Biggest need is not CB, RB, EDGE or QB

Dr Long Shot

Biggest team need heading into the 2021 has got to be Safety. Our only decent safety last year was Neal, and he is a flawed player that has the injury question marks always hanging around him. Unfortunetaly it seems like this year's draft does not have any can't miss Safety prospects there in the early rounds so I think the question is how do we (can we?) address safety heading into next season? With slim pickings in the draft and salary cap issues restricting us in Free Agency doesn't seem like there is an easy clear path forward.

IMO considering the context keeping Neal at SS may be the best bet. The upside is that I think he can be a real factor and improve upon his very solid second half of last season in the Dean Pees defense and I think he will command a low market price. Along with bringing Neal back finding a potential replacement in the later rounds like a Hamsah Nasirildeen could give us some insurance in case he breaks down could be a solid plan at SS. On the other side we got Ricardo Allen/Kazee at FS. Allen flashed some decent play when he made his ascension to captain of the defense but he has been a massive liability since his string of injuries, Kazee is a disaster and should not be in the mix IMO. What do you guys think we should do here? Do you agree with bringning back Neal? What safety prospects could we bring in to either start or shore up both our S spots?

Edited by Dr Long Shot

• Dr Long Shot changed the title to Biggest need is not CB, RB, EDGE or QB
11 minutes ago, papachaz said:

no, according to general TATF logic,  it's quarterback, he's the only one on  the team that matters. it's his fault if anything goes wrong, and that includes on the defense too

New regime

Top 5 pick

QB strong class

It’s not hard to figure this out big man.

27 minutes ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

New regime

Top 5 pick

QB strong class

It’s not hard to figure this out big man.

I dunno, several around here seem to be having difficulty realizing a new coach with a 3 year contract isn't blowing up the veteran base he has and trying to appease the owner for that contract extension in a few years with a losing record by doing so

we've heard 'strong qb class' for every other (if not every) year for the last decade, LOL some here just can't get around there are guys from Kennesaw and Cartersville GA available this year

You start losing games when you think about we are away from this position and that position. 
Grab Surtain in draft, sign a FA safety and another NB like king in FA. The whole decisive backfield  will be upgraded. This gives more options up front. You can’t have a leak in secondary, QB will just target it. 

Safety has been our biggest need for like 4 years.

I said when we drafted Terrell that's it's foolish to expect him to help bolster our Pass D when you have Allen's weak *** standing behind him. Winfield should have been the pick.

Give me Moehrig, Cisco, Holland or Ford.

Edited by Snafu

33 minutes ago, slider said:

Not to mention Hennessy is a turnstile at both OG and OC. I'd love to see them come away with a Landon Dickerson or Josh Myers and my favorite thing would be to get Rashawn Slater and plug him into LG.  Of course that won't happen but I see left side interior O line as a problem right now.

So trade back and grab Slater? I could live with that. But I can see us going OC in the 3rd or 4th too, and picking up a couple of low cost OGs in FA (someone returning from injury maybe). I could also see us signing McGary's replacement. He seems to be a weak link at this point.

5 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

So trade back and grab Slater? I could live with that. But I can see us going OC in the 3rd or 4th too, and picking up a couple of low cost OGs in FA (someone returning from injury maybe). I could also see us signing McGary's replacement. He seems to be a weak link at this point.

I think McGary will be fine getting back into a more quick fire passing attack. Koetter had route timings that required 3.5 seconds to complete. In today's NFL anything over 3 is trouble for the guys on the outside. Just my opinion but I still like McGary. All of the lineman had trouble holding up in that scheme. Add no threat of a running game and it's really surprising to me that they played as well as they did really. I don't see much in Hennessey however. Hopefully the new scheme brings him around.

14 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I would love to see them luck up on someone like Will Little somewhere around the 4th round though. Swing tackle and eventual replacement for Mathews or McGary depending on contract situations.

