Saints renegotiate Brees contract

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yet I never see threads about dante fowler who is making as much as grady and provided nothing. Let's call out the ones actually stealing money instead of franchise greats.

🙄

How many times has he restructured for the team, ya know, the exact same thing Bree’s is doing?  It’s why his cap hit was 15-16 the last two years and is 40+ this year.  Weird that you’d give Brees cr

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

It could if Ryan agrees to it.. But the contract has already been made with Ryan.. And Ryan has not ever showed any interest in doing a team friendly deal so i seriously doubt itll ever happen until Ryan knows hes about to be replaced.. Right now, Ryan has all the leverage and he couldn't care less if his deal hurts the rest of the team.. Hes looking out for himself 

Edited by ⚡Slumerican⚡
21 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

It could if Ryan agrees to it.. But the contract has already been made with Ryan.. And Ryan has not ever showed any interest in doing a team friendly deal so i seriously doubt itll ever happen until Ryan knows hes about to be replaced.. Right now, Ryan has all the leverage and he couldn't care less if his deal hurts the rest of the team.. Hes looking out for himself 

🙄

2 hours ago, Slumerican said:

serious question, if it were you in the Not For Long, would you give away money you could earn? 

would you not look out for yourself first?

one argument that could be made, maybe justifiably so, is 'he's made plenty of money, he could give the team a break' 

while I can't argue against that, from a personal standpoint, there are not many guys who do it, or would do it. Unless maybe they have a supermodel wife who makes more than they do anyway. But how many times have we all heard, 'it's a business'.....the "TEAM" does what's in it's best interest, these guys better make what they can while they can. why give away the money that will set his family up for the rest of their lives

3 hours ago, Slumerican said:

I like to look out for myself, too.

2 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

The article says that an additional 11.5 mil would hit the Saints cap in 2022.

Does that mean the Saints are still kicking the can down the road?

Yes. We can do the same with guys like Ryan and Julio, however it will make it harder to cut or trade them which half of TATF seems to want to do.

2 hours ago, papachaz said:

serious question, if it were you in the Not For Long, would you give away money you could earn? 

one argument that could be made, maybe justifiably so, is 'he's made plenty of money, he could give the team a break' 

while I can't argue against that, from a personal standpoint, there are not many guys who do it, or would do it. Unless maybe they have a supermodel wife who makes more than they do anyway. But how many times have we all heard, 'it's a business'.....the "TEAM" does what's in it's best interest, these guys better make what they can while they can. why give away the money that will set his family up for the rest of their lives

Aren’t these guys supposed to want to actually win SBs though?

A veteran player who takes the maximum amount of $, leaves his team with less cap space to invest in the other talent around him, which reduces his chances of being successful.

I perfectly understand young players on rookie deals threatening to hold out and wanting to cash in on their second contracts, but veteran players who have already earned tens or hundreds of millions of dollars still wanting to take every single dime they can get makes no sense to me. I have no sympathy fir players like that who retire without a ring.

I am not suggesting that players like Ryan and Julio should play for peanuts, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want them to take a little less money to help the team. At the moment, I’d say that both players are more of a liability than an asset to us, because neither of them produce at a level that justifies their bloated contracts.

1 hour ago, papachaz said:

My feelings exactly. 

I personally have never been a professional athlete so I don’t know how it is, but I do know it’s crazy to expect someone to essentially give money away. (I would think I would “work with the team” AFTER I was financially set, but I can only speak for me and not some other man and his money)

Not only is that hard, the union he is in wouldn’t be all that happy about it either. 

3 minutes ago, ukfalc said:

A veteran player who takes the maximum amount of $, leaves his team with less cap space to invest in the other talent around him, which reduces his chances of being successful.

I perfectly understand young players on rookie deals threatening to hold out and wanting to cash in on their second contracts, but veteran players who have already earned tens or hundreds of millions of dollars still wanting to take every single dime they can get makes no sense to me. I have no sympathy fir players like that who retire without a ring.

I am not suggesting that players like Ryan and Julio should play for peanuts, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want them to take less money to help the team. At the moment ,I’d say that both players are more of a liability than an asset to us, because neither of them produce at a level that justifies their bloated contracts.

You responded by skipping the question. :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, ukfalc said:

I am not suggesting that players like Ryan and Julio should play for peanuts, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want them to take less money to help the team. At the moment ,I’d say that both players are more of a liability than an asset to us, because neither of them produce at a level that justifies their bloated contracts.

Yet I never see threads about dante fowler who is making as much as grady and provided nothing. Let's call out the ones actually stealing money instead of franchise greats.

29 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

You responded by skipping the question. :rolleyes:

Would I take less money than I could - yes I would. 100%.

I am not motivated by money. Other things are more important to me. I was a pro athlete who had already earned tens or hundreds of millions of pounds, then professional success would mean far more to me than adding to my bank balance.

4 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Woooooow!! 

4 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Wheres the lie?? Please show me at any time Ryan has made efforts for a team friendly deal to lower his cap hit to bring in more talent?? Ill be waiting "mr roll eyes" 

How many times has he restructured for the team, ya know, the exact same thing Bree’s is doing?  It’s why his cap hit was 15-16 the last two years and is 40+ this year.  Weird that you’d give Brees credit for this but not Ryan for some reason.

9 minutes ago, ukfalc said:

Would I take less money than I could - yes I would. 100%.

I am not motivated by money. Other things are more important to me. I was a pro athlete who had already earned tens or hundreds of millions of pounds, then professional success would mean far more to me than adding to my bank balance.

You say that **** now. 

5 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Just wow.

Dude, this is an apples and oranges thing. Brees signed his extension with the full idea of retiring after 2020 or 2021. He has around $22M of dead money now and the Saint's just did a little shell game shuffle where they can officially retire him after June 1 to manipulate the cap.

Ryan is still an active player with several years left in his career.

So to answer the OP question, NO Ryan CAN'T do something like this, because his extension was built around playing it out, while Brees was built around him retiring.

And JIC y'all wondering the ain'ts are likely to cut/restructure 10 or more players to get under the cap. They are around $60M further in the hole than Atlanta is.