 hours ago, celtiksage said:

He's a versatile offensive lineman. He played both guard and tackle in college. He can play where he's needed. Or he can hit the road jack.

Now I'm gonna have that song in my head.

No way McGary plays G in the NFL. Dude is not built right. He is way to tall and will not have the leverage against DTs.

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

Then if we draft Sewell, he becomes our swing tackle and depth. No way he plays over Sewell or Matthews.

Thats why we don't waste a pick on Sewell. Not saying Sewell isn't better, but Matthews and McGary are fine and will be better in this new outside zone scheme. Upgrade somewhere that needs it.

1 hour ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Thats why we don't waste a pick on Sewell. Not saying Sewell isn't better, but Matthews and McGary are fine and will be better in this new outside zone scheme. Upgrade somewhere that needs it.

I agree. I'm really hoping we trade back with Denver or SF and let them have their QB. We can probably get a haul for any of the remaining QBs. I'm hoping Carolina doesn't trade up with Miami.