10 minutes ago, slider said:

I think McGary will be fine getting back into a more quick fire passing attack. Koetter had route timings that required 3.5 seconds to complete. In today's NFL anything over 3 is trouble for the guys on the outside. Just my opinion but I still like McGary. All of the lineman had trouble holding up in that scheme. Add no threat of a running game and it's really surprising to me that they played as well as they did really. I don't see much in Hennessey however. Hopefully the new scheme brings him around.

I like McGary too. I was just looking at APY value and PFF grades, and surprisingly, he was pretty bad the last 2 years. You'd think he would improve at a higher rate than he has.

Actually wasn't he injured for the first year?

1 minute ago, celtiksage said:

I like McGary too. I was just looking at APY value and PFF grades, and surprisingly, he was pretty bad the last 2 years. You'd think he would improve at a higher rate than he has.

He was hurt for a bit of his rookie year, yes. He graded well the first half of last season but struggled to end the season, particularly in pass blocking. 

1 hour ago, slider said:

Not to mention Hennessy is a turnstile at both OG and OC. I'd love to see them come away with a Landon Dickerson or Josh Myers and my favorite thing would be to get Rashawn Slater and plug him into LG.  Of course that won't happen but I see left side interior O line as a problem right now.

He was a rookie during a pandemic. He very well could be better with better coaching 

2 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I think he had a knee issue but I see McGary getting out over his toes a lot. He wants to strike because he's an aggressive type guy but if he can tame that instinct he'll be OK I think but it would always be nice to have a backup plan in place.

1 minute ago, Atlantafan21 said:

He was hurt for a bit of his rookie year, yes. He graded well the first half of last season but struggled to end the season, particularly in pass blocking. 

Yeah and they said he had an MCL sprain this year. Maybe he wasn't 100% for a while after. I can't imagine he was okay after just missing one start. But yes, I'd like to see what Smith can do with him.

Can he play OG to help offset his pass protection issues (if we draft Sewell)?

38 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Safety has been our biggest need for like 4 years.

I said when we drafted Terrell that's it's foolish to expect him to help bolster our Pass D when you have Allen's weak *** standing behind him. Winfield should have been the pick.

Give me Moehrig, Cisco, Holland or Ford.

i'm huge on holland, love his ball-hawk instincts and am biased because he was born in my town (which i can fully admit). but i'd be happy with any of those guys, washington too.

3 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Biggest team need heading into the 2021 has got to be Safety. Our only decent safety last year was Neal, and he is a flawed player that has the injury question marks always hanging around him. Unfortunetaly it seems like this year's draft does not have any can't miss Safety prospects there in the early rounds so I think the question is how do we (can we?) address safety heading into next season? With slim pickings in the draft and salary cap issues restricting us in Free Agency doesn't seem like there is an easy clear path forward.

IMO considering the context keeping Neal at SS may be the best bet. The upside is that I think he can be a real factor and improve upon his very solid second half of last season in the Dean Pees defense and I think he will command a low market price. Along with bringing Neal back finding a potential replacement in the later rounds like a Hamsah Nasirildeen could give us some insurance in case he breaks down could be a solid plan at SS. On the other side we got Ricardo Allen/Kazee at FS. Allen flashed some decent play when he made his ascension to captain of the defense but he has been a massive liability since his string of injuries, Kazee is a disaster and should not be in the mix IMO. What do you guys think we should do here? Do you agree with bringning back Neal? What safety prospects could we bring in to either start or shore up both our S spots?

Re-sign Neal if he's inexpensive, otherwise move on. Target a FA safety - I love Anthony Harris, Marcus Williams, or Marcus Maye. Draft Ar'Darius Washington in the 2nd or 3rd (don't care if it's a "reach"). It's not perfect but it's a great start for an off-season. Wanna see Foye get more safety looks too

3 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

FS is at least the second biggest need. Maybe first. SS could be a need but I'm hoping Hawkins will rise. We've doubled up in the draft before at CB and OL. This may be the year to double up at safety.

The free agent market is dry with a couple guys that will be out of our range (Simmons, Harris). Neal will likely get good money on the market too and take us out of play.

The apple of my eye at safety so far is Moehrig. That could take a trade down or trade up. I like Cisco and Ford too. Trade down guys. Get more capital. Go BPA. Fill gaps with vets.