1st Round Pick is Looking More Clear

Consider these points:

- AB and AS have talked about improving the run game and OL

- They have talked about retaining Ryan

- They still want to win now AND in the future

- The only 2 Blue Chip QBs(Wilson and Lawrence) will more tham likely be gone. I think Wilson is QB1 BTW. Very impressive talent and tape...

- The OL struggled in both aspectscts in 2020. 

- Our QB of the future will need a LT to pair with him. 

I think Penei Sewell, who is the BPA in the entire draft, will be the pick at 4, and im ok with that. Hes the best LT prospect since Joe Thomas, and that worked out into a gold jacket LT.

Them we could either:

- Trade Jake

- Move Jake to RT and McGary to LG.

- Start Penei at RT for a couple years(unlikely)

- Move Jake to LG

Either way, partially solidifying our OL for the next decade is worth the pick. It also maximizes the protection our future QB1 will need. 

Only way we dont go sewell is if Micah Parsons or Patrick Surtain blownup at the combine AND sewell AND Wilson are odd the board AND a trade down doesnt happen.

So:

1) Sewell or Wilson(Wilson unlikely there at 4)

2) trade down for team loving fields AND sewell and wilson gone

3) no trade down available and sewell and wilson gone, so we go Micah Parsons to help our 3-4 defensive scheme or patrick surtain to pair with AJ Terrell. Zavem collins or Rousseau if they show out in pre draft events. 

BTW, I used to love Fields, but I have a lot of doubts with him.being a successful NFL QB. 

Why would we take a LT when AS has proven he can maximise lesser talent on his Oline at the Titans.

We don’t need elite talent along the line we just don’t we just need scheme diversity to help what we have.Remember what Koetter did isn’t what this line is necessarily good at.

I think it’s why there’s so much crap floating round the boards saying Ryan’s done because there thinking we are going to run the same old **** we did last year.

BPA another dart throwing in the dark exercise.

19 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Why would we take a LT when AS has proven he can maximise lesser talent on his Oline at the Titans.

We don’t need elite talent along the line we just don’t we just need scheme diversity to help what we have.Remember what Koetter did isn’t what this line is necessarily good at.

I think it’s why there’s so much crap floating round the boards saying Ryan’s done because there thinking we are going to run the same old **** we did last year.

Yep. He not only made Ty look competent but his third string backup. It’s unbelievable how Titans gave up like 25 sacks with a third string LT playing significant time.

That's one perspective. Here's a different one from Arthur Blank.

Cliff Notes: Blank would be "shocked" if Ryan and Julio weren't back for this coming season;

Blank acknowledges while Ryan and Julio will be back next season, the Falcons will be preparing for his succession at QB, quite possibly with this draft.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/04/falcons-arthur-blank-matt-ryan-julio-jones-nfl/?utm_source=falconswire&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos1headline&ats=d285247f76cb0c68eec4ee0c83dd0c50fa5f2a20476b6c9e14d9ce1617a18605

You can say that, you can create a narrative about numerous other positions on the team with things they've said like the post above me for example. If it was so clear nothing would stop the Bengals from attempting to trade with the Phins to nab Sewell, whatever the pick will be I don't expect them to let it be clear unless it's a smokescreen. 

2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Yep. He not only made Ty look competent but his third string backup. It’s unbelievable how Titans gave up like 25 sacks with a third string LT playing significant time.

Consider this: He ran the ball more than he likely will in Atlanta. We will most definitely throw more than the Titans did, but obviously not to the insane levels Dirk pushed. Think more Kyle or even Sark in 2017.

AS did hide a lot of the weaknesses in TEN; not just the OL which had injuries. It could also be why they got shut down once said OL hit the playoffs; or superior defense in other words.

This is about building the best team and not being afraid of upgrading if its a clear BPA/blue chip over a "nice prospect but not quite the same caliber"...assuming there is a cutoff for Sewell as an OL(specifically LT) compared to other OL and comparing that to Surtain/Parsons as prospects for CB/attacking front 7 defender.

What improves the roster the best short and long term?

Could be Sewelll...wasn't Jake a RT when he was drafted originally? You could totally move Kaleb to LG...in theory anyway. But, can't be afraid of the former regime having seemingly less-efficient usage. Long term > short term appearances (which could go a number of ways long term but you build in roster flexibility)...and if they intend on keeping Matt Ryan at QB...the OL is more important than a RB in of itself (IMO) with scheme to run the ball and ability to block more important than which back (as long as it isn't garbage).

Yep, it’s easy to see that Sewell is the most obvious guy. It’s a safe, bpa pick, where the odds of him busting are the least of any player in this draft. 

Someone else mentioned that there isn’t a lot of separation from a round one versus a round 2-3 edge guy this year, and I agree. 

So take Sewell, and then start building the defense. 

17 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Yep, it’s easy to see that Sewell is the most obvious guy. It’s a safe, bpa pick, where the odds of him busting are the least of any player in this draft. 

Someone else mentioned that there isn’t a lot of separation from a round one versus a round 2-3 edge guy this year, and I agree. 

So take Sewell, and then start building the defense. 

I agree. And McGary is limited in his lateral quickness and pass protection at the tackle spot. He played OT and OG in college. He and Sewell are both better run blockers. I think it would be an easy transition for McGary to OG. Sewell or Jake can take right tackle with the other at LT. Then all we need is a bona-fide center and a RB. 

Definitely would prefer a trade down, but if QBs go off the board 1, 2 and 3 (Miami takes a QB or trades back), then I think Sewell is our guy. No one is trading to #4 for Lance or Mac Jones most likely. We could even trade back one spot with Cincinnati so they get Sewell (probably unlikely).

Both TF and AS have talked about it starting in the trenches. This would solidify one trench for years.

I also expect Matthews to be restructured for cap space. 

6 hours ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Consider these points:

- AB and AS have talked about improving the run game and OL

- They have talked about retaining Ryan

- They still want to win now AND in the future

- The only 2 Blue Chip QBs(Wilson and Lawrence) will more tham likely be gone. I think Wilson is QB1 BTW. Very impressive talent and tape...

- The OL struggled in both aspectscts in 2020. 

- Our QB of the future will need a LT to pair with him. 

I think Penei Sewell, who is the BPA in the entire draft, will be the pick at 4, and im ok with that. Hes the best LT prospect since Joe Thomas, and that worked out into a gold jacket LT.

Them we could either:

- Trade Jake

- Move Jake to RT and McGary to LG.

- Start Penei at RT for a couple years(unlikely)

- Move Jake to LG

Either way, partially solidifying our OL for the next decade is worth the pick. It also maximizes the protection our future QB1 will need. 

I hope we don't trade Jake. That's my boy